Bumpers Assistance Please! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bumpers Assistance Please!

Shipmates!

This is your Captain speaking.....

I've been looking at a variety of Bumpers, mostly through Quadratec and 4WD. I'm wanting to Upgrade my Bumpers to something better than the Factory POS's currently on there. I'd something solid, that will absorb any incoming damage, rather than the occupants or the Jeep.

I told my wife I would cut holes into the tops of the off-going Stock Plastic Bumpers, paint them if necessary, place them on our deck in the back yard, and she could use them as Flower Planters! That's about the extent of their use, IMHO!

Anyway..... the setup I currently have, is Factory Foglights in the bumper, a Pre-Runner Light Bar with Twin 6" KC-127 Slim Lite Fogs attached to the Pre-Runner Light Bar, shown here:

Now, this is the criteria I need:

New bumpers must:

- Have Factory Fog cut-outs to fit Stock Fogs in there.
- Have a Hoop or Pre-Runner Light Bar to re-attach my KC's to.
- Must be Trail-Friendly to be able to attach a Tow Strap, to Pull/Be Pulled out if required.
- Be reasonably priced to fit my budget!

BTW, a Winch Capable Bumper is NOT going to be a criteria, as I don't intend to do any hardcore Krawlin', just some good off-road dirt and beach action.

The ones I'm focusing on right now, and that seem to fit my needs, are the Rugged Ridge Tube Bumpers in Textured Black. Here are their links:

Front Tube Bumper (Link)

Rear Tube Bumper (Link)

Side Step Bars (Link)

If you'll notice the prices listed in the above links, that's about the Price-Range I'm looking at, maybe a bit more.

I really liked the Smittybilt Bumpers, but the Front Bumper didn't have the Fog Cut-Outs. Bummer!

If ANYONE, has a bumper mounted like I'm looking for above, please show me some pics, and let me know your Pros/Cons of the bumper.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cheers!

BB

Blackbeard

'09 Yellow Wrangler X JK - "Scooter"

-Sony CDX-GT540UI Head Unit
-Alpine SPR-17C Coaxial 6.5" Speakers
-Alpine SPR-17S Component 6.5" Speakers With Tweeters & Crossovers
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 400W 4-Ch Amp
-Factory Half-Doors & Full-Doors
-Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Tires
-Black Rock Viper 900 Tungsten 17" Wheels
-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

I really like the Rugged Ridge set up.

They're modular and can come with a radiator hood instead of a stinger and run full width if you want that as well. Here's a link to everything you can do with the XHD series: http://www.ruggedridgeoffroad.com/je...hd-bumpers.php

I understand the Jeep thing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 12:50 AM
Rock God

I just ordered the Mopar offroad bumper with winch mount and fog lights (P.N. 82211715AB http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-bu...umber=82211715). But I really like the Rugged Ridge Modular bumper (http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/r..._bumper/jk.php) 'cuz you can configure it however you want it.

Both bumpers retain the factory fog lights.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 AM
Granite Guru

I've seen tube bumpers bend with only a slight impact. I was also rearended by a yj with chrome tube bumpers and even though it was just a minor impact it squished the front tube bumper to a nice flat/oval shape. Tube bumpers don't get my vote! The rugged ridge modular seems to be built much better and it is priced close to tube bumpers. IMO

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #5 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 07:03 AM
Granite Guru

Get the ARB Bullbars!
post #6 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Wheeler

Lots and lots of brands to choose from. Rockhard makes some nice ones with the factory fogs and you can get a variety of widths. The words cheap and quality usually dont go hand in hand, but that is just my experience.

I had a set of the tube bumpers come in for a guy, like the ones you linked, and I could not believe there was a bumper in that box. It was so light compared to the heavy duty steel products I am used to handling.

Rocket City Offroad Inc.
1645 Elk Street
Rock Springs, WY 82901
(307) 362-7925
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 07:42 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
I just ordered the Mopar offroad bumper with winch mount and fog lights (P.N. 82211715AB http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-bu...umber=82211715). But I really like the Rugged Ridge Modular bumper (http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/r..._bumper/jk.php) 'cuz you can configure it however you want it.

Both bumpers retain the factory fog lights.
I have the mopar off road with winch and fogs on my 2010. It is an excellent bumper that you can get without the winch mount. The only issue I had during installation was the fog light extensions did not have the correct connections. I had to cut and solder them in. I think the connections were for the 09 or earlier.

The cheapest I found the bumper was $520 on the internet. I think shipping was $75. You can google the part number above to find the best prices.

2010 Rubicon Unlimited
Deep water blue

MODS:
2 1/2 Teraflex coil lift
TF Front Lower Control Arms
TF HD Front Track Bar
JKS Rear Track Bar
JKS rear sway bar links
Poison Spyder EVAP Skid
MOPAR Slush Mats
Spydertrax 1.5 spacers
B&M Transmission Cooler
Mopar front bumper with fog lights
Warn M8000
post #8 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2032Ceta View Post
I have the mopar off road with winch and fogs on my 2010. It is an excellent bumper that you can get without the winch mount. The only issue I had during installation was the fog light extensions did not have the correct connections. I had to cut and solder them in. I think the connections were for the 09 or earlier.

The cheapest I found the bumper was $520 on the internet. I think shipping was $75. You can google the part number above to find the best prices.
I found the MOPAR bumper with winch and fog lights at dodgepartsonline.net for $489 + 10% shipping

I also found a fog light adapter wiring somewhere online but haven't ordered. It may address the issue you mention.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #9 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

Don't go with the Tube Bumpers. They will not last!

I'd also recommend the XHD. Meets all your stated requirements (non-winch version, recovery points, hoop available to mount lights, and expandable to full width if you want.

Remember Quadratec will also price match. I picked my XHD front up for $274.

The side steps you posted won't hold up to any abuse either. A hit from a rock/tree on the trail or a car on the street will bend them right in and probably allow damage to the body too. for the price range, I'd recommend a set of enhanced MOPAR Rubi Rails.

The rear, there are a lot of choices out there that are reasonably priced and made with plate steel.

post #10 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Rock God

LoD bumpers... Best price at RDM Offroad
http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/home.php?cat=23

08 Silver Sahara Unlimited...

post #11 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
Don't go with the Tube Bumpers. They will not last!

I'd also recommend the XHD. Meets all your stated requirements (non-winch version, recovery points, hoop available to mount lights, and expandable to full width if you want.

Remember Quadratec will also price match. I picked my XHD front up for $274.

The side steps you posted won't hold up to any abuse either. A hit from a rock/tree on the trail or a car on the street will bend them right in and probably allow damage to the body too. for the price range, I'd recommend a set of enhanced MOPAR Rubi Rails.

The rear, there are a lot of choices out there that are reasonably priced and made with plate steel.
Where did you find the XHD for 274.00 ?
post #12 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

$274 is expensive!I paid $230 for my XHD 4wd.com had 10% of fand free shipping plus they price matched amazon.com

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #13 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm sure you'll get more input on this thread than you'll have time to read! I'm running an RR XHD front w/ stinger and a Rancho w/ tire swing out back.

As to the nerf steps.... I had those exact ones. The brackets hang in such a way that they catch on rocks or stumps (which mine did) and the tube gauge is such that they deform easily (which mine also did.) So I replaced them (get this!) with the exact same steps. I like them. I'd prefer rockers but my wife is only 5' tall and needs a step. There are lots of rockers with steps that I could choose from, but I dare you to find a better STEP than this one. It's big, it has a flat step so she doesn't slip off trying to get in, and it sits far enough off the body to climb up with ease. Oh, and they're cheap. So cheap that if you do use it like a rocker (it's a VERY POOR rocker) you can throw it out and buy another one.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #14 of 14 Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepboy View Post
Where did you find the XHD for 274.00 ?
Zaib4x4.com Their prices has increased 50 bucks since I picked mine up, but they are still cheaper than Q-tec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
$274 is expensive!I paid $230 for my XHD 4wd.com had 10% of fand free shipping plus they price matched amazon.com
Great Deal!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode