sucked some water up my intake - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

sucked some water up my intake

so i sucked a little bit of water in my intake and hydrolocked my motor.its a 2008 jeep wrangler with 100k miles. i was wondering what the best way to go about fixing this is. im new to the fourm and any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Buy another motor. All the things spinning and then they suddenly stop causes bad things to happen on the inside of a motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Granite Guru

Call one of the Hemi/LS motor conversion companies - they have plenty of take out motors you could likely buy for less than your local pick and pull. And way less than fixing your current motor if any serious damage happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Buy another motor. All the things spinning and then they suddenly stop causes bad things to happen on the inside of a motor.
having hydrolocked a 650 twin cylinder engine on an ATV i can attest to this. bent parts, broken rings, ect

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2014, 02:40 PM
JKO Addict!

This one time, I totally tried to compress water with a 4.0L Ford.

...and guess what? Water does not compress very well. I saved one of the pistons/rods to remind myself in case I forget.

note the twisted connecting rod and the nice tone of lizard-belly-blue around the wrist pin.

And, no... sadly, I could not swing a warranty claim and had to buy a then new and rare 1991 4.0L ford V6 through the Mazda supply chain.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Rock God

How much is a "little bit" water?

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Wheeler

I've never noticed a color change on bent conrods before...is that normal? Is there a rapid temperature change or something going on there?

'12 Sport...I need to up my powerball investments, mods are expensive!
post #8 of 12 Old 09-24-2014, 03:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
I've never noticed a color change on bent conrods before...is that normal? Is there a rapid temperature change or something going on there?
not sure. only the most badly bent rods showed this. I just nabbed this one (back in 1991) it was the worst.

FWIW, the motor was hot - we had just arrived after a 3 hour drive up to the mountains.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post Rod Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
The color on the rods is from installing the wrist pin. You heat the small end of the rod in a rod heater, when it's hot enough you quickly put it in place on the piston and push the pin in. A few seconds and the rod cools, the end shrinks back to normal size and the pin is installed. I've put hundreds of wrist pins in that way. The other method of installing wrist pins is to put them in a press. I've done a lot that way too, but if anything goes wrong you destroy the piston.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post Insurance Claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeepguy08 View Post
so i sucked a little bit of water in my intake and hydrolocked my motor.its a 2008 jeep wrangler with 100k miles. i was wondering what the best way to go about fixing this is. im new to the fourm and any help would be greatly appreciated!!
If you have full coverage insurance you should try filing a claim with them. Depending on where it happened (If you can claim a road hazard) and your coverage, it may be covered.

There are a couple of back roads in Big Bear area that cross water. I had a friend that hydro locked his motor trying to cross the water (at high speed)and destroyed his motor. His insurance too care of it. He was in a Subaru. It had the intake at the front of the car right below the hood and took in the water nicely! He claimed road hazard.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Wheeler

Makes sense, thanks!

'12 Sport...I need to up my powerball investments, mods are expensive!
post #12 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 11:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
If you have full coverage insurance you should try filing a claim with them. Depending on where it happened (If you can claim a road hazard) and your coverage, it may be covered.
Good luck with that. Been there. Done that too. Farmers kicked it to the curb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode