Questions: Warn PowerPlant winch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Questions: Warn PowerPlant winch

The first upgrade I do when I land a job is get a winch. I am looking at the Warn PowerPlant HP 'cuz it includes an air compressor, freeing up valuable space in the trunk. My concern is the pix I see show the winch covering most of the grille opening.

Questions:

1. Anyone with the Warn PowerPlant winch? Are you happy with it? Any overheating or other issues? Does the compressor work well?

2. Will most offroad bumpers hold this winch?

Thanks!

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 AM
JKO Addict!

I have the lod stubby bumper and it is recessed far enough that the powerplant sits right down and has plenty of air flow. No problems here at all. Oh and the air pump works great! I have to fill alot of other guys tires just becouse they know I have that winch. Pretty fast IMHO for what it is.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

I have no regrets at all about buying the Powerplant... I have used the Compressor probably 50 times for me and my friends with no issues, Except of the time to air up. It's a little slow, But worth it.

I have used the winch 5 times, And it works great! I am ready to switch out to the synthetic line i bought last year as i have abused the steel line on the rocks ect.

Mine is currently mounted inside the Shrockworks Midwith and fits perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
JKO Addict!

No regrets here, also I put a 2 1/2 lbs kilby tank under the jeep for more air, now I can run air tools with no worries.

JKUS Sort of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Rock God

i have one with no complaints! mine also sits very high (not recessed inthe bumper) and i have not had any over heating issues at all. http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/JerseyJK07/

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Dont like im still here? Tough shit! Shut Up & Wheel!
post #6 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thank you, everyone. Sounds like a happy bunch!

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #7 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
Questions:

1. Anyone with the Warn PowerPlant winch? Are you happy with it? Any overheating or other issues? Does the compressor work well?

2. Will most offroad bumpers hold this winch?

Thanks!
Regarding blocking the front grill - you need a front bumper that drops the winch down enough to prevent this from happening.

1. Yes. Yes. No. Yes.

2. Yes and no. My Smittybilt XRC front had to have a small quarter sized notch cut it in for it to fit.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #8 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Openly Hostile

Everyone I know likes theirs. Adding a tank as Lika suggested will add some options for you. Woods is putting out a nice bracket to mount a viair 2 gallon tank between the radiator and engine that would work great for those with a power plant.

Jason
post #9 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN LS1 View Post
Regarding blocking the front grill - you need a front bumper that drops the winch down enough to prevent this from happening.

1. Yes. Yes. No. Yes.

2. Yes and no. My Smittybilt XRC front had to have a small quarter sized notch cut it in for it to fit.
Heya J! Didn't realize you had a PP winch when we went to Big Bear. It does keep a low profile!

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #10 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Rock God

Yep, a recessed bumper is the key. I also have not heard of anyone overheating w/o one but a recessed bumper keeps it tucked down lower for sure. Mine drops it far enough to where I have zero worries. I did, whole the front end was apart, have a tranny cooler installed however at the same time.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #11 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Rock God

i love mine,

its sitting as low as possible on my shrockworks stubby

and doesn't block the grille at all, love the winch and the compress does just fine to air up tires, i am very happy with it
post #12 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Rock God

I love my bumper/winch combo, but during last snow storm i couldnt pull the line free, only worked with buttons.. have to check that thing again...

08 Silver Sahara Unlimited...

post #13 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I have had the power plant since 2007 and never had a over heating issue do to the power plant. Also the air compressor is awesome, airs up a 37" tire from 10lbs to 35lbs in 3 1/2 minutes.

Name:  IMG01451-20091002-1710.jpg
Views: 3605
Size:  39.9 KB

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #14 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Granite Guru

Fits perfect in my schrockworks mid. sits nice and low. no problems.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Got the Power Plant on the Warn bumpers. Have had no overheating problems. Bought the 07 Rubi in Phoenix in July (with the PW) and drove it hard to Northern WY, no overheating problems. I do wish it sat lower in the bumper for looks. I've used the Air Comp several times and like it, seems fast. Only used the winch a couple of times, works well. No complaints. I did add Benchmark Designs dual battery kit just to make sure the Power Plant didn't strand me somewhere, that would be ironic.

Last edited by Stickdude; 03-14-2016 at 10:52 AM.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Wheeler

Funny, I just posted on another forum about the powerplant. I LOVE MINE!!!! Air's up the tires quick, will run air tools with a little patience, and best of all its a fully funtional winch. Mine came in real handy during Hurricane Ike cleanup, pulled debris from in front of my beach house with the winch, "realigned" the front deck with the winch, and used an air nailer all day reattaching portions of my roof. Couldn't have done without it. It will be the best $1300 you spend. I wouldn't worry about the HD version though, 9000lbs is plenty for a JK.

Watch out, without significant mods it will not fit into the AEV bumper. I managed to make it work, here is the writeup if you are interested. The meat starts near the end of the first page

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/p...bumper-726755/

Last edited by sgalway; 01-26-2010 at 08:39 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Granite Guru

I got suprised with the HD (12K) powerplant for xmas from my father in law. It's sitting on my LOD midwidth. No overheating issues between the powerplant and my transcooler.

If I didn't get this for x-mas I would have gotten a 9.5TI + a ARB compressor (or similar). The only disadvantage I can see is that becuase you manully have to switch the PP from winch to air, or visa versa, you cannot run both in tandem. But more so in-cab controls for this set up are trickier and you still have to switch over. I could envision being on the trail with the winch engaged but wanting to fill your extra tank as you reach the staging area. Well you can't easily flip the compressor on, you have to get out and switch over....

But so far it works great and I have no regrets.

2009 Rubicon Unlimited, FLAME RED
37's on WE beadlocks. ProRock44 w/ARB, RCVs, spyntecs, PSC hydro assist. Rear D44 w/35 spline ARB. 4.5" Poly/TF lift.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Wheeler

I have PowerPlant in a Rugged Ridge bumper. It is recessed but not as much as some others I've seen. I really like it. I wasn't sure about getting it, but it has really been great. I live in FL and have no problems with overheating in mid 90's weather.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just think that having seperate systems is more beneficialas if one brakes you do not have to replace the whole thing IMO

post #20 of 23 Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
I just think that having seperate systems is more beneficialas if one brakes you do not have to replace the whole thing IMO
Yeah my friend with the separate air compressor said the same thing, on the day we went to the beach and he had left it behind. He had been giving me a lot grief about that. I told him to start blowing.

Like anything it is a trade off. Just like I only take one winch and not a hi lift or manual come-along also.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I ended ordering a Warn 9.5ti Thermometric instead. The PowerPlant winch doesn't fit many bumpers so I decided to save myself the grief.

My new winch and bumper arrived today!!!

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #22 of 23 Old 02-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Wheeler

I agree. Your air compressor IS going to go out, and prolly sooner than your winch. Also the added weight on the outter most part of your vehicle will add to spring fatigue. Separate is better in my book.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Rubicon View Post
I agree. Your air compressor IS going to go out, and prolly sooner than your winch. Also the added weight on the outter most part of your vehicle will add to spring fatigue. Separate is better in my book.
So you carry an extra air compressor? Weight difference is negligible, unless you are recommending a removable winch that you keep in the back.

Also my app is for the beaches around here. Not much rock in FL. Not likely to need the air compressor and the winch. I can certainly understand why it would be mission critical to carry backups for everything when in back country.

BTW this happened to anyone? I don't think that I have EVER seen a post on the powerplant where someone didn't state that it is a problem having a single failure point on two different tools that have different functions. Must be pretty common then and I have just been very lucky.

Last edited by BadTime; 02-04-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode