Axle cost justification... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Axle cost justification...

Take whichever brand you prefer but for sake of argument I looked at Dynatracs website and my front 60 fully loaded for my jk would be $10,450...

I understand quality parts and durability etc etc but is there really $10,500 worth of quality there? I was trying to explain to a buddy why a pro rock 60 was worth that much but honestly was struggling to do it. Is it purely a "because people will pay it" scenario? Just thought this would create an interesting conversation. Where do you draw the line with the amount of money you sink into a "Jeep, ford, chevy whatever brand you like" Again not about brand more about the price of stuff. Kind of like the whole 17" tire being outrageously priced compared to a 15" tire, some people argue that it is the tooling cost etc etc but with the amount of 17" tires sold over the last couple years I'm pretty sure BFG has recoupled their cost of tooling and equipment plus a few billion, lol

Anyway, just bored at work. Have fun with this.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Wheeler

There is no way on God's green earth I'd spend $10,450 on one axle.
post #3 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You draw the line at what you want to do with it. Right now I am at the point that I don't need to sink anymore into the jeep to do the things that I want to do. Now if something breaks then it might turn into repair and upgrade to something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Its definitely a what will the market support scenario. Everything for the JK is more expensive only because the market will pay for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Granite Guru

It is also on a "what can people do on there own" kind of thing. I do not have the welding skill or the time to learn and build an axle to meet the time frame of when I want my jeep done. That is the reason I ponyed up the cash to pay for one tons from rocksolid performance... But no way in hell would I pay 10 for just one axle

2012 JKU, stock for now, but gathering parts
post #6 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Its definitely a what will the market support scenario. Everything for the JK is more expensive only because the market will pay for it.
I thought I noticed this trend but didn't want to say it, I see very similar products for the TJ at half the price. I don't mind paying for quality but some things just seem like highway robbery.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #7 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 AM
JKO Addict!

There is defiantly a price point for every wallet and is all relative to what you make and can afford. Someone that has $10 mil in their account would not think twice about a $10k axle where as someone living paycheck to paycheck would think it was outrageous. BTW the person living paycheck to paycheck or would have to finance a purcahse like this should not even be looking at them.

As far as cost on the loaded dynatrac look at the components. custom housings go for around $2500 flat top knuckles $600 steering arms $250 ball joints $600, locking hubs $800, gears $500, locker $1000, RCV shafts $1300, Diff cover $150, brakes $600.

Thats about $8300 for parts so that gives the company making th product about $2800 to have a factory, pay employes, pay taxes (they are in california) and ship out an axle that is really a work of art when you take it out of the crate in terms of quality fit and finish.

Of course you could always just go with the trail series axle without all the options and still have the strength and custom caster/width correction without have to hunt thru junk yards for a rusty axle that needs 20 hours of hard dirty work to make it fit your application if you have the skills to do it.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #8 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
There is defiantly a price point for every wallet and is all relative to what you make and can afford. Someone that has $10 mil in their account would not think twice about a $10k axle where as someone living paycheck to paycheck would think it was outrageous. BTW the person living paycheck to paycheck or would have to finance a purcahse like this should not even be looking at them.

As far as cost on the loaded dynatrac look at the components. custom housings go for around $2500 flat top knuckles $600 steering arms $250 ball joints $600, locking hubs $800, gears $500, locker $1000, RCV shafts $1300, Diff cover $150, brakes $600.

Thats about $8300 for parts so that gives the company making th product about $2800 to have a factory, pay employes, pay taxes (they are in california) and ship out an axle that is really a work of art when you take it out of the crate in terms of quality fit and finish.

Of course you could always just go with the trail series axle without all the options and still have the strength and custom caster/width correction without have to hunt thru junk yards for a rusty axle that needs 20 hours of hard dirty work to make it fit your application if you have the skills to do it.
I agree with alot that you said, I remember several years ago in my 20's I thought guys driving rubicons with lift kits and tires/wheels were insane for taking those nice rides on the trails and look at me now!!! I got the pimped out 4 door with leather, navigation (which by the way is a useless pile of crap for offroad), and all the other bells and whistles, lol

post #9 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 10:39 AM
It never ends...

I'm in a cynical mood today.

There is no justification for D60 other than a person wants them. No one needs them per se.

So because they are a want rather than a need, the price depends on how bad one wants them. Lots of emotional factor comes into play.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #10 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 11:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post

There is no justification for D60 other than a person wants them. No one needs them per se.

So because they are a want rather than a need, the price depends on how bad one wants them. Lots of emotional factor comes into play.
I wouldn't say that. To me they are like an insurance policy for anyone running big tires.

Can I drive carefully and never actually need them - sure but just like insurance its nice to know you have it in that one situation...

post #11 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 11:49 AM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I wouldn't say that. To me they are like an insurance policy for anyone running big tires.

Can I drive carefully and never actually need them - sure but just like insurance its nice to know you have it in that one situation...

It's the whole cycle. Do you really need big tires? No. You want big tires.

It's the whole jeep addiction thing, gotta have more (and I'm one of the worst).

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #12 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Granite Guru

It is defanitly market driven. Look at the price for used TJs in you area. I was looking for a cheap one for a friend and a used 97 with 170k miles and a 4cyl is around 6 to 8 grand in my area. A 01 with a straight 6 they want anywhere between 9-12k and these are not mint condition vehicles. Most are high milage with frames rusting. Must be inflation since i can't even get out of the grocery store without spending 200 anymore for same amount of groceries i paid 80 for 6 years ago.
post #13 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD707 View Post
It is defanitly market driven. Look at the price for used TJs in you area. I was looking for a cheap one for a friend and a used 97 with 170k miles and a 4cyl is around 6 to 8 grand in my area. A 01 with a straight 6 they want anywhere between 9-12k and these are not mint condition vehicles. Most are high milage with frames rusting. Must be inflation since i can't even get out of the grocery store without spending 200 anymore for same amount of groceries i paid 80 for 6 years ago.
Here in Colorado Jeeps bring good money. A nice LJ will fetch $20K. With a V8 conversion even more. Years ago it was a lot easier just to get a similar axle, gear it and install. Now we have sensors that read everything on a vehicle which raises the price significantly to do it right. Resale would plummet with dash lights illuminating all over!!

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #14 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Rock God

I just had something give me a bit of a reality check, about how much things cost for a JK. I just bought a 2014 Chevy Cruize to drive to work every day. It is nicely equipped, and I got it for invoice, minus a $2500 incentive, minus another $1400 earnings I had on my GM card. I had to write a check for about $15K for this brand new car (and its a nice car). As I drove away from the dealership I had a thought pop into my mind, ... "I paid more than that for just the axles on my Jeep".

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 10-07-2014 at 12:55 PM.
post #15 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 12:59 PM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
I just had something give me a bit of a reality check, about how much things cost for a JK. I just bought a 2014 Chevy Cruize to drive to work every day. It is nicely equipped, and I got it for invoice, minus a $2500 incentive, minus another $1400 earnings I had on my GM card. I had to write a check for about $15K for this brand new car (and its a nice car). As I drove away from the dealership I had a thought pop into my mind, ... "I paid more than that for just the axles on my Jeep".

Addict

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #16 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post

Where are you getting Dana 60 RCV's for $1300? If so I'd like a set or 50.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #17 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post

I'll top your cynical...

There is no justification or need for any of this stuff as is the same with any hobby.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #18 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

And I was just looking through some 10 year old pictures and realized that axle cost more than my entire samurai from back in the day...lol

post #19 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Granite Guru

I put ROCKJOCK 70's front and rear in my jk. Did I need them? Nope. But for me I justified it as I will NEVER worry about having an axle issue while wheeling with wife and 2 kids onboard. I have been wheeling since my CJ-7 when I was in high school and always just replaced or fixed things as they broke. I don't mind trail repairs, but now that I will have small kids and wife along I prefer to not have to have them stuck on a trail. I am finally in a position that I can afford to build my JK to be overbuilt and not have to work on it while wheeling. That's my justification. I STRONGLY reccomend dynatrac over currie. Curries customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE. I will never purchase another currie product again. If I could rewind time I would get dynatrac 80's and never give currie a penny. But lesson learned.
post #20 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 01:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepylit View Post
I put ROCKJOCK 70's front and rear in my jk.
When did Currie release a front 70?

post #21 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Granite Guru

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepylit View Post
I put ROCKJOCK 70's front and rear in my jk. Did I need them? Nope. But for me I justified it as I will NEVER worry about having an axle issue while wheeling with wife and 2 kids onboard. I have been wheeling since my CJ-7 when I was in high school and always just replaced or fixed things as they broke. I don't mind trail repairs, but now that I will have small kids and wife along I prefer to not have to have them stuck on a trail. I am finally in a position that I can afford to build my JK to be overbuilt and not have to work on it while wheeling. That's my justification. I STRONGLY reccomend dynatrac over currie. Curries customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE. I will never purchase another currie product again. If I could rewind time I would get dynatrac 80's and never give currie a penny. But lesson learned.
Do you like the product though? They look really well built and pretty affordable.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #22 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Granite Guru

It is hard to justify alot of the things we buy for our jk, s. Everything is over expensive but I realize if I want it I have to pay the price. I just put a prorock 80 on my 2 door. It's probably overkill although it does have a ls3. I don't even try to justify my purchases anymore lol. If I want it and can afford it I buy it. You only live once and I don't want to waist anytime broke down on the trail.

2010 rubicon. 3.5 rk lift. 37,s. 6.2 Ls3.
post #23 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvey View Post
It is hard to justify alot of the things we buy for our jk, s. Everything is over expensive but I realize if I want it I have to pay the price. I just put a prorock 80 on my 2 door. It's probably overkill although it does have a ls3. I don't even try to justify my purchases anymore lol. If I want it and can afford it I buy it. You only live once and I don't want to waist anytime broke down on the trail.
I agree!! Great attitude. Once you pop for the V8 in these things the rest doesn't seem so bad!

post #24 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Rock God

as an engineer, I looked at weakpoints and modify them to my wheeling habits but as you modify the weakpoints, you now create another weak point and the fully cycle.

I remember when i was 16, I wheeled my cj7, leaf sprung over axle with 35" tires every weekend and that was all i needed. now with little bit of extra disposible cash, i'm spending lot more then i feel confortable on my JK. since 07, i've had so many version of so many parts just to play with the "big boys". i would highly dought, if i did not have the cash, i would not be spending the kind of money i have on my JK. that $10k front axle i have is being repaired and modified as we speak.
post #25 of 73 Old 10-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
Where are you getting Dana 60 RCV's for $1300? If so I'd like a set or 50.
Yeah, I just spent $2300 on mine. As others have said, over built is peace of mind, having the wife setting on the side of a trail while I attempt to fix broken shit is not my idea of a good time...she'll drink all the beer!

I figure I'll have about $5500 in my front super duty axel, RCV's, dynatrac free spin hubs, OX locker and artec truss if it ever is available!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode