Drivability of 2007 JKU on 35's and 5.13's? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Drivability of 2007 JKU on 35's and 5.13's?

So.. I'm in the market for a JKU. I'm trying to stay objective in this whole deal and would like to keep my options open for the earlier model JKU's.

I've driven a couple, one that had a 6spd and 35's, which felt grossly under powered. I mean.. I seriously thought I was gonna have to make the sales person get out and push! I don't know what gears it had, nor did the sales person I was with.

My question is, if I were to land on a good deal for one with 35's and 5.13's, will I experience something similar or will the regear make the power level/drivability tolerable?

I'm used to having CJ's either being geared (37's and 4.88's) or with engines (327, 350 TPI, 5.3 LS) that made gearing a non-issue. I've also had an LJ on 35's/auto that I wound up putting 4.88's in. All are/were fine for daily driving.

But the way this 3.8 makes power/torque has got me wondering... will even having 5.13's be enough to keep me from going nuts? I don't have the expectation of it putting a smile on face when I put it to the floor... but I would like to feel like I'm driving something with a bit more arse than a Chevy Spark.

Thanks in advance for all opinions!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

you can drive it but don't expect to be setting any speed records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

While not exactly the set up you are considering, I'm running 5.13 gears and 35's on a 2012 JKU Automatic - so it has the 3.6 rather than the 3.8 - but the gearing made a world of difference (in a positive way) in the drivability. Yes, I don't plan on any Cannonball Run's with the JKU, but for day in, day out driving (I'm rarely over 75-80 mph) the combination works well for me and allows me the ability to move to 37's at some point without re-gearing.

Do a google search "JK gear ratio chart" and you will find several charts for engine/transmission combination and what ratios and tire sizes are recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Im in an 07 JKU with 35's and 5:13s. much improved street drivability from the stock 4:10's.

Ton of difference in off road ability with the lower gearing, helps it climb like it should !

I live in a relatively flat area, and I am happy with the 5:13's.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #5 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the replies thus far. I drove a 2014 Sahara the other day. It was on 35's, auto and 3.73's. I was quite impressed on how well that drove as is. If fact, I commented that I would be satisfied as is... even though I know 4.56's or possibly 4.88's would be more gooder.

Definitely not looking to set any records... just don't want to be frustrated.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

Been driving my 2007 JKUR Automatic since I bought new.
Upped to 37" on 5.13 maybe 5 years ago.
The gears made a LOT of difference compared to the 4.10.
I'm now on 35" and it does what I ask it to.
Lots of power from 0 to 40kmh.
Lots of power from 60 to 110kmh on 3rd speed (not downshifting to 2nd).
Offroad 4LO you dont even need to give it gaz, it will climb "anything" just fine on idle...

This is my daily driver.
I love it as it is.
Just dont downshift from 4th to 2nd gear trying to go from 60kmh to 100+ because the engine kicks to 4500/5000 rpm and you look/sound silly...
post #7 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDano View Post
So.. I'm in the market for a JKU. I'm trying to stay objective in this whole deal and would like to keep my options open for the earlier model JKU's.

I've driven a couple, one that had a 6spd and 35's, which felt grossly under powered. I mean.. I seriously thought I was gonna have to make the sales person get out and push! I don't know what gears it had, nor did the sales person I was with.

My question is, if I were to land on a good deal for one with 35's and 5.13's, will I experience something similar or will the regear make the power level/drivability tolerable?

I'm used to having CJ's either being geared (37's and 4.88's) or with engines (327, 350 TPI, 5.3 LS) that made gearing a non-issue. I've also had an LJ on 35's/auto that I wound up putting 4.88's in. All are/were fine for daily driving.

But the way this 3.8 makes power/torque has got me wondering... will even having 5.13's be enough to keep me from going nuts? I don't have the expectation of it putting a smile on face when I put it to the floor... but I would like to feel like I'm driving something with a bit more arse than a Chevy Spark.

Thanks in advance for all opinions!!
If you have owned / driven CJs with V8s you will never be HAPPY with a 3.8. Regardless of gears. Can you make yourself live with it, sure. But it will NEVER put a smile on your face, except for the day you have the 3.8 on an engine hoist, lifting it out of your JK to make way for a V8.

I drove my 2007 JKUR for 18 miles with the 3.8. (bought it used.) I yanked it out and did a 5.7 hemi and THAT put a smile on my face.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Rock God

I've been running 37's on 3.73s for a while now. But mine is a 6 speed. Still gets decent mileage around town.

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #9 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
If you have owned / driven CJs with V8s you will never be HAPPY with a 3.8. Regardless of gears. Can you make yourself live with it, sure. But it will NEVER put a smile on your face, except for the day you have the 3.8 on an engine hoist, lifting it out of your JK to make way for a V8.

I drove my 2007 JKUR for 18 miles with the 3.8. (bought it used.) I yanked it out and did a 5.7 hemi and THAT put a smile on my face.

LOL! Agreed... this is where my original comment of "trying to stay objective" comes from!

The end goal is to be content with the power and love the way it performs and meets all needs otherwise. Happy would definitely require no less than a 5.7, prolly more in line with a 6.4 or a 5.7 with some form of forced induction.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDano View Post
LOL! Agreed... this is where my original comment of "trying to stay objective" comes from!

The end goal is to be content with the power and love the way it performs and meets all needs otherwise. Happy would definitely require no less than a 5.7, prolly more in line with a 6.4 or a 5.7 with some form of forced induction.
I think even "content" is too high of a bar to set. I would set the goal as "not slitting my wrists every time I have to drive this thing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode