Steering upgrade help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Steering upgrade help

I am planning on upgrading everything in my frontend. (tie rod/ends drag link steering stab. balljoints etc.) A complete rebuild. So my question is From personal experence what is the best out there. Not to much in to the "well billy-bob has this and that and it is great" I want to know what you have and your true honest opion. Pros and Cons. Not the crap since I have it it is the best. The truth I know how it works due to you having it it's the best. I feel the same way about my setup.

So let's see what you got to Help a fellow JEEPER out.

THANK YOU

VENDORS PLEASE CHIME IN ON WHAT YOU GOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Having ran the whole rockkrawler setup and now im back to a stock tie rod and chrommolly hommade draglink with heims ill tell you i am saving my money for the poly setup ive seen guys beat the hell out of the poly stuff and it keeps taking a beating

so i just need to save the cash

www.jeepasylum.com
post #3 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Rock God

ROCK KRAWLER

Póg mo thóin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had problems getting a alingment shop to touch it with the Rockkrawler setup but they have changed the design scince i had it

www.jeepasylum.com
post #5 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Wheeler

Drag link flip: I have the AEV. Very good

Tie Rod: The stock unit bent so I replaced it with the Rock Krawler...not so good. The limited adjustment gave me a choice of +.38 degrees or -.12 degrees. I replaced the RK with the Poly setup...perfect. It's got very little clearance between the diff cover and the tie rod, but there is clearance...hope it's enough. I did have to get the Poly stabilizer mount in order to gain the bit of clearance that I have.

Steering stabilizer: First replacement was the TeraFlex...same as stock. Next was the AEV...same. Third time's a charm, Poly...excellent, better feel, better control.

Ball Joints: I ordered my ProRock 44 with ProSteer ball joints but after waiting and waiting for those I told them to put it together with the standards and to send me the ProSteers when they get them. I just received the ProSteers a week or so ago. They look really well made...just wish they were on the Jeep instead of the shelf.

This Pic still has the RK tie rod
post #6 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

My best advice is the Poly Performance track bar bracket. I did not get the one with the cam bolt, I wish I had. But it's closer than it was before.

Also the ORO steering stabilizer relocation kit. There is no way to bash this without doing some serious damage to the rest of your Jeep.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
I had problems getting a alingment shop to touch it with the Rockkrawler setup but they have changed the design scince i had it
How long ago was that?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Hopefully, by the end of the week I will be able to report back good news. I currently have RK front track bar and tie rod. I just ordered the Poly track bar bracket and drag link. It should be real tight after that.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No one else has any more info?
post #10 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
My best advice is the Poly Performance track bar bracket. I did not get the one with the cam bolt, I wish I had. But it's closer than it was before.
What is the benefit of the cam if you don't mind me asking?
post #11 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Rock God

I have been running Poly Performance for a year now. I can tell you that I have put my tie rod on a rock more than once. The rock moved but not the tie rod. I have seen many different set ups but for my $$$ Poly is the best. Tie rod looks good a new (minus some surface scratches). I have the drag ink flip and it was easy (sorta) to install. It solved a lot of my steering problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a question regarding the PP drag link. Their drag link re-uses the factory end at the steering gear. Is there a link available that has a zerk fitting...or can you easily modify the stock one to accept a zerk fitting?

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #13 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjeep View Post
What is the benefit of the cam if you don't mind me asking?
I cold have fine tuned the angle that I wanted. I also looked for the lengths of pitman arms but could not find any info an the JK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode