jeep in for warranty, need thoughts please. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607
jeep in for warranty, need thoughts please.

Well dropped of the rubi for some warranty work (35,890 miles) before the 3/36 is up. Here is the service list.

1. right tail light holds water.
*they ordered a replacement.

2. leak at tailgate (slight) hinge side, and passenger front door top corner slight leak. foam pads worn.
*they are replacing pads.

3. subwoofer bracket rusted from leak, front subwoofer nutsert pulled out.
*nutsert not sure they can fix, told them to give me one and i will weld it up before i rhino line it to fix it and they are replacing the bracket.

4. bubbling paint on hinges.
*they are waiting on new ones to come in to have painted to replace.

5. loose fenders, 3 rattle and one is secure as the day i bought it.
*normal, all clips are in and nothing that they can do.

6. paint rubbed down to the bare metal from the movement of the fenders in many places, all fenders, specially bad where the inner fender rubs at the bottom of each wheel well.
*normal due to fender design, nothing that they can do.

7. front driveshaft seeping grease closest to the xfer case.
*normal, the boot doesen't need as much grease since the d/s is at a steeper angle.

8. occasional (once a week maybe) stumble/shudder while stopped at a light or traffic ect. like a heavy cam lope.
* they are still trying to replicate, figured this would be the case.

9. hot oil update:NHTSA update #/Id 09V-436
Chrysler recall # J30
*they never heard of it (any of you surprised) my jeep is not in that, funny how my mfg date is right in the middle of it.

10. check ac charge and electrical, check swaybar disco system. when i was playing with it while we were crunching #'s to buy it i hit the sway bar button and instant james bond movie, all the r134 a shot out from under the hood like a HUGE smoke screen. scared the hell out of everyone. it was in the showroom. any way during mfg some dumb ass jerked and stretched the harness' and pugged them in backwards (ac/swaybar) all documented.
*I doubt they will check any of it from the above trend.

my concern on the fender rubbung the paint off if i sign the work order does that mean that i accept this as the final out come? i did not buy a 30k plus dollar vehicle that was designed to self destruct itself as in rub off its own paint and promote rust.

Second problem is the drveshaft seeping grease is nomal, i know everyone is about to pounce on the lifted bandwagon but when you pull into this dealer and they have 6 two doors and 5 four doors that are all higher than mine and every one has the stock shafts, yes i looked. i have the lifetime powertrain warranty so if the ticket states this is normal and my d/s goes out in the future does this give me leverage for them to cover it since they say, normal and not a issue?

i really planned on buying a oil burner after a year or two for them to work out the kinks but unless fiat pulls a miracle in the quality department i may end up driving a hilux with mexican plates.

thanks for any input or thoughts.

dealer is Ron Carter in Alvin, Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

My opinion only, but.....

The Wrangler is a completely unique, specialized vehicle that can be configured uniquely, can go anywhere, and has gobs of personality. That's why people love them, why they can charge what they do for them, and why they will always sell and hold their value staggeringly well.

But they are largely pieces of crap. The areas deemed reliable or bulletproof in a modern Wrangler are that way because they are 50+ year-old tech. The rest is, well......a Chrysler product developed under the reign of the Nazi bean-counter, cost-slashing, cheap-ifying Benz regime that pretty much destroyed every positive aspect of Chrysler products (excepting the 300C). Let's face it, it's going to largely suck in the quality and reliability department.

Mine's been a champ. Less than 4000 miles....shifter boot and console replaced two times to track down a 4th gear driveline vibration (which is still there), sway bar disco motor went belly-up, heater stopped working (replaced the control head unit), TOB is squealing, hot lifter tick....I can't wait to see what the future brings. But for some idiotic reason, I love it just the same.

Let's just say as an only vehicle, I wouldn't want one.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Rock God

I always seem to catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I had issues with the infamous soft top leak, took it back numerous times for the TSB's. They finally talked Chrysler into replacing the whole top!

I never called Lemon law even though I could have. I complimented and praised the service team to the Service Manager. And they say flattery will get you nowhere................. RIGHT!

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

oh i did forget to mention after numeruos discussions about the bubbling paint deal and her constant responses of they have never seen nor heard of there being anything about it. then as we are done walking around the rubi i asked a time frame and she said that normally when we have to repaint hinges we order another set, paint them then install them and its a common occurance and they have done a lot, WTF? they just said they've never heard of this!

then to top that off they said i could get a courtesy shuttle but when i needed it they said it was too far! WTF again! they knew where i was coming from and told them the two places that i would need a ride to, and they said no problem now to be stuck at a auto complex with an 11 month old, WTF again, so my father in law had to leave work to come get us which he was happy to do to play with the grand kid, but its the point of the matter. they close all these dealerships(service centers) and the ones open are further away the chrysler/fiat needs to make them drive customers further. this will probbably be our last domestic vehicle purchase on a new vehicle.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Rock God

Hmmm...dunno what to tell you.

Is yours an early production JK? I've had my Rubicon for 16,000 miles now and has been absolutely trouble-free --knock on wood!

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Well dropped of the rubi for some warranty work (35,890 miles) before the 3/36 is up. Here is the service list.

6. paint rubbed down to the bare metal from the movement of the fenders in many places, all fenders, specially bad where the inner fender rubs at the bottom of each wheel well.
*normal due to fender design, nothing that they can do.

dealer is Ron Carter in Alvin, Texas.
This is not normal. It should be covered on the 5-year rustout warranty. I haven't taken mine in yet but it's the same way. Here's a thread.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ight=paint+rub

According to usmcdos14 (post #8) his were to be fixed. Good luck

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
fnc
Rock God

Quote:
8. occasional (once a week maybe) stumble/shudder while stopped at a light or traffic ect. like a heavy cam lope.
* they are still trying to replicate, figured this would be the case.
Mine has done that since I bought it. Maybe it happens twice in one week or it doesn't happen for several months. It's frustrating but so far I haven't been left on the side of the road from it and I'm @ 50k miles. I notice it less when it's cold out. It seems much more noticeable when it's 110 out and my AC is at full blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM
fnc
Rock God

Quote:
oh i did forget to mention after numeruos discussions about the bubbling paint deal and her constant responses of they have never seen nor heard of there being anything about it. then as we are done walking around the rubi i asked a time frame and she said that normally when we have to repaint hinges we order another set, paint them then install them and its a common occurance and they have done a lot, WTF? they just said they've never heard of this!

then to top that off they said i could get a courtesy shuttle but when i needed it they said it was too far! WTF again! they knew where i was coming from and told them the two places that i would need a ride to, and they said no problem now to be stuck at a auto complex with an 11 month old, WTF again, so my father in law had to leave work to come get us which he was happy to do to play with the grand kid, but its the point of the matter. they close all these dealerships(service centers) and the ones open are further away the chrysler/fiat needs to make them drive customers further. this will probbably be our last domestic vehicle purchase on a new vehicle.
Sound like it is time for a different dealer to me. Many of us argue (or just bitch ) about dealers and warranties but the fact is the dealers do make a profit from warranty work, just not as much as they would like to. As such, the dealers need us (customers) to stay alive, especially in this economy. I feel sorry for those here that have no choice and are stuck with a single dealership; although it has been my experience that dealers in small towns/areas tend to treat their customer better than the ones in large cities/areas that have massive client bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

yeah they dont make as much of a profit but there is always extra things that they charge the manufacturer for all the time that never shows on the bill. sad thing is the good mechanics know all of these labor codes and put them on almost every ticket even though the only thing they may have been told by the customer to do is a oil change. i used to work at a couple of dealerships and every service bay does it in one form or the other. hell my mother in laws toyota was in for service and to check a rear wheel noise, for weeks they couldnt figure it out, i rolled it infront of the main showroom entrance of champion toyota and proceeded to raise the wheel off the the ground with the stock jack as all the sales people started to come and compain that i cant change a flat in front of their showroom. i proceded to tell them that the tire is fine and i plan on showing your potential customers that the owners have to do the diagnostics to the vehicles if they want anything fixed on a less than 2 month old car, well by the time i got it up the general manager showed up as well as security and stated threatening to press charges and tow it off, and i demanded the service managers come out before i lowered it and drove off. as soon as his smart ass walked up smirking i put my foot on the wheel and spun it and it made a sound like a garbage disposal with metal shavings in it, i said was this that hard diagnose that you hadto have their car for over three weeks and put over 658 miles on it??? the mood drasticaly changed at that point, free service this, free washes that, sorry this sorry that. i do know that you get more with sugar than honey but at some pont the bee needs to kick someone in the nuts!!!
post #10 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Well, I would ask them then if they would put it on the lot "as is" since it's all normal, give you the fair market trade in for it and drive off in one of the "bigger lifted" rigs they have on the lot which "fi comprable" to yours- should line you up with a great deal and make them eat their words! I know, that would be in a "perfect world", but just thinking!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #11 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

yeah right! the chrcoal gray sure looks good too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode