Differential temps after driving? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Differential temps after driving?

2014 JKURX manual transmission with 4:10 gearing and 37" tires.

Paranoia or valid issue:

Got out and crawled underneath to do an impromptu check and just noted that my front differential is much cooler than my rear differential... I had just completed a 25 minute drive across town in 2WD.

... Still have the drive shaft connected on the front so the drive train still turns parasitically to the transfer case... I just don't ever remember the rear diff being hotter than the front.

The front was warm to the touch while the rear was actually hot enough to not allow me to keep my hand on the casing.

Can anyone else make a quick check of their differential temps after a trip and let me know what they find?

Thoughts:

Rear diff seal appears ragged... I wonder if I have lost oil from it?
Have not hit the rear diff on anything
Have not pulled the rear diff cover for any reason (yet!)

What should the oil level for the rear diff be measured at? (Gonna go check when I know what I'm looking for)

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by membrain View Post
2014 JKURX manual transmission with 4:10 gearing and 37" tires.

Paranoia or valid issue:

Got out and crawled underneath to do an impromptu check and just noted that my front differential is much cooler than my rear differential... I had just completed a 25 minute drive across town in 2WD.

... Still have the drive shaft connected on the front so the drive train still turns parasitically to the transfer case... I just don't ever remember the rear diff being hotter than the front.

The front was warm to the touch while the rear was actually hot enough to not allow me to keep my hand on the casing.

Can anyone else make a quick check of their differential temps after a trip and let me know what they find?

Thoughts:

Rear diff seal appears ragged... I wonder if I have lost oil from it?
Have not hit the rear diff on anything
Have not pulled the rear diff cover for any reason (yet!)

What should the oil level for the rear diff be measured at? (Gonna go check when I know what I'm looking for)
It's normal. More heat buildup in the rear because it's actually under load instead of coasting. If you're concerned, get yourself a cheap laser thermometer at Harbor Freight or somewhere and monitor them regularly. Be prepared to see the temps go up significantly if you swap gears, tow, etc.

By "rear diff seal" I'm assuming you mean the silicone sealing the cover to the housing. Probably just what oozed out as the cover was tightened unless you can see evidence of significant leakage.

Rear diff oil should be at least up to the level of the bottom of the housing tubes so you can get lube out to the wheel bearings at the end of the tubes. If you haven't lifted it -- i.e. Changed the rotational angle of the diff housing -- you should be able to pull the fill plug on level ground and feel the oil with the tip of your little finger at the bottom of the fill hole.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-28-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks, thought I was getting old or something.

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode