What to use $5,000 on mods - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

What to use $5,000 on mods

I have a 2011 JKUR Call of Duty, 4 door with hardtop, and have around 5 grand to use on upgrades/mods. It is my DD and I take if off road maybe 6 to 7 times a year (light trails and some mud). I was curious on what you guys would do first. Here's what I was thinking.

3" teraflex lift with install - $1,600 or MetalCloak 2.5" with install - $2,200
35x12.50x17 Toyo RT - $1,850 (keeping stock wheel and already have spacers)
AEV Procal - $160
Maybe rear bumper with tire carrier - $1,000 or Spare Tire extender $60

Too many options out there that it's driving me crazy. Been looking at these forums for over a month and still can't decide LOL.

Chris

Last edited by Hagerman11; 10-10-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

why not look into local folks who will help you with the install and you can save some money there.

your choices area all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Might have to check into that, I'm just worried I won't be much help because I have a bad back, no tools and no experience. But...... Any Dallas Ft Worth guys on here interested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Granite Guru

I'd try the install if I were you. Like UncleSam said save some pennies there, and just get some more stuff.

OIF
post #5 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 06:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagerman11 View Post
Might have to check into that, I'm just worried I won't be much help because I have a bad back, no tools and no experience. But...... Any Dallas Ft Worth guys on here interested?
Strippers, beer and pizza are great motives to get people to help work on your Jeep.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #6 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Rock God

Somebody in my neck of the woods really needs to have an install party with strippers. I'm not sure how much work would get done... lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Cool

spend it all here--->
http://www.synergymfg.com

ask your inevitable questions on forum. Build it yourself and get the most satisfaction from installing what many deem to be the best parts for the JK , knowing that they will last you for a long time if chosen & incorporated into your Jeep correctly. This, of course, is all subjective and one forum members opinion.....directly in response to you asking everyone what you should do with five smackereenos....

let us know what you decide upon & don't forget that, w/out pictures none of what you claim occurs.....

post #8 of 17 Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

So 4 Wheel Parts had their annual clearance or sale today and I finally pull the trigger.
3" Teraflex lift
Teraflex adjustable trackbar
Flashcal
35x12.50x17 Toyo RT
For $300 more I can upgrade my shock to the Fox 2.0 but not sure if they are much better. Is it worth it over the Teraflex 9550s?
The installation, mount and balance wheels and tires, alignment and any other labor only cost me $380!!! Now the long waiting game until install day.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
So 4 Wheel Parts had their annual clearance or sale today and I finally pull the trigger.
3" Teraflex lift
Teraflex adjustable trackbar
Flashcal
35x12.50x17 Toyo RT
For $300 more I can upgrade my shock to the Fox 2.0 but not sure if they are much better. Is it worth it over the Teraflex 9550s?
The installation, mount and balance wheels and tires, alignment and any other labor only cost me $380!!! Now the long waiting game until install day.
ive never run the TeraFlex shocks. I have heard mixed things about them and that they are prone to leaks and a bit inferior to Fox|OME|Bilstien as far as quality, but it's your bag-o-cash. research research research....i'd get KINGs if I had it to do over. Second choice would be reservoir 5160s

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-11-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: nice pallate of parts shall be coming your way....
post #10 of 17 Old 10-11-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.
Are the fox shocks going to be a smoother ride? I have read so many mixed reviews on them, along with the teraflex lift.
One other question, is there anything else I should consider getting for better on road handling?
post #11 of 17 Old 10-12-2014, 03:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

The Fox shocks are a stiffer valved shock. But with the relatively soft TF coil you'd probably like the ride. My Fox 2.0's paired wonderfully with my soft RK Triple Rate coils.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #12 of 17 Old 10-12-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

So I should be ok using the stock arms? I did add an adjustable from trac bar and rear relocation bracket.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Granite Guru

You cant go wrong with Fox, Ive been running them on mine, like stated above. Pair them with a softer spring and you'll have a pretty decent ride quality. As far as off road with Fox's pretty damn good. But what ever you wanting to get out of your ride, and jeep is up to you and built it the way that meets your needs.

OIF
post #14 of 17 Old 10-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

I do. I have kind of a crappy caster angle right now for my steering, so it's a touch flighty, but short term you should be fine.

Stock arms;

It was enough that the drivers coil was unseated

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #15 of 17 Old 10-13-2014, 01:26 PM
JKO Addict!

I personally did not care for the TF 9550's. The TF/Fox shocks were nice.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #16 of 17 Old 10-13-2014, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Man, I'm always down for a build party as long as I don't have anything else scheduled. Jump over on Lonstar Jeep Club forums and ask for help. Plenty of guys over there that have shops, tools, compressors, etc. I have yet to pay for ANYTHING to be installed on my Jeep by a shop. Only thing I've paid for at all was regearing and I basically just bought the tools for a buddy to do it.

Hit me up when you're ready, though, and I'll lend a hand. Don't have a garage or a heckuva lot of tools, but I'm more than willing to help turn wrenches, get dirty, etc. That's what the Jeep community is all about!

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
So I should be ok using the stock arms? I did add an adjustable from trac bar and rear relocation bracket.
Yeah, you'll be fine on the stock arms. I'm on a Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod (yields 3" of lift) and have yet to need arms. Will eventually upgrade to a set of RK arms, but it's not high on the priority list at this point.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode