New Wrangler Change.....End of Jeep? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

New Wrangler Change.....End of Jeep?

So,

This has probably been talked about before---and there were lots of rumors floating around. Looks like Sergio from FIAT is now saying that they are seriously considering doing the following:

Changing from Steel Body on Frame to Aluminum UNIBODY
Dropping in a smaller displacement motor---turbocharged
Stopping the production of the Wrangler in Toledo, OH---and moving elsewhere.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...y-go-aluminum/

If they do this, how many see the end of the Wrangler as we know it? There is a small quote in there as stating that "We need to be mindful of what owners want to modify when considering new materials".....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 06:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Yawn. Kilobyte filler. The diesel engine is the big rumor and will cover most of those topics without changing much about the Wrangler itself. Marchionne said that they were looking at aluminum but it would be much better served in other areas. These "Automotive News" reports are whack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #3 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Yawn. Kilobyte filler. The diesel engine is the big rumor and will cover most of those topics without changing much about the Wrangler itself. Marchionne said that they were looking at aluminum but it would be much better served in other areas. These "Automotive News" reports are whack.
Would normally say this----however car and driver just released a much more verbose report about it. Like I said (and the article said) Marchionne just stated to reverse...they are seriously considering it.. As C&D points out, if they are making it a '17 model, the decision has probably already been made.

I would bet that the body will at least be aluminum--real question will be if they make the mistake of making it a unibody design.

Sadly I still doubt that they will give the Wrangler a Diesel. The rumor for a bit was that they will start putting them in next years model--which makes no sense as 17 is the model changeover (why put a new engine (and urea system) in something that is on its last year?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I don't care if it runs on unicorn rainbow farts. I will not buy another jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

if its a uni then it must burn....

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #6 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Rock God

I'm all for a light wrangler, but making it unibody would be an epic fail. Also no thank you on a turbocharged jeep. Asking for crack housings every time you wheel it.

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #7 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 08:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

But the soccer moms will be lined up out the door to buy one. Fiat doesn't care about the Jeep heritage.

Glad I have a '14. Next will be a TJ and then a CJ as additions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #8 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Same here, i'm going to pay off the Wrangler and then move onto some other toy. I doubt i'd ever buy something newer from Jeep. I'd really like to have something that goes fast after the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #9 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Granite Guru

Unibody would definitely kill the wrangler. It would probably still sell, but people wouldn't wheel them as much. I loved my XJ, but it got pretty twisted offroad and my tailgate had a hard time closing. I would take a turbo though...the diesel engine would have one anyway and you could tune the gassers to do well with them offroad.
post #10 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoastfocus View Post
Unibody would definitely kill the wrangler. It would probably still sell, but people wouldn't wheel them as much. I loved my XJ, but it got pretty twisted offroad and my tailgate had a hard time closing. I would take a turbo though...the diesel engine would have one anyway and you could tune the gassers to do well with them offroad.
Kill it? It would probably boost sales. Most Wranglers never leave pavement...it would probably lead to a drop in sales among enthusiasts, but I'm not sure even that would last more than a year (and it would likely be overshadowed by the increase in soccer mom sales, since it will probably perform better in crash and fuel economy tests).

Does nobody remember how much uproar there was when the JK was coming down the pike? The banana windshield and other crap? And unibodies aren't inherently bad for wheeling. There are more XJs hitting trails out here than JKs, by a WIDE margin.

Edit: It might be worth noting that I think it sucks, too. But I'm not the average Wrangler owner (or prospective owner), and neither are any of you.

'12 Sport...I need to up my powerball investments, mods are expensive!
post #11 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Rock God

Id like to see a smaller aluminum wrangler with a turbo on a steel frame with beefy axles. Sounds perfect to me. Crossing fingers

post #12 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltz View Post
Id like to see a smaller aluminum wrangler with a turbo on a steel frame with beefy axles. Sounds perfect to me. Crossing fingers
smaller as in TJ or CJ size as compared to our JK whales?

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #13 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Rock God

Exactly. .. but with several offerings. Short, Long, Truck, 4 door

post #14 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Granite Guru

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that this quote from the article is true:

At the Detroit Auto Show this past January, Jeep CEO Mike Manley told FoxNews.com the company was looking at aluminum for the next generation Wrangler, but that no compromises would be made to its off-road prowess.

It has to be a Wrangler, what we cant do is damage its capability, because its the icon of the brand, Manley said. So taking weight out of that vehicle in an appropriate way is very important.
post #15 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Marchionne has more clout than Manley. Mostly because, in the end, Marchionne has the last say.

If they switch to everything that the article is referring to, I'm out. Did anyone see Ford releasing the new Bronco? Yeah, they'll fuck that up too.

Once the JK is paid off, I'll end up with another JK for strictly wheeling purposes. For my area, 37's are about perfect for even the bigger stuff (without getting so big I won't fit anywhere) and that Jeep will be built accordingly. I'll never own a newer product from Jeep, if it does go down this way. Why would I? If the Wrangler pins itself into the "SUV appliance" category, there are other options that are better on fuel, more powerful and more reliable then what Jeeps and other Chrysler products have proven to have been.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #16 of 65 Old 10-03-2014, 11:09 PM
JTL

FYI

To start , I work for Chrysler. In no way does this make me an expert on future products and I do not wish to give that impression. However what I have seen and heard in our company news letter that goes to all employees via our company web site is this : Chrysler has been exploring the possibility of ADDITIONAL production of Jeep products, in Europe , for the euro market (right hand drive etc.) as the Toledo plant is pretty much maxed out in terms of production capacity building for the US/Can domestic markets. Also the Marchionne quote about aluminum for bodies was something to the effect that aluminum would probably be better used in vehicles other than pick-ups and suv's. I have seen posts from others on this and other forums who work at Jeep in Toledo, who would probably have more insight into these topics than myself. I just don't want to see any misinformation circulated as fact until there is proof L8R. JT
post #17 of 65 Old 10-04-2014, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

The real issue for Jeep enthusiasts is how much Fiat will "dumb down" the next generation utility Jeep platform. If what they spit out for '17 is some Geo Tracker-esqe "cute ute" made up out of the Fiat parts bins then Jeep as we've known it will no longer exist. If, otoh, they really do understand the basic requirements of the utility Jeep and produce a capable, durable performance oriented platform it may be OK. Having retired from a Chrysler competitor, I know product development well and based upon stuff we've seen Fiat release and stick a "Jeep" badge on recently, I'm not optimisti. My money is on the JK replacement being a disaster as far as the enthusiast goes. Too many rumors of fully independent IFS/IRS suspension, etc. to ignore. If it's unibody, hey, so was the old XJ, not a show stopper. If it's a sidewinder car-based four banger with front wheel drive bias (as I suspect it will be) with un-alterable full independent, the game's over for Jeep as far as we're concerned.

Sad, but based upon the display at this year's EJS you could easily see the heart & soul we've come to admire about the Jeep factory team was no longer evident. Highlight was the Fiat 500-based "Renegade" which just made people mad, virtually no interest in it whatsoever from the Jeep community in Moab....that shuld give Jeep pause, but probably won't.

The good news is the huge number of TJs & JKs out there that for years will be mod-ready, particularly the last model year runs. If, as we suspect, Fiat butt-boys the JK replacement, your current JK will have the resale value equivalent of a Land Rover Defender. That is, little or no depreciation. Those units in operation will keep a certain number of the Jeep-centric aftermarket vendors in business, but they eventually will move on to other markets. So, if you're on the fence about getting a new JK, I'd advise geting one now and avoid the chance you'll be disappointed in two years.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #18 of 65 Old 10-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
I'm all for a light wrangler, but making it unibody would be an epic fail. Also no thank you on a turbocharged jeep. Asking for crack housings every time you wheel it.

Really, I haven't noticed any cracks in mine.
post #19 of 65 Old 10-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm interested to see what the vehicle will look like with this unibody. I have to assume that it will be even more rounded than the jk for fuel economy. IFS and IRS should be fun...

I hope the Toledo plant employees are able to keep their jobs.

I guess I will have to park my jk and maintain low mileage so I'll have it when old since I'll never buy another new wrangler again now

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #20 of 65 Old 10-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Granite Guru

Not to worry, Ford is reviving the Bronco.
That should put some pressure on Jeep to maintain an off-road capable vehicle.
post #21 of 65 Old 10-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Granite Guru

And this is why I'm never selling my CJ, YJ, TJ, and Jk...

OIF
post #22 of 65 Old 10-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by legi0n View Post
Not to worry, Ford is reviving the Bronco.
That should put some pressure on Jeep to maintain an off-road capable vehicle.
Fourwheeler published a nicely contrived April Fools Day hoax on the new Bronco but it was just that - a joke .

http://www.insidercarnews.com/ford-f...o-will-return/

Did I miss something?
post #23 of 65 Old 10-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Granite Guru

Honestly with all the hype ford would be stupid not to release one at this point. Plus a big chance of stealing jeep fans with the wranglers revamp comming.
post #24 of 65 Old 10-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

The only fact about a new wrangler is the use of aluminum the rest it pure speculation by media to more subscribers. Ever new wrangler is the same "the end to jeep is coming"

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #25 of 65 Old 10-05-2014, 03:11 AM
Rock God

So if they make it a unibody does it get Street Rated badging?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode