esp light - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

esp light

why when i go down a ramp a little fast the like comes on?

2013 JKU Commando Green
3.5 inch Metalcloack
Fox 2.0 performance shocks
35s Toyo M/T on 18 inch mayham wheels
DV8 offroad front bumper
Flowmaster exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

It's the ESP activating. Safety feature that many (including myself) believes is not necessary on the JK. It is intended to correct for over/ under steering, by applying the brake on a certain wheel, to counteract the adverse condition. Sometimes the engine power is also reduced when the ESP activates. The ESP light will flash when the tires supposedly lose traction.

If it bothers you too much, you can disable it by:

*Shifting the transfer case into 4H.
*Turning the steering wheel until perfectly centered.
*Cycling the ignition key OFF to ON.
*Waiting approx 5 seconds.
*Turning and holding the steering wheel 1/2 turn to the right.
*Pressing and holding the ESP OFF button for 7 seconds.
*Turning the steering wheel back to center, and turning/ holding it 1/2 turn to the left.
*Turning the steering wheel back to center.
*Pressing/ holding the ESP OFF button for 7 seconds.
*Cycling the ignition key to OFF.

After adequately performing these functions, the ESP OFF will be displayed for approx 12 seconds each time the Jeep is turned on. Repeating the functions will re-enable the ESP again.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

great to know thanks alot man

2013 JKU Commando Green
3.5 inch Metalcloack
Fox 2.0 performance shocks
35s Toyo M/T on 18 inch mayham wheels
DV8 offroad front bumper
Flowmaster exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
It's the ESP activating. Safety feature that many (including myself) believes is not necessary on the JK. It is intended to correct for over/ under steering, by applying the brake on a certain wheel, to counteract the adverse condition. Sometimes the engine power is also reduced when the ESP activates. The ESP light will flash when the tires supposedly lose traction.

If it bothers you too much, you can disable it by:

*Shifting the transfer case into 4H.
*Turning the steering wheel until perfectly centered.
*Waiting approx 5 seconds.
*Turning and holding the steering wheel 1/2 turn to the right.
*Turning the steering wheel back to center, and turning/ holding it 1/2 turn to the left.
*Turning the steering wheel back to center.
*Pressing/ holding the ESP OFF button for 7 seconds.
*Cycling the ignition key to OFF.

After adequately performing these functions, the ESP OFF will be displayed for approx 12 seconds each time the Jeep is turned on. Repeating the functions will re-enable the ESP again.
Okay, I must be suffering from the stupids, but I can't get this procedure to work. I printed out what is written above. No good. I checked the owners manual. Its in there, same procedure as above. Still no good.

I'm obviously screwing something up.

Assuming that the top of the wheel is 12 o'clock turning the wheel one half turn puts that point at 6 o'clock, right? How exact does the turn need to be? How about time? Obviously you want to hold the button for seven seconds. Is holding the button for 8 seconds an instant failure? Just trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
Okay, I must be suffering from the stupids, but I can't get this procedure to work. I printed out what is written above. No good. I checked the owners manual. Its in there, same procedure as above. Still no good.
I don't know if this procedure works on all model years. I'm not sure if the owners manuals were completely updated to meet all the specific year changes. idk.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Ipe
Rock God

For what its worth I've got a 2008 4dr Rubi.

post #7 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Just throwing this out there, but in this step you do NOT start the engine, just turn the key to the ON position, right?

Oh, here's something else that may or may not be pertinent: in the first "hold for 7 seconds" steps the ESCOFF display comes on and remains on for the rest of the steps. Is this correct?

I really am sick of the ESP nanny hosing me on the street and would prefer not to go to the dealer. HELP!!!

post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Just throwing this out there, but in this step you do NOT start the engine, just turn the key to the ON position, right? <----- Correct

Oh, here's something else that may or may not be pertinent: in the first "hold for 7 seconds" steps the ESCOFF display comes on and remains on for the rest of the steps. Is this correct? <----- Correct
Mine's an '08 also.

post #9 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Ok, I finally had success. Sort of...
ESP is off after completing the procedure with the engine running. There's a pretty good write-up here

So here's the "sort of" part. Now I have the stupid car with squiggly lines warning up on the dash in addition to the ESPOFF for 12 seconds. Is that normal? Bit of a PITA if it is.

post #10 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekum1627 View Post
why when i go down a ramp a little fast the like comes on?
you're going too fast lol.

Quote:
Ok, I finally had success. Sort of...
ESP is off after completing the procedure with the engine running. There's a pretty good write-up here

So here's the "sort of" part. Now I have the stupid car with squiggly lines warning up on the dash in addition to the ESPOFF for 12 seconds. Is that normal? Bit of a PITA if it is.

Not sure if it's normal but I'll try the full off and report back with my results.

We have that symbol any time the Jeep is on. Always push the OFF (partial off) button. We have the clackey symbol too (_!_) due to no tpms in the present wheels. We just got used to it. If they aren't there now I think something is wrong with the Jeep

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Despite the stupid light on the dash the drive home was awesome (first day this year warm enough to take the roof panels off!!! )...

AND!

No premature ESP-BrakeULation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode