Test driving 2015 Wranglers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-18-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Test driving 2015 Wranglers

Hi all,

After dreaming of owning a Wrangler for the past 25 years, I finally decided this is the year I'm getting one! I had every intention on buying a 2 door Sport, but the first dealer that I went to had none on the lot. Instead they had me test drive a Sahara. Today I went to another dealer, and test drove the Sport. Is there a reason that I felt the Sahara drove a lot more smoothly than the Sport? The Sport was a pretty bumpy ride. I thought the only differences between the Sahara & the Sport were cosmetic features, am I wrong about that?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Rock God

Was the Sport a 4dr as well?
post #3 of 17 Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Both the Sahara and the Sport that I test drove were 2 door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Rock God

Ah, I got confused.
The Sahara has "Heavy Duty Suspension with Gas Shocks".
Check out the Jeep™ site and compare models.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-18-2014, 10:41 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Yep, the sport has 225/75-16 tires on steel wheels with hydraulic shocks. The Sahara will typically have 18 inch alloy wheels/tires with the gas charged shocks like the Rubicon. Makes a difference in ride quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Yeah like Chris said if the sport was a B package it has crappy tiny shocks. The "S" package has the same shocks as the sahara. I just bought a 2dr 24s.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #7 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Granite Guru

Now If you'r going to really wheel your wrangler you will probably change those items in the first few mods anyway . Getting the Sahara ,will get pinstriped on the first off road experience anyway . Painted fenders don't lend them selves to pretty for very long in trail situations . How you use the Jeep is going to determine the model you should choose , mallcrawler Sahara , Sport Wheeler......regards k.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Rock God

one other factor could have been the first one had the tire psi set correctly and the 2nd could have been pumped up to 45psi or something like that.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
one other factor could have been the first one had the tire psi set correctly and the 2nd could have been pumped up to 45psi or something like that.
Factory air pressure for the '14 rubi was 37 pounds, tires had 41 in them when I test drove it. WOW did it ride like crap, lowered to 32 now but have idiot light on so Flashpaq is on the way.
Get the whatever one shoots your fancy, I wish I had gotten the 430N radio mainly because of the "favorites" feature on the Sirrius side. The ride really don't matter much if your going to lift as most lifts like the AEV, TerraFlex will right much better than stock anyway.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I was test driving the Sport S. So you're saying it should have had the same shocks as the Sahara? I really want a Sport S, I just like the way it looks better than the Sahara (don't care for the silver accents). But if the Sahara ride does have better shocks and a smoother ride, I might give in and opt for that.

Opinions?
post #11 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Rock God

no they have different shocks but even the sahara shocks are not great. I would not let the price of aftermarket shocks sway your decision. shocks are easily replaced with better shocks for decent price.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
no they have different shocks but even the sahara shocks are not great. I would not let the price of aftermarket shocks sway your decision. shocks are easily replaced with better shocks for decent price.
This.^

Plus, if you don't want to spend the money you can always keep an eye out and pick up very low mile Rubicon shocks (gas charged) for free or next to nothing on here or your local Craigslist and get the same ride the Sahara has, being that they are the same shock.

Or, just drop a few Benny's on some Bilsteins or Rancho 7 or 9 series shocks and have an even better ride quality with added performance on and offroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

i have OEM factory equip heavy duty gas shocks and love them.

my lil '07 X have a few sweet surprises ordered from factory over a normal x.

anyhow if they still use the same heavy duty gas shock i have, yes you will feel a bit more BUT mine have taken a beating so far and keep coming back.

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...

Last edited by LoneJK; 10-19-2014 at 10:37 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirllisa View Post
I really want a Sport S, I just like the way it looks better than the Sahara (don't care for the silver accents). But if the Sahara ride does have better shocks and a smoother ride, I might give in and opt for that.

Opinions?
FYI, the Gay Silver accents are just screwed onto the bumpers, they are easily removed.

If the S has all the options you want though the others are right, replacing shocks should get you as good or better ride.

Jeepless
post #15 of 17 Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

What everybody else said . . . and . . . don't let a dealer push you into spending money you don't want to spend, especially for something that's not what you really want. Order it if you have to, and stick to your guns. It's too big of a purchase to settle for less than exactly what you went there to buy. And don't be afraid to walk out and go to another dealer who will work with you and for you. They're out there.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #16 of 17 Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Granite Guru

Question related to purchase of new Jeep that OP may find helpful.

Can you still buy a new Jeep for 1% below invoice if you are a member of Tread Lightly? I think you had to be a member for at least 30 days before you got the discount code from TL. Might be worth looking into, especially if you end up ordering a new Jeep and have to wait anyhow.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

post #17 of 17 Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post
Question related to purchase of new Jeep that OP may find helpful.

Can you still buy a new Jeep for 1% below invoice if you are a member of Tread Lightly? I think you had to be a member for at least 30 days before you got the discount code from TL. Might be worth looking into, especially if you end up ordering a new Jeep and have to wait anyhow.
Yep I use them all the time for my customers

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode