OEM hardtop or Aftermarket - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OEM hardtop or Aftermarket

Well I have spent a year looking for a used hardtop locally or at least a decent driving distance and came up with a big fat 0. I am taking a loan out from the bank to purchase either an OEM top from the dealer or I am thinking about buying a Bull Dawg after market hard top. After all said and done the after market one would be about $1000.00 cheaper and its a one piece instead of a 3 piece freedom top. I keep hearing horror stories about the freedom top and water leaks so I am leaning towards the Bull Dawg hard top. Love the looks of it. Just wish I could find more reviews about it. Kinda scary ordering something so far away with out being able to take a 1st hand look. Anyone out there have any experience with the Bull Dawg hard top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Rock God

Too bad your not in Dallas, I just put my non leaking freedom top up for sale on craigslist.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-21-2014, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch79 View Post
Too bad your not in Dallas, I just put my non leaking freedom top up for sale on craigslist.
This is how its gone for over a year. All tops are like 1000 miles away. I can find tons close to me but all of them have been for the 4 door unlimited models. I need one for a 2 door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-21-2014, 06:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

New or used, it has to be shipped. Figure shipping from Dallas to ND.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #5 of 11 Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Rock God

Mine is a 4 door, he is looking for a 2 door. Just realized that.

You might call Collins Bros jeeps, they have a ton and prolly have experience shipping these things.

Collins Bros Jeep
3101 W. FM544
Wylie, TX 75098
(972) 442-6189
(800) 699-JEEP
(972) 442-2123 Fax

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Wheeler

I live in Chattanooga where Bull Dawg is located. I'd rather have a single piece top for my two door too. I will strongly consider them over OEM when I buy a hard top in the next couple years. I don't need the defroster, sprayer, or wiper on mine. I'll research that more before I make a decision. It's at least $350 in parts and several hours of my labor to replace the stalk and add wiring for all those accessories.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
I live in Chattanooga where Bull Dawg is located. I'd rather have a single piece top for my two door too. I will strongly consider them over OEM when I buy a hard top in the next couple years. I don't need the defroster, sprayer, or wiper on mine. I'll research that more before I make a decision. It's at least $350 in parts and several hours of my labor to replace the stalk and add wiring for all those accessories.
The wiper is pretty much worthless, small sweep area and if you have anything more than a 33" spare the window's pretty much blocked anyway. The Freedom Tops on mine have been off maybe twice in five + years, the second time when I installed a cage a few weeks ago. The Bull Dawgs look like nice tops.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

My Freedom Top ( like a lot of them) leaked a little bit too... right up at the front in between the panels. Water would drip onto the upper dash right above the stereo head unit.

But that being said, I think that serious consideration should be made in regards to how much the hard-top will be used.

I wouldn't have ever considered any other single-piece hard-top because of the absolutely awesome aspect that I could run without the top yet still retain the front panels. That to me was a fantastic option to have. I could have the Jeep completely open including having the doors off, but keep the front panels in place which provided a great amount of shade. That shade can be much needed and appreciated in terms of keeping the sun out of your eyes and the heat off of you and your front passenger.

Had I not had the rear portion of the top off so often as I did, and maybe if I lived up north where the temperatures weren't so brutal, then maybe the freedom-panels wouldn't have been such an insanely useful and appreciated option... dunno. But here in Texas it was simply wonderful to have those front panels providing some additional comfort throughout the year.

Just something to consider. If you plan to have the top on most of the time then everything I've said is probably not going to be as important.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #9 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
It's at least $350 in parts and several hours of my labor to replace the stalk and add wiring for all those accessories.
ER, uh, . . . no. It isn't. The part is just under 200 if you don't have heated mirrors, and 135 if you do, here: http://moparonlineparts.com/advanced..._description=1

You can pretty easily install it yourself in a couple of hours' time. It's not complicated. You'll have to add in the dealer flash to upgrade the computer and the cost for that will vary by area -- what the market will bear.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #10 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Granite Guru

Might want to wait to see what SEMA has in store from Bestop soon.

http://tawallaccess.com/2014/10/17/b...014-sema-show/

Who knows?

By the way, my brother lives in Grand Forks and I graduated HS in Wahpeton. Last year of the WOPS, if you get that reference.

2009 Red Rock Rubi-MetalCloak Gamechanger + armor-37"MTR/K on 17" Birddogs-Teraflex gusset+sleeve-Yukon 5.38-LineX tub-ORH top-Igees-Shrockworks stubby-Warn Powerplant w/Viking synth
Tuffy-Genright rear-River Raider full skid-Tattons-AEV slider-Advance adapters-Poly stuff everywhere-ZERO rockrawler!!!!!! shiiite
post #11 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 01:58 AM
Rock God

I just recently purchased a new 2014 Rubicon. I opted to go for a hard top on the new purchase. I was interested in the dual top group but could not find one close enough in the color I was after(Anvil). I figure it is cheaper to add a soft top down the road then a hard top. I have had my jeep out in some pretty heavy down pours since I purchased it and have had zero leaks. Both freedom panels have been off since I brought it home so I could run a Sat antenna line, and just wanted to see how the top cam apart.

My vote would be for a factory multi piece hard top as I think it was pretty well thought out design. I can see me removing the rear section next summer and storing it and just keeping the fronts with me as a sun shade. I think the 1 piece design leads opens the door for too many chances to break something as the top is put off and on because of the awkwardness of the shape and size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode