New Trektop NX - undecided - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

New Trektop NX - undecided

Well, first off thanks to Marcus at River City Offroad for a good deal on the Trektop NX for my 2door JK.

Yesterday was nice and warm so it was a great day for the install. Took me about 90 minutes as I was doing it alone, but it wasn't too difficult. Laid it all out in the sun while I took the stock top off and gathered the tools for the install. Was out and about with it on the Jeep by lunchtime.

Here's the thing, though. I don't know if I like it all that much. I love the look, and I love having nice brandy-new windows to see out of with no bars in the way, but...

- The much-touted quietness is great, for the most part, but if my window is down even a little bit, the top bounces off the top of the door surround (just at the back of the door, aft of the rear surround knob) like a slightly-slowed-down woodpecker.

- The rear edge does flap (also very fast) at highway speed with the rear window out.

- I can't quite manage the window attachment so well - where the original side-curtains attached high on the side, the NX curtains attach more on the top surface of the cage; the zipper mates more on the skyward horizontal surface... which I can't reach from the ground, and where I park, the driver's side is a bit downhill, so standing on the step bar I have to hang on with one hand or I fall off.

- I'm still undecided about the complete removal vs. the fold-down of the original top. It's not bad, sure, but I could always do the stock top in under a minute, down or up.

So I'm just wondering if I wasted the dough for the NX. There was no way I'd be able to have known these things without having tried it firsthand, so I guess I had to find out the hard way.

Former: 2007 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, and then a brief stint with 2010 in a different green...
Current: 2009 JK X, Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-22-2014, 07:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDakka View Post
Well, first off thanks to Marcus at River City Offroad for a good deal on the Trektop NX for my 2door JK.

Yesterday was nice and warm so it was a great day for the install. Took me about 90 minutes as I was doing it alone, but it wasn't too difficult. Laid it all out in the sun while I took the stock top off and gathered the tools for the install. Was out and about with it on the Jeep by lunchtime.

Here's the thing, though. I don't know if I like it all that much. I love the look, and I love having nice brandy-new windows to see out of with no bars in the way, but...

- The much-touted quietness is great, for the most part, but if my window is down even a little bit, the top bounces off the top of the door surround (just at the back of the door, aft of the rear surround knob) like a slightly-slowed-down woodpecker.

- The rear edge does flap (also very fast) at highway speed with the rear window out.

- I can't quite manage the window attachment so well - where the original side-curtains attached high on the side, the NX curtains attach more on the top surface of the cage; the zipper mates more on the skyward horizontal surface... which I can't reach from the ground, and where I park, the driver's side is a bit downhill, so standing on the step bar I have to hang on with one hand or I fall off.

- I'm still undecided about the complete removal vs. the fold-down of the original top. It's not bad, sure, but I could always do the stock top in under a minute, down or up.

So I'm just wondering if I wasted the dough for the NX. There was no way I'd be able to have known these things without having tried it firsthand, so I guess I had to find out the hard way.
I understand most of your gripes. I had the factory top on my 2007 and then the 1st gen trektop before i made the switch to the NX. The factory soft top was fine, and the 1st gen trektop was great for my needs. The regular trektop was also way simpler than the NX.

I remember when I opened the box for the NX I was just like WTF is all this crap?

That being said, i would not go back to the 1st gen now that I have the NX. The NX is a lot quieter than the 1st gen, and if you think this flaps, go get a 1st gen and then you'll see what flapping is all about. For my orgiinal trektop, i made a pvc prop top to keep the top tight and to keep it form flapping around. Unfortunately, without a traditional frame, I think it is what it is. My trektop NX doesn't really flap all that much though - did you secure those little hooks into the sound bar?

The window attachments on this top are a pain in the ass. What I've been doing is zipping them in most of the way before i put it on. That will probably help out with the problem you're having.

As far as the fold down v. total removal - you're right, the stock top is easy to just pop on down and head on your way. The NX has quite a few more steps, but once you get it down, it's great. I can get my NX off in about five minutes, and back on in about ten.

All in all, you may not love the NX and if thats the case, there's no shame in switching back to a regular top. I think 90% of people who get a trektop get it for the looks because when it comes to functionality one thing jeep did right with the JK is the stock soft top.

For me, I can't run the stock soft top because the JK would not fit in the garage with it on. So my choice was easy. If I had a choice, would I run the stock top? Probably not...but thats mostly because I'm part of the 90% that like the looks of the trektop over the factory top.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #3 of 7 Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
and if you think this flaps, go get a 1st gen and then you'll see what flapping is all about.
LOL - I think I know... *I* got your 1st-gen soft top in trade toward my '07 hard top, if you remember. I never had a problem with it, but now I have a different Jeep! Honestly, I liked the non-sunrider soft top's operation better than the newer stock top - the clips for the sunrider flip part never want to catch.

I do like the NX looks better than the stock top, but only a little. Just not sure it's $600 worth of tradeoff. I'll keep it on a few days and see if it changes at all. I did find that the rattling above the doors is an exposed white plastic piece on the inside of the fabric.

Former: 2007 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, and then a brief stint with 2010 in a different green...
Current: 2009 JK X, Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Problems that I've had....

The little plastic D hoops on the door surrounds break off too. This is where the crossbow snaps into place. My 4 door has a cross bow in front and rear. The new replacement parts that quadratec sent under warranty had some gusseting on them so they won't break. "D gussets"?

The main cross bar (the one that meets the windshield and has the latches bolted to it) has become warped over time. You can see it sticking up slightly toward the top corners of the windshield frame. Air leaks into the cab now and causes the top to pressurize and bubble up so it is not resting on any of the horizontal cross bars. This too is a known problem that besttop is blaming on malinstallation of the round support rods into the main horizontal bar. The new parts ar supposed to come pre-assembled now so as not to least the end user install them incorrectly.

The other issue that I have had and this may be 4 door specific is that the horizontal crossbar that sits over the sound bar when the top is closed has two issues. When the top is closed, the ends of the pole pop out of the channels that they are supposed to fit down into on the door surrounds. This is most likely due to the above issue where the top bubbles and simply pulls the crossbar out of the channels. When the top is open, the bar will slide to the left or the right and slide so far out that it could bend on something or fall,completely out. The plastic c clip that snaps onto the underside of the top is almost completely I defective as a retainer for this bar.

Bestop acknowledged all of these issues and quadratec is sending me replacement parts at no charge.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Granite Guru

I've had my NX on for about 8 months now and I love it. It is very quiet on the highway even at 85. My wife has commented several times that she thinks the hardtop is on. I love the convertibility.

I have developed a "creak" in the front windshield bar driver's side latch area that I cannot isolate.

I plan to leave it on all winter this year, as the Jeep is covered under a car port so as not to sit under 2 feet of snow.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2014, 02:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJk View Post
I have developed a "creak" in the front windshield bar driver's side latch area that I cannot isolate.

I plan to leave it on all winter this year, as the Jeep is covered under a car port so as not to sit under 2 feet of snow.

So the creaking is what I had as well and you are not going to find it. One rare time I noticed the exact same creak coming form the same spot but while the top was FLIPPED OPEN. Anyway, this is another artifact of the warped header I mentioned above - I simply forgot to add about the creaking. Call bestop to get a warranty replacement "deck" which is the whole top piece plust that horizontal part that is creaking with the latches on it.

The new part arrived two days ago for me from quadratec but I cannot install it because they sent me the wrong replacement door frame.

I also got new door frames because the eyelets break off. The new ones are thicker and have gussets.

If you call bestop, they will blame you (the installer) for not installing the side bows correctly into the deck header (where your creaking is) and attribute the problem to that. They also told me that the new tops come with those two poles pre-installed now but that was not the case with my replacement top.

Bestop also told me that they recommend AGAINST year round use because the freezing temps will shorten the life of the clear parts (think freezing them cause the discoloration - opacity).

Last edited by White13JKUR; 09-24-2014 at 03:15 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM
JKO Addict!

this is where the door rails break....

Broken old part....

Unbroken old door frame next to new frame rail. Note the thicker flange and gussets....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode