Paint Jeep or buy new? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Paint Jeep or buy new?

Need help with a decision. I am expecting a bonus that would facilitate either scenario. Just looking for some sound reasoning, and smart remarks of course.

So I have a 2008 Silver Sahara with 25,000 miles that I LOVE. I have put probably about $1000 in mods; nothing groundbreaking: a 3" Rough country lift, moving exhaust, evap can, heated seats, ambient lighting, steering stabilizer, quick discos, rusty's intake etc. Nothing that can't be redone, and nothing that I expect to add value other than meeting my own personal preferences. The 2008 has the lifetime powertrain warranty, for what it is worth. I owe a little under $16,000 with a 4.94% note with 48 months remaining. I see KBB values between $25-27k.

I have always wanted an orange jeep. I don't care what Chrysler calls it, mango tango is a color that I want.

What would be the best play? Trading in ol' Silver Sara for a new Mango Tango OR paying for a real high quality paint job on my existing model. If I buy new, I would want to get out with a 48 mo loan close to the same payment ($360-ish).

Pros with buying new: Get a new jeep (less miles) with some new features (when is the pentastar due out?) in a factory color I want with original paint in all the cracks and crevices. Opportunity to get a Rubi (not a requirment). New tires (mine are coming due in the next 12 mos and I would try to negotiate Rubi wheels/tires even if I got a Sahara)

Cons with new: New loan, hassle with trading/selling/sales tax. Redoing mods (eh, sometimes its fun, but it is a hassle to carve out the time with 3 kids under 5). Delay to bigger tires (I refuse to get new tires before I wear these out)

Pros with painting: Keep the jeep I love, ability to pick a color / shade I like better than Mango Tango, enjoy mods that I have done. Eventually (sooner) get the 33's I want. Keep a jeep with lifetime powertrain warranty.

Cons with painting: What a PIA to take all that stuff off, probably would lead as the most expensive mode ever on my jeep.

Thoughts?

2008 Silver "Sara" Unltd
Aboveumall.com Muffler Relocation
Woods Evap Relo
Rough Country 3.25" Suspension Lift
Rough Country quick discos
Rough Country double steering stablizer
wussy interior mods galore
2 Sunshine Kids carseats that exactly match the stock fabric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

i would think buying the new color u like would be alot better...

if u paint.. ur gonna have get the doors and engine compartment.. so ur still gonna see silver on ur jeep..

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 AM
JKO Addict!

If you paint it Clemson orange youre at serious risk of being gay...
Kidding (see the columbia location at left)

Keep it and paint it, then stick a big ol Gamecocks sticker on your door to offset the color

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

This is going to be a long year to have to endure the clucking....

If I were king, I would have a special tailgating jeep painted Clemson orange, with purple and white stripes down the middle, a white grill, and white paws on the doors.

Ultimate tailgate paint job.

2008 Silver "Sara" Unltd
Woods Evap Relo
post #5 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Rock God

I would buy new for one reason. Value. If you repaint the current JK any other color than the original it devalues. Now the JK isn't worth as much. Get a new one.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Wheeler

Buy one red rock lol, go gamecocks!!!!! seriously painting it will be tough you have to strip everything
post #7 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 04:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Chrysler makes you sign a piece of paper which states that if you add any non Mopar authorized mods, that it voids your warranty. Maybe you where excited when you were originally making your purchase and just wanted to get the paperwork signing out of the way. Your sales person should have pointed this piece of paper out to you. Mine did, when I purchased my JK new.
// thread jack //

Me thinks you need to scan & post this "paperwork". I KNOW I did not sign any such paper. I probably would've walked away had they attempted to have me sign such a retarded piece. Seriously, where is this "MOPAR authorized mod" list?

// thread jack off // (no pun intended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #8 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Rock God

id say new as well.
imagine paint the whole thing just to have it slightly off, it would drive you nuts.
i couldnt imagine paying several thousand on a paint job just to scratch it off on the trail. I dont mind scratching the factory paint though.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Rock God

Get a new Rubi for sure!!! Upgrade that Sahara to a Rubi and start all over with the mods!!! I love that orange.. if I had the money I'd go buy a new one too
post #10 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 06:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I'll try and dig mine up for ya and scan it. You'll have to handle the reading part on your own since this forum doesn't support (VOIF)Voice Over Internet Forum.

While I'm at it, you do your part and call Chrysler's Warranty department and ask them if there are any modifications which can void your warranty.

I knew I had to add this last line in my original post because someone would come along and miss the point.
they cant just void your entire warranty because you modded your Jeep

My jeep is lifted, has snorkel, has after market griffin radiator running prestone antifreeze and they covered my water pump under the lifetime powertrain, they are also going to cover my crankshaft seal leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #11 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Rock God

My dealer told me that the only mods that void the warranty are any mods to the engine or drivetrain. Lifts 3 inches and under are ok as they do not require a change to the driveline. Not that it matters...my warranty expired 300 miles ago.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
So you tell me....are you so sure what is covered and what isn't covered due to adding a lift??? Are you a lawyer??? Do you have anything from Chrysler in writing, saying it's ok to add, A,B,C and D and these items will still be covered under Warranty? Have you even read your Warranty agreement
?

Not the age old warranty argument hijacking a thread for the ten trillionth time on the forum! Bottom line, COULD a moderate modification void that specific or directly related piece of your Jeep from a warranty claim? YES! Can you most likely find a mod friendly dealer that uses common sense and realizes that a snorkel would not cause your axle seals to leak? YES!

Back to the topic at hand, the sooner you pay off your jeep the sooner you will have more money for crazy mods since you won't have a monthly payment! If your happy with your current Jeep then you might want to keep her and not risk trading it on a new one riddled with the common problems. Check out some of the vehicle "wraps" as an alternative to a new paint job. It's like a big sticker that covers your whole jeep in whatever color/design you
want. Just an idea, might not be your thing

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #13 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 08:59 PM
JKowners Vendor

Buy new!

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #14 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
JKO Addict!

If it was me I would look into possibly going with a two-tone paint job (original silver and the orange) to avoid the cost of a new full paintjob and the hassle/expense. Might not be what you are into, but I bet some cool combos could be come up with. And about the voided warranties........my doctor wife said don't worry bout that
post #15 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Rock God

Trade in your current jeep that you love. But before you do return it to stock (if you can). Go out get your new jeep and then have the installation party. It will go faster this time which means more time for drinkin. Or trade in as is you won't get any extra for the improvements you've made and then you can buy all the mods again, hell even try some new ones if you like. Orange? Well I guess I mean it's not for me all but I get it. I guess I'm just lucky that USC is Crimson and Gold, I got the metallic jeep green, I'm into the classics.

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #16 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Rock God

NEW makes sense. As someone pointed out: paint job = devalue

Also, go with the Rubicon...they tend to hold their value better and, if you can afford it you will be glad you got it.

If you have a Carmax near you, you may want to get it appraised. It's free and it could facilitate unloading your Jeep. They will make you an offer good for 7 days.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #17 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 09:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

^^ The above sig is poorly worded and implies Americans are pushovers.

Regardless, Go with the orange. Volunteer Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #18 of 27 Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You mean chain gang orange.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #19 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

bump - for the weekend crowd

2008 Silver "Sara" Unltd
Woods Evap Relo
post #20 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Wheeler

Talking

buy new !!!

jeep
post #21 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Wheeler

i'ld check in with some custom paint designs * high jack alert// with a common "thread"

* we hired a printer to add our softball team name to our jerseys. he made a mistake and printed and pumpkin orange logo instead of gold. because he gave us such a break on the price we were ok with it. lots of compliments throughout the season on the grey /pumpkin orange with black trim. seemed odd at the time but it really worked out well

Last edited by ntcbassman; 01-23-2010 at 02:09 PM.
post #22 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Granite Guru

How many payments do you have left on it. I would pay it off and then buy another one. then you would have one foe the trail and one for the street.

[x] 4in la lift [x] 37in Pro comp E/MT tires [x] eagle 17in 101 wheels [x] super chips [x] ORE outlaw rear fenders [x] ORE C gussets [x] ORE magnum 44 sleeves[x] 5.38 gears
[x] RR front bumper [x] xrc 8000lb winch [x] home brew cage [x] RR front bumper [x] home brew rear bumper [x] home brew front grill guard [x] home brew tube fenders
[x] home brew rubi sliders[ ] red neck ram[ ] 2in bb[ ] 40s
post #23 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Rock God

With 48 payments I would deal with the color. I would honestly say that if I could trade it in for a rubi then do it. Especially if it was mango tango and had the 1/2 doors. I would consider waiting until next year since the penstar is supose to come in the Wrangler in 2011. Then again so was the diesel.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
post #24 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to armedsks

I would keep it. 25k miles isnt jack. Spend a couple of thousand and get a nice paint job. If you are going to get a new one. Try to return the jeep as stock as possible. Or sell it private. A dealer will hose you on trade in and you may or may not break even on your debt of 16,000. Do you really want to end up spending 30K on a new rubi??

Take care of what you have and pay it off.

Noting like driving a vehicle thats paid for!

I dont have to worry about orange, I have a 09 X sunburst orange.
post #25 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 05:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedsks View Post
Spend a couple of thousand and get a nice paint job.
Quality paint job on your Jeep with a change in color is going to be a few thousand bucks. Windshield frame, engine bay, door jams, doors, inside of hood, rollcage all have to be cut-in with new color. Lots of extra labor when you change the color and you will never get that money back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode