2012 JK 3.6 Normal Engine Coolant Temps? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

2012 JK 3.6 Normal Engine Coolant Temps?

Just got my new to me 2012 JK 2 days ago. Had it shipped it from Cali from a forum member I bought it off of.

It has a Bully Dog GT tuner on it. Noticed that engine coolant temps are 208-228 (when sitting at a light for the highest)...avg of 210-215 while driving.

However, its only 78 degrees outside here in Ft. Worth, TX. Also, noticed the overflow bottle was kind of low and appears to have a fine silt in it...even though the Jeep has clearly never been mudded. Previous owner says he's never had an issue with it overheating.

Added a little bit of water to it and drove around tonight. Headed out of town though on a small trip with it this weekend.

Any thoughts? Will prob take it into the dealer when I get back in town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

It's not unusual. I seem to recall another thread about this. Mine routinely sees temps up to about 230. I don't know if it just where the temp sensor is or maybe they just run a little hot. Mine's been that way since it was practically new. Others have reported the same.

The factory gauge is programmed to ignore the minor temp fluctuations, and really only climbs off of enter when it really heats up. Basically if you did not have an accessory gauge to tell you, you'd never know.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 15 Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 AM
Wheeler

i had the same problem .but I have tap two pipes from the heater pipes and ad two derale coolers . my fan now rarely come on and no more running hot . I used the synergy shower kid to see were I can tap the pipes.
ps I have a griffen rad in and use to run a fan from a lincorn mark 4. that I had on a separate controller .could not find a controller for the jk fan .brushless . I have spend over us 20000 dollar to sort out my heating problem . if you want I can give you a full write up of my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-15-2014, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Did you mean $2,000?
post #5 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to jlagross

figured id chime in here, hope you dont have all the issues bullydog users seem to be having from what ive read!

I have the traildash, it allows me to modify my fan settings. I noticed i ran at about the same temps as you did. I was able to tell my fans to kick on 10 degrees lower at each stage, it helped alot and my engine stays at 215 when highway driving.

Also - be careful with water in the engine coolant, its the wierd orange organic on the 2012s. You HAVE to use mopar, if you mix coolants it will coagulate. I had put water in one time to get me home when i was running low, ran hot the whole way home and all the water burned off. Very coolant specific in my opinion. At least mopar brand is reasonable on their coolant prices...

Hope this helps a bit ,
Jlagross
post #6 of 15 Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagross View Post
figured id chime in here, hope you dont have all the issues bullydog users seem to be having from what ive read!

I have the traildash, it allows me to modify my fan settings. I noticed i ran at about the same temps as you did. I was able to tell my fans to kick on 10 degrees lower at each stage, it helped alot and my engine stays at 215 when highway driving.

Also - be careful with water in the engine coolant, its the wierd orange organic on the 2012s. You HAVE to use mopar, if you mix coolants it will coagulate. I had put water in one time to get me home when i was running low, ran hot the whole way home and all the water burned off. Very coolant specific in my opinion. At least mopar brand is reasonable on their coolant prices...

Hope this helps a bit ,
Jlagross
Do you happen to know if this traildash works on a 2013?

And they all run hot. Mine gets to 235 on a long climb on the freeway at altitude. That silt in the coolant bottle could very well be casting sand. Left over casting sand in the block is a known problem with the Pentastar motors. Take it to a dealer and they should flush the entire cooling system for you.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Granite Guru

I'll add my 2 cents... Couple weeks ago, a coworker comes into the office to tell me the jeep was leaking fluid. Go out there and it is dripping coolant from the crank. Drive it home to get some coolant. Once I get home, check coolant level and all looks good. Look to see if it's dripping and not a drop. No problems until last week, roll into class and it's puking coolant and overheating. After researching, I was at a loss as it could be a slew of things from low oil to thermostat to coolant temp sensor. Went to the dealership and bought a new thermostat and coolant temp sensor. I only changed the thermostat and all looks good so far. The thermostat is a +/- 210 degree thermostat so it does run hotter than most vehicles stock. I'd look at the thermostat body and see if it looks corroded at all (mine had white residue surrounding it like a battery terminal).
post #8 of 15 Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
Do you happen to know if this traildash works on a 2013?
Label from the end of the box mine came in says, "438753 TrailDash 03-14 Jeep Gas Vehicles." Works well on my '12.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Wheeler

no 20000 US $ had 2 radiators made up locally then import another 2 from America . imported . lincorn mark 4 fans .and controllers . but nothing worked .till I fit the extra coolers .build my own thermostat as well its now running at 204 f it was at 219f

Last edited by pierre botha; 10-22-2014 at 09:50 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagross View Post

Hope this helps a bit ,
Jlagross
ok I hope I don't step on any ones toes . I have a diablo tuner on my 2012 .you can set the fan to come on at lower temp . and that would work fine . except the 2012 + fan has 5 inputs that control them so after a couple of minutes the fan is back at factory setting . . ? most of the jeeps 2012 + here in soutafrica overheat . Chrysler say its normal . mother fuckers .
post #11 of 15 Old 10-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Wheeler

I think those coolant temps are pretty normal. These newer rigs run a bit hotter supposedly for fuel efficiency reasons. Also, I believe the stock thermostat is at 209 degrees.

2012 JKU - 37" MTRs, RIPP Supercharger, ProRock44, 4.88s, ARB lockers F/R, RCVs, Reid knuckles, Poly'd steering, armor/skids, bunch of other stuff.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistasparkl View Post
. Also, I believe the stock thermostat is at 209 degrees.
The info in the 2012 service manual indicates the 3.6L Pentastar has a 195F thermostat.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #13 of 15 Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre botha View Post
i had the same problem .but I have tap two pipes from the heater pipes and ad two derale coolers . my fan now rarely come on and no more running hot . I used the synergy shower kid to see were I can tap the pipes.
ps I have a griffen rad in and use to run a fan from a lincorn mark 4. that I had on a separate controller .could not find a controller for the jk fan .brushless . I have spend over us 20000 dollar to sort out my heating problem . if you want I can give you a full write up of my problem.
I'd love to hear more on this... I've been having an issue of mine overheating under load for the last 18 months. Dealer can't find the issue. I still have 4.5 years of warranty left... but the temp climbing like crazy on every long hill (or when powering through snow, etc) is driving me nutz. I get that the temps might climb a bit... but mine seem to just keep going up and up. Until I put the fender liners back in, I could get it to red line on the big hills.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop

Last edited by Riptide; 11-03-2014 at 05:37 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The info in the 2012 service manual indicates the 3.6L Pentastar has a 195F thermostat.
Service manual, eh? Alldata or is there finally another source?

'12 Sport...I need to up my powerball investments, mods are expensive!
post #15 of 15 Old 11-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Service manual, eh? Alldata or is there finally another source?
A service manual on CD is available from the Jeep/TechAuthority site for $130.
AllData is a pretty good deal.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode