What to look for in a Jeep for new owners? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

What to look for in a Jeep for new owners?

Im brand new to the Jeep scene - I actually don't own one yet, but I am looking. I want to see if I can get some advise from all of you aficionados out there.

-----------

What sets the JK apart from the other Wranglers? Is it just extras that come on the standard Wrangler?

What kind of motor should I look for? Ive heard that the straight 6 is the way to go as the motor last forever. Is there any reason to getting anything other than that? Is there any reason to worry about a Jeep that has over 100k miles if it has the straight 6 and has been taken care of? I want to use this both as a daily driver and as a bit of fun on the weekends. Nothing serious as far as the fun, just maybe take it off road etc.

Do I get the manual or automatic? I would assume manual if I want to do anything other than drive on pavement.

What can I expect to happen to mileage with all of the upgrades that you guys put on the Jeeps? I understand that putting a turbo on can improve mileage a bit, but Im not sure if that is necessary.

Are jeeps that are configured in a way, like the ones in the 'For Sale' section conducive to drive on the road as well as off?

-----------

Im sure I will think of more question. I really appreciate any advice that you can impart on me! Im really excited to start this search and hopefully become a member of the Jeep community. By the way, I am not afraid to buy off of forums as I have purchased 3 motorcycles off forums, 1 off ebay, and my car off of craigslist. So, if I by something, it will more than likely be from here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 AM
Rock God

Have you ever been offroad in a jeep, truck, buggy or atv before? If not, and based on some of your questions I would assume not, I would highly suggest find someone with an offroad vehicle and have them take you out for a weekend test. It really depends on what you want to do.

My goal when I bought my 2014 Rubicon was the following.

1. Daily driver to and from work (reliability)
2. Enough room for the entire family to enjoy offroading (bought the 4 door model)
3. Wanted as much power as possible from the factory (bought the 2012 or newer model with the 3.6L) turbos and superchargers and hemi's and ls swaps are cool as shit but you better have the knowledge and coin to back it up...which I do not.
4. Automatic transmission cause I hate fighting a clutch on and offroad, especially on hill climbs (lots of opinions on this one)
5. Must be capable of pulling my 3,000 lb boat.
6. Easy to modify and a ton of aftermarket support (only vehicle I know of that you can trim a few fenders and pinch seams and stuff 35" tires under it and hit some crazy ass trails, yes you will scrape everywhere but it works.
7. Wanted lockers, beefiest axles from factory as possible and lowest possible factory gear ratio 4.10's and the 4:1 tcase so of course I bought the rubicon model, you start getting into swapping tcases, gears and axles you better have some experience or an open checkbook to pay someone else to do it and be prepared for the downtime, another reason I chose a factory ready vehicle.

These are some good points to think about. If you want an older model to wrench on all the time then disregard most of what I said, I've had the older models and spent more time fixing shit than I did wheeling it. My daughter is growing up fast and I want to take her out not spend all the time working on it.

Mileage is crap on all jeep models really, if you are looking for mpg buy a prius. If youre looking for a damn good time, buy a jeep.

What sets the jk apart from a tj, cy, yj, xj: I could type for hours but best thing to do is go ride in a TJ and then a JK, you will quickly see the difference, however a TJ and JK both kick ass.

People in the for sale section have configured each jeep so differently the only way I would buy one of those is to test drive it and have someone with experience look it over for you. Thats a crap shoot IMO. Reason I bought a brand new no one had touched.

There is a ton of jeeps out there with that 4.0 straight 6, I know they have had some issues along the way and I'm sure someone else could fill you in better than I on that.

Hope this helps and these are only my opinions. I am still learning the whole jeep thing and ins and outs of the jk myself.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.

Last edited by stretch79; 10-22-2014 at 07:54 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

The JK has better on-road drive-ability, comfort and safety features than the previous generations of Wranglers. Plus, you can get it in a 4-door, which for some of us, was a HUGE deal.

In the US, JK's only came with 2 motors the early 3.8 and the current 2012 and newer 3.6. Of the two the 3.6 is preferable. If you have the cash, you can swap the 3.8 or 3.6 out for a Hemi of Chevy LS V-8. Supercharging either the 3.8 or the 3.6 is an option as well. Definitely, if you get an older Jeep look for the 4.0 straight 6. IT is one of the best motors of all time. 100k on a well maintained straight 6 is not a big deal, to me at least.

Auto or manual is really personal preference. I like my manual, but many guys wheel hard on the automatic slushboxes.

As you upgrade, you will lose mileage. Bigger tires and heavy bumpers/equipment increase weight or drag. There's no good way around it. Supercharging, and gear changes can help, but nobody's getting "great" mileage in their JK, unless maybe the have the European diesel.

It's possible to modify a JK past the point where reasonable people consider it a daily driver. I don't know exactly which one(s) in the sale section you are looking at, but after some point, the more heavily it's modified, the more likely there will be some daily driving drawbacks.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 07:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just so we are on the same page....

are you looking for a

Jeep?........ just a brand name
Wrangler?..all of the good ones
or a JK?....the newest wrangler

The stright 6 no longer in the wrangler...not for a long time

If you are looking to get a JK I would buy stock (ish) and just see what that bad boy can do...(you will be surprised)

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.

Last edited by Blackout; 10-22-2014 at 08:02 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Know this going into it.

Jeeps are slow no matter what engine you get. NO, a CAI and aftermarket exhaust will not net you anything and CAI's are NOT a good idea for Jeeps if you plan to be offroad around any water.

Jeeps get terrible gas mileage. Expect 14 to 15 mpg. If you get better, whoohoo.

Jeeps have one of the largest aftermarkets for vehicles. There are many choices to make so know what you want to do with the Jeep before you buy anything.

Highly modified Jeeps can still run down the highway at 80mph without any issues if it is setup correctly using quality parts.

There aren't any magic bullets for Jeeps - meaning quality cost money. There is a reason some lifts are $800 and what looks like the same components for another lift are $2000.

Plan on spending hours and hours reading threads here an on other forums. You'll find the answers to the majority of your questions. Don't be surprised if you don't get an answer to your thread about What Is The Best Lift, because that question has been asked a 1000 times. After you do some reading a research, then post your questions, we'll be happy to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
Just so we are on the same page....

are you looking for a

Jeep?
Wrangler?
or a JK?

The stright 6 no longer in the wrangler...not for a long time
lol and the jk is a jeep and it is a wrangler but not all wranglers are jk's but all wranglers are jeeps and not all jeeps are wranglers or jk's, clear as mud?

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Start here. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #8 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

All of this information helped immensely. Its giving me a starting point and some things to think about before I continue to move forward. Thanks for all the advice.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

lets not forget the wranglers even in stock form, rock in bad weather

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #10 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltar View Post
What sets the JK apart from the other Wranglers? Ride is the big one (for me). I think others have said about the 35" tires with little modifications. Is it just extras that come on the standard Wrangler?

What kind of motor should I look for? Ive heard that the straight 6 is the way to go as the motor last forever. Is there any reason to getting anything other than that? Is there any reason to worry about a Jeep that has over 100k miles if it has the straight 6 and has been taken care of? I want to use this both as a daily driver and as a bit of fun on the weekends. Nothing serious as far as the fun, just maybe take it off road etc.depends on the year of your jeep. If you're looking at an older jeep, definately the 4.0 straight 6. If you're looking for a JK, get the 3.6 liter.

Do I get the manual or automatic? I would assume manual if I want to do anything other than drive on pavement. That's up to you. I have a manual, but that's what I've driven most of my life.

What can I expect to happen to mileage with all of the upgrades that you guys put on the Jeeps? I understand that putting a turbo on can improve mileage a bit, but Im not sure if that is necessary. A turbo will not help because you'll always have your foot in it. I say this from previous experience. The only upgrades to my jeep at this time is a stereo setup. I have a sport (that came with the awful base setup) with an m6 and 3.21 gears. I'm averaging 21.6mpg hand calculated overall. Krista (wifey) said I drive like a grandpa and my commute is 18miles one way. It's about 50/50 highway/city street. I do try to time things so I hit as many green lights as possible though.

Are jeeps that are configured in a way, like the ones in the 'For Sale' section conducive to drive on the road as well as off?

-----------

Im sure I will think of more question. I really appreciate any advice that you can impart on me! Im really excited to start this search and hopefully become a member of the Jeep community. By the way, I am not afraid to buy off of forums as I have purchased 3 motorcycles off forums, 1 off ebay, and my car off of craigslist. So, if I by something, it will more than likely be from here!
Sorry I can't be of much help on buying an older jeep. Someone with much more knowledge can help you. I just wouldn't want to steer you down the wrong path. Hope this helps.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #11 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Granite Guru

How to you expect to be using your Jeep? What state do you live in? Will you be going out of state to play?

The JK model is longer and wider than previous Jeep models, which translates to more room inside. If you will use her as a daily driver and only take weekend trips on mainly dirt or forest service roads, then a Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door with a 2" budget boost and 33" Duratracs would be just fine. If you plan to hit the local Jeep trails or make the pilgrimage to the Jeep trails in Colorado, Utah Arizona or California, then maybe a lightly modified Rubicon would be the way to go. The 4 door JKUs are a must have if you have a family to haul around, and about any disadvantage they have vs a 2 door JK offroading can be overcome by a 3-4 lift. If you plan to heavily mod your Jeep and routinely run the tougher Jeep trails, then go with a 2 door as they weigh less to start with.

My Jeep is my daily driver, all 6 miles roundtrip to work and back never breaking 30mph. The JKU is comfortable enough on the road to use for trips of 4 or 5 hours. I use mine on the backroads on weekends and am planning a couple of trips back to CO and UT next year, so the modding process has begun. Just remember that weight is a Jeeps biggest enemy. It's really noticible how much lighter the Jeep feels when you remove the top and doors! You really have to look at whether or not you NEED heavy metal bumpers, tire carriers and winches for the kind of offroading you do. Wishing now I'd gone with aluminum bumper and rock rails.

Good luck.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

Last edited by soonerfan85; 10-23-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode