2007 3.8 knocking after switch to Mobile 1 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

2007 3.8 knocking after switch to Mobile 1

I bought my Rubicon about 6 months ago been doing a bunch of work to it the oil looked clean so I waited 3000 miles, and changed it with some Mobile 1 I had 5-20 in it per what the oil fill cap says. When I was out wheeling last week we stopped at a BLM sign I got out to read it and left the engine running heard a rod knock. I only hear the knocking noise after it warms up so it could be piston slap which isn't always a big deal. I know that rod knocking was not there before. Maybe I should have left this engine on Dyno oil. Its got about 78k on it but it might be little high because the old owner didn't calibrate the speedo correctly and it is reading about 5 mph faster then you are really going I corrected it with the tuner he gave me. Maybe Ill try a heavier oil 5-20 seems light for Arizona heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

I think 5-20 is too light and you will find lots of information online about not using that weight in the 3.8 even though it's recommended. I run 10-30 In mine and it has stopped all of the cold start engine noise.

The 5-20 is recommended to get better MPG in the 3.8. Even though the block is a 25 year old design that was intended for 10-30. Lots of posts on this subject, go do some searching....
post #3 of 7 Old 10-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had the same problem in my 07. I switched to 5-30 and the knock pretty much went away. The engine also went from losing a quart every 1k to a quart every 2k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

mine had a rattle like a spray can, burnt 1.5quart 5W20 oil every 800-1k miles untill i switched to quakerstate 5w30 dino. no more oil burn(execpt like 1/4 quart at 2.6K miles)
my '07 Squirrel powered 3.8 loves the heavier lube

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Rock God

had 50K in my old JK used penziol platunum and or Mobile 1 depending on what was available at the store 5W20 and never had issues.

Use Mobile 1 in my SRT8 and have never had issues with that either?

2014 JKU Rubicon, 2007 Superbee #692/1000, BMC Hooligan (my chopper yea it's a Rigid)
"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
- Ronald Reagan 40th President of the United States (1981-1989)
post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2014, 02:47 AM
Rock God

Been running the 5w30 for over 77,000 and no problems at all.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Ill try moving up to 10/30 a friend says he only uses 15/50 Mobile 1 I used to use that in older cars I had. I wonder how much of a difference it will be. I just wondered if there were any rod knock issues with these motors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode