Radio Randomly Changing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Radio Randomly Changing

I just got my 2015 Unlimited Rubicon with the 430 nav a week or so ago and having problems with the radio. I have my ipod plugged in to the usb port inside the center console. Every now and then when playing the Ipod it will just pause the music randomly (if you hit the touchscreen pause button it starts playing again fine), on occasion when you turn the car off and then back on it changes back to FM, and then driving down the freeway today it just randomly switched from the Ipod to FM without any control input.

Before I take it back to the dealer and leave it there for an endless period of time only for them to say they can't replicate the problem or blame it on my ipod (that works flawlessly in my other cars), is this a common problem and just write it off as Chrysler buggy interface?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I'm guessing that it's the ghost of some kitten that inadvertently died shortly after you first called your Jeep a car.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 12 Old 10-24-2014, 05:08 AM
Granite Guru

My radio seems to work fine playing tunes from my smarty phone or wired iPod.

On the other hand, my Direct TV will randomly switch to Spanish speaking stations. I believe it'd be easier to just learn Spanish than to get DTV to do anything.

edited to add: I also have the Uconnect 430 system. Everything seems to work just fine with the exception of the voice recognition software. I can tell it to call Dumbass and it tries to call my brother. Don't know if that's a system glitch or not but it's pretty dang funny.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by soonerfan85; 10-24-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Rock God

Good morning, my name is Mike and I have addiction issues.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaZ View Post
is this a common problem and just write it off as Chrysler buggy interface?
Maybe. Sometimes mine reverts back to FM when I start the Jeep, and it resets all the equalizer settings. PITA, but not as much of a PITA as bringing it back to the dealer for a bunch of dumb looks and head scratching.

-Jeff
post #6 of 12 Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 PM

I have had problems with mine. There is a short between the driver seat and the steering wheel on mine! I have several times inadvertently hit the stereo buttons on the back of the steering wheel. Annoying! Sounds too simple, but could that be your trouble too?
post #7 of 12 Old 11-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Granite Guru

Congratulations. Your Jeep is actually a Transformer, and its attempting to communicate with you....

Sorry...no sensible suggestions for your problem.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-02-2014, 01:13 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post
My radio seems to work fine playing tunes from my smarty phone or wired iPod.

On the other hand, my Direct TV will randomly switch to Spanish speaking stations. I believe it'd be easier to just learn Spanish than to get DTV to do anything.

edited to add: I also have the Uconnect 430 system. Everything seems to work just fine with the exception of the voice recognition software. I can tell it to call Dumbass and it tries to call my brother. Don't know if that's a system glitch or not but it's pretty dang funny.
For your Direct TV issue reprogram the Address on your Remote. Someone is hitting the same remote frequency your remote is set to. I work for Dish Network and see the issue a good bit.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

To OP... I know when my phone is connected via Bluetooth that occasionally it will just have issues and disconnect from the radio, which immediately reverts the radio to fm. Now in this case I think my s4 is partially at fault because I root it and play with different roms, etc. I really wish I could set the radio to default to something else when it discos, but if that exists I haven't found it yet.

I've seen all kinds of weird behavior when I try to USB anything with the radio... No patterns or reasonable explanations on that from me though.

BTW, 730 nav in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
So I guess you're calling him a dick for pointing out something dangerous, which kinda makes you a dick for calling him out and well holy fuck, it makes me a dick for calling you a dick.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-02-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Not an issue with the steering wheel buttons - unless they are really freaquin' sensitive. It happened the other day when my hands were all the way at the top of the wheel.

It was annoying as sometimes when the Ipod would go away, it would try and stream music from my phone via Bluetooth - I have no music on my phone. So, turned that setting off on my phone. Didn't affect the root problem though.

Called the dealer; they said bring it in as there could be a software update or something. So, took it in. Of course, already have the latest software and they couldn't find anything wrong with it and says it is operating "normal".

Guess low quality buggy electronics is "normal" for a jeep - not surprising.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaZ View Post
I just got my 2015 Unlimited Rubicon with the 430 nav a week or so ago and having problems with the radio. I have my ipod plugged in to the usb port inside the center console. Every now and then when playing the Ipod it will just pause the music randomly (if you hit the touchscreen pause button it starts playing again fine), on occasion when you turn the car off and then back on it changes back to FM, and then driving down the freeway today it just randomly switched from the Ipod to FM without any control input.

Before I take it back to the dealer and leave it there for an endless period of time only for them to say they can't replicate the problem or blame it on my ipod (that works flawlessly in my other cars), is this a common problem and just write it off as Chrysler buggy interface?
Wait, where is the white monster at

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-02-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Wait, where is the white monster at
The white monster is still in my garage. That's my rock crawler and keeping it - plus, have WAY too much money in that rig to get rid of it. lol But now that its not 8,540 degrees outside here, need to get it back on the trail when I'm back from vacation after Thanksgiving.

The 15' is my overland build - needed a vehicle for my place in Colorado. Jeep's are a little like Harleys - need two so you have something to drive when the other is in the shop. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode