air pressures - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
air pressures

Looking for a happy medium it rides pretty soft at about 35psi and just feels to soft when turning,yesterday I brought it up to about 45psi and rides good on smooth roads but when you hit a bump it feels like the soft top is gonna fly off,I do quite a bit of commuting and running real low air pressures on road worries me,I am running nitto all terra's 275/70/18.

Black Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
TrailDuty.com

If you want to get the best life out of the tires do the chalk test. Put a line of chalk across the tread, drive down the road a little in a straight line and look at the chalk. Chalk left at the sides means you are over inflated, chalk left in the middle means you are under inflated. Adjust accordingly until you get about 1/2" or so of chalk left at the edges. That will be the correct tire pressure for your setup.

Running over inflated or under inflated will cause uneven wear on the tires and shorten their life.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I'm going to try it because they are starting to wear a little uneven,anyone else with RC 2.2 shocks notice when its real cold they ride real stiff,when its warm they ride smooth as hell,now the whole jeep sounds like its gonna shake apart when you hit a bump.Right now i'm lowered my pressures between 35 and 40 psi and its a little better,I think it may be the shocks more than air presssure now.thanks for the info Phil.

Black Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 02:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Like Phil said, chalk test. X2

Every rig is going to require slightly different pressure due to variances such as rim width, sidewall stiffness, bolt on add ons, even temperature. So no one is going to be able to tell you what PSI to run and be spot on. I wouldn't be surprised if you come up with a different pressure between front and back.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

That is actually going to be my next experiment,I have been trying some different Psi's every day ,I'm thinking a little softer in back and see what happens.They do it on race ccars to make em drive better why not a jeep,except there more right side and left side.thanks

Black Jeep
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you come up with a different pressure between front and back.
X2. I run my 35's with about 30 psi up front & about 32-35 psi in the rear- depending on the weight of the cargo- tools/ equip/ gear/etc.

It seems like 45 psi is definitely too high imo.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Wheeler

I have a RC 4" with 35's and I ran into the same issue about ride quality, I checked my tire pressure and adjusted them a few times and now I'm running about 32. As Phil stated check with the chalk. I have to wait for dry roads for that. But 32 made the ride A LOT better.

2009 Silver Sahara Unlimited
4" RC
35x17 BFG M/T KM's
17x8 Black Rock VIPERS - Black
Superchip Flashpaq
Smittybilt SRC Rear bumper and Tire carrier

"Grey Ghost"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode