Need Experienced Buying Advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-24-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Need Experienced Buying Advice

Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to the forum but have been longtime lurking. I've been an avid Jeep fanatic for years and am finally seriously considering biting the bullet. Because of my budget I am looking to buy used. I need a rig that is capable off road and can also be used to make the occasional jaunt around town. I am planning to purchase a rig that is already modded. I realize there are pros and cons to this, however, I believe I have found a potential candidate rig that seems to have an owner who knew what he was doing.

I am asking for anyone with experience to tell me if this looks like a good deal. I realize y'all cannot read a crystal ball and tell me if there will be future problems. However, I just need an evaluation of the equipment and whether or not you think it is a safe bet, as well as a good deal. I will link in the article on Craigslist that I have found. Hopefully I haven't broken any code of conduct or posted in the wrong section. Thanks in advance for the advice y'all.

In addition to the information in the add I have found out the following:

-Jeep has 50,000 miles, most of which was spent commuting long distance to see wife.
-Jeep has been crawling twice and mudding twice (According to owner)
-Lift was installed at ~2,000 miles but shocks/springs replaced at 30,000
-Lift kit was professionally installed
-Lift kit is Rancho 4" long-arm suspension lift
-No driveshaft mods/engine mods
-Owner has a brand new set of 5.13 Yukon gears sealed in original box that will come with sale.
-Tires have 40% tread life left

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/4624019322.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

What does "professionally installed" mean? Maybe find out what shop did the work and then google-search to see if they seem to have a good reputation.

Mudding = twice/ rock-crawling = twice? Not very likely. Very few people are going to disclose anything more than "once or twice off road" because there is seldom going to be any way to dispute this. That doesn't necessarily matter.

What matters more is how it drives/ how it handles. What noises ( if any) do you hear when behind the wheel driving slowly around town/ on the highway/ and while flexing a little bit... Grinding, vibrations, strange thumps, etc, etc... will tell you some more about the condition of this rig.

What kind of maintenance was done on the rig over the 50k mile life so far? What kind of receipts does the owner have? How often was the oil changed?

Look under the rig when you go to look at it. Look for signs of any fluid loss/ leakage and see what kind of condition everything is in... including any and every thing that you can think of... air cond, heat, wipers, cruise, auto windows, door locks, bushings, control-arms, suspension components, serpentine belt, hoses, etc, etc. Check the oil on the dip-stick to see if it's dirty and how varnished the stick is. Doesn't mean that there is a problem if things don't look great but might provide a little more insight into past or potential problems. Does it have a hitch? A quick inspection might tell you if it's towed anything throughout it's life.

It's not too hard to get a decent idea of someone's integrity during a potential buy so read the seller as best you can. If you find him to be not answering questions or double-talking, outright lying, etc... then that should be a red-flag.

Also not hard to quickly evaluate how clean the rig is inside and out... including underneath and in the engine bay. Hell... look at the air filter. If it's super dirty then you know right there that maintenance might not be up to required scheduling.

Take down the vin # and see if you can find any additional info on it... accident, repo, # of owners, title status, possible flood damage, etc, etc, etc. If you can take it to a qualified mechanic, then do that too.

I don't see anything that you've listed as something that would affect my interest if it was me, but I would however, go ahead and do as much homework once you're in front of the vehicle as what you can.

And as always... find legitimate reasons to lower your offer from asking price. Good luck.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 7 Old 09-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Granite Guru

Might be a good deal if the price is within you range. My JK came with that same lift, I had it worn out in a few months. Look at the for sale section on this site to see if a member has a rig listed. The biggest thing is do not get in a rush to buy a Jeep that has several mods that you might want to change very soon after you buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2014, 11:15 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I call BS on being wheeled in the rocks twice, that was an AZ Jeep at some point, you can see the AZ plate in the one picture showing the rear and he's on an AZ trail. Rocks are pretty hard to avoid on most trails here. I would definitely spend some time combing through the suspension, brackets, etc before even considering it, considering how much damage our trails can do to an undercarriage. I personally would go for a stocker and build it, but it's your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Granite Guru

All of the above is great advice.

One question... is that running 37s w/ stock gears? I see he is including gears in a box, but you'll want to factor in having those installed into the costs, at least if you plan on driving it on the street at any speed.

'11 JK Unlimited Sahara - 2.5 Frankenlift, ,33X12.50 Duratracs on 15" MB72s, Genright Rockers (aluminum), WURX front and rear bumpers/tire carrier, Warn winch

'01 TJ 60th Anniversary, 2" Budget Boost, 33" BFG ATs, AFW Front Bumper, Olympic Rock Bumper, Warn Engine & Steering box skid, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, OR Fab Rock Slider Bars, Rhino'd tub - GONE
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 AM
Wheeler

Personally I would go for a brand new jk off the lot if it is in your budget. Peace of mind and you can build it the right way and how you want it. That jk has been rolling on 37s for a while with stock gearing. Not good.

2014 JKU Sport White, Auto, 3.73s
3'' Trailmaster with 3/4'' spacers
35'' KM2 on 15'' Baja 8s
15'' Earthquake subs with Boston Acoustic upgrade
AEV Procal
Angry Off-Road Handles
Custom Stubby Bumper w/Stinger

2007 Suburban 4x4 LTZ
1995 F-350 4x4 (Smoking fast)
1999 Cherokee 4x4 Rough Country Lift on Rubi take offs
1996 Cherokee 4x4 Skyjacker lift on 32s Locked front and rear
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

You can buy a 2013 base 2dr with Ac and auto for $22,500 all day long (autotrader online). Buying a modded Jeep comes with all the issues of a modded Jeep. That Jeep isn't all that built. In stock form its worth $18K at most the mods are worth .20 on the dollar on the Jeep. Do the math I dont think the Jeep is worth anything over $20K its got the 3.8 turd motor.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode