windjammer question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
windjammer question

ive got an 09 2 door and i am looking at buying a windjammer for it. on quadratec's site, the pic of the jk with it on has door surrounds on it, but i dont have any. so my question is do you need the door surrounds for the windjammer or no? i would imagine no, but im just checking. thanks

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Wheeler

If you want it for rain protection you need the door surrounds. If you want it for shade you don't need the surrounds.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7765 View Post
If you want it for rain protection you need the door surrounds. If you want it for shade you don't need the surrounds.
he's talking windjammer.. not the safari top.....

~ Clam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clam View Post
he's talking windjammer.. not the safari top.....
right just the windjammer. and not the new wrap around one. just the good old fashioned windjammer.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Wheeler

Oops sorry. I have both. I think the wraparound wind jammer needs the surrounds but the old style that does not wrap around does not need the surrounds.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Rock God

I have the Wraparound Windjammer. It requires the door surrounds. It's also a peice of shit. Of that entire set...the Duster is really the only decent product that works properly. The bikini top is crap. Why they have those folds towards the front on each side is beyond me. All they do is leak and they don't seem to serve any real purpose. Its a cool look...but really a waste of money.

Also...with the Windjammer on you cannot put your seats back very far. Im not a really big guy or nothing but in order for me to keep my seats from touching the Windjammer I have to practically be making love to my steering wheel.

Another problem...if you like using your rearview mirror don't get it. Even with the soundbar cap...which is extra...that holds it up and completes the seal to the soundbar I can still only see my tire. The Windjammer creates some horrible blindspots and makes your rearview all but useless.

Theres my 20 bucks on the subject. Seriously...save yourself the hassle.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce View Post
I have the Wraparound Windjammer. It requires the door surrounds. It's also a peice of shit. Of that entire set...the Duster is really the only decent product that works properly. The bikini top is crap. Why they have those folds towards the front on each side is beyond me. All they do is leak and they don't seem to serve any real purpose. Its a cool look...but really a waste of money.

Also...with the Windjammer on you cannot put your seats back very far. Im not a really big guy or nothing but in order for me to keep my seats from touching the Windjammer I have to practically be making love to my steering wheel.

Another problem...if you like using your rearview mirror don't get it. Even with the soundbar cap...which is extra...that holds it up and completes the seal to the soundbar I can still only see my tire. The Windjammer creates some horrible blindspots and makes your rearview all but useless.

Theres my 20 bucks on the subject. Seriously...save yourself the hassle.
wow thanks for the heads up. anyone else having these problems?

i thought about the seat issue as i was lookin at the jk earlier and wondering just how far up the seats would have to be for it to work. i didnt think it would be much of an issue considering my impressive 5' 7" stature, but maybe i was wrong.

i wouldnt get the bikini because i have the orh top which part of can be used as a bikini that goes all the way to the back seats. i wasnt planning on getting the wrap around and therefore wasnt expecting it to be great against rain. just keep the backdraft out in the mornings when its still cold when im running with the doors and bikini on.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Rock God

Yup...I was thinking of doing the same thing...but it will not work. Wraparound needs the stock door surrounds...which is what makes it not work with the ORH top since it needs its own surrounds to stay on. Frankly im just gonna get the ORH top and call it good. From what I understand it is just as fast and probably easier to take off the rear windows on the ORH top. The Wraparound Windjammer has a bunch of straps you gotta undo to remove it. If you got the soundbar cap it makes it a bit more complicated. The windjammer also goes all the way down to the floor and has straps that clip under the seats. 2 on each side. All in all...for the effort...just get the ORH top. Thats just my opinion based on my experience with the Windjammer setup though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode