More Death Wobble Fun? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-19-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
More Death Wobble Fun?

Just wanted to ask a few questions:

Has anyone fixed death wobble with repairs to the rear suspension?

Since my lift I always had a little shimmy when I hit a bump, I thought it was just the nature of running flexjoints on all ends. It did resemble the Death wobble effect without the progressive increase to uncontrol; I found something over the weekend that I thought was nothing but it firmed up the Jeeps ride a bunch.

Apparently when I assembled my joints, one of them had torqued and not settled properly leaving a space for the ball to have about 1/8" of play. It wasn't noticeable on the ground but when I unloaded the joint you could move the ball in the joint. I re-torqued and it's a whole new Jeep.
So I thought if one joint having 1/8" of play could raise this much hell; I wonder what another thing, like the rear trackbar, would do?

Now it wasn't the only thing I did in that time; I did have the front LCA mount skids installed. This leads me to another question. Could this have been a problem as well?

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 PM
JKowners Vendor

...uuuhhhh...what's the question?

No, I have not had rear end adjustment fix Death Wobble, as it is commonly defined. I have had fun stuff in the rear end cause other fun wobbles, and it sounds like you tracked some down. ? Having a loose rear track bar is an interesting drive. LCA skids could contribute to DW if the LCA bolts weren't tightened. If you can get 1/8" of play when you wiggle something by hand, imagine how far it can travel with the force of the Jeep behind it? That's why it's important to check the tightness of bolts with wrenches, not just wiggling by hand.

I guess the bottom line for everyone is: crawl under your Jeep and tighten everything up on a regular basis, especially after mods.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #3 of 3 Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

LOL: I tried to put "?" where they were supposed to be. I get long winded on the keyboard.

The funny thing about my joints, they were torqued at the bolt to spec. The joint itself was loose; with the LCA installed and loaded it appeared to operated as advertized. It wasn't until I disconnected it from the axle that you could see the movement. I would have never guessed, I've lubed it several times since the install too.

When checking links I would add; if you have flex joints you might want to unload the joint (e.g. unbolt or jack from the frame and let the suspension droop) and check the condition of the joint itself.

Jeep School got it but for the others, the short question is: Has anyone looked into the rear suspension to fix a Death Wobble problem?

Question two: Could the OEM LCA mounts in front be flexing enought to contribute to the DW?

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.

Last edited by Broncojohn; 01-19-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode