Forgot to put my top up and it rained - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-21-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Forgot to put my top up and it rained

Woke up to about two inches of rain water in the jeep in the floor well.. Pulled the drain plugs, hopefully none of the electronics are screwed up. Anyone have an suggestions? Supposed to be nice this week so I'm just gonna open the top and hope the sun dried it all out and turn it on tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

At the very least, I would pull the carpet... HUGE pain in the ass unless you're planning to take it out anyway ( like if you're planning to line-x the tub). But simply drying the interior out will leave the bottom part of the carpet ( that is against the tub) to mildew and STINK like an old whore that's been baking yeast rolls in her dirty oven. Subsequently, anytime the carpet gets the least bit wet, the inside of your Jeep is going to smell real bad.

If you aren't thrilled about pulling the carpet to dry it, then try to use as much dry heat and air-circulation as possible. A few strategically placed fans will help, but you still may be smelling that moldy-ass odor if that carpet mildews the least little bit.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 22 Old 09-21-2014, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
At the very least, I would pull the carpet... HUGE pain in the ass unless you're planning to take it out anyway ( like if you're planning to line-x the tub). But simply drying the interior out will leave the bottom part of the carpet ( that is against the tub) to mildew and STINK like an old whore that's been baking yeast rolls in her dirty oven. Subsequently, anytime the carpet gets the least bit wet, the inside of your Jeep is going to smell real bad.

If you aren't thrilled about pulling the carpet to dry it, then try to use as much dry heat and air-circulation as possible. A few strategically placed fans will help, but you still may be smelling that moldy-ass odor if that carpet mildews the least little bit.
Wow, that is the best and most accurate description of the smell when the shit under the carpet gets wet.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
Wow, that is the best and most accurate description of the smell when the shit under the carpet gets wet.
i actually agree.

pull the carpet and get a bottle of odoban. stuff works miracles
http://www.amazon.com/OdoBan-Odor-El.../dp/B000ZOQ9HY
i use that stuff all the time and swear by it. moldy mildew smell, wet dog, skunk ect.

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #5 of 22 Old 09-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Wheeler

Happened to my TJ when it was 6 months old......crapped out both computers/wiring harnesses/ECM's/whatever......it took them 10 days to get it right, but at least it worked and was covered under warranty.....never had any issues after the fix.......even though it's been 15 years, I remember driving home that night after the rain.....big storm moved in when I was taking a final.....on the way home, the blinkers would just randomly come on, dash lights would do the same, and I knew it was all going bad....

2015 2dr Rubi, manual shift, windows, and door locks, love this thing
post #6 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 AM
Granite Guru

I never pull my carpet and it only smells mildewy if I put the top on before it dries out. Most of the time during summer i leave my top down or windows out. All i usually do if there is alot of water is take a shopvac to it and vaccum it up good. Make sure to take the filter out and empty the shopvac first. Then let the sun take and wind from you driving topless take care of it.
post #7 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 05:13 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Contact a local home fire & water restoration company like ServPro. Tell them your carpet got wet and you'd like to buy what they use to spray on carpets to kill mold. If they are cool they will sell you some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #8 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8417 View Post
Woke up to about two inches of rain water in the jeep in the floor well.. Pulled the drain plugs, hopefully none of the electronics are screwed up. Anyone have an suggestions? Supposed to be nice this week so I'm just gonna open the top and hope the sun dried it all out and turn it on tomorrow

dont forget the drain plugs in recessed compartment above muffler heat-shield in back cargo area as well as the one under stock scissor jack as those will fill to capacity and retain h2o for months . if ya dont pull the carpet, lift over weekend thats dry with whatever you can and as many blocks of 2"x4"s as you can as many points as you can then u can steamclean/rug doctor /shop vac it.
Also, aforementioned Jack & little hardware kit under it will be rusted if you dont pull them and spray down with CRC 2-26 or WD40 [grease] .....
I got caught in a heavy heavy rain in my bikini top and cargo duster ...usually rolls off but this was sideways buckets of rain for 30 miles of stop and go traffic[fun!] and it filled up out rear. That was 2 months ago. I found the H2O this past weekend. Ask me how it smelled ....
hope this helps. I am lining this sumbich this coming spring.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yeah i pulled the front carpetting and mid carpeting and replaced it with a bed rug on saturday morning... oddly good timing. Going to have to do the same to the back now i think!

i'm hoping that if i don't turn anything on until tonight after things have had some time to dry out in the sun the electronics won't be fried
post #10 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The main thing I'd worry about is the steering wheel and the clock spring.

You can always throw the entire Jeep in a bag of rice

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #11 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Granite Guru

I have brand new carpet from my 2014 2 door. If you're near sw FL and want to come get it, you can have it. I did pull the front mat retainer clips to re-use but other than that, it's perfect.

2014 JK Sport, auto, 35x12.5x17, 3.73s.

I jeep therefore I am.
post #12 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
The main thing I'd worry about is the steering wheel and the clock spring.

Rofl

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #13 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post

Directions unclear, drove into a rice patty, smell still remains but with a gasha girl now involved

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #14 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

so yeah all of the steering wheel controls are shot. lights horn etc. I'm going to try to unplug the battery when i get home later. Do i need to take the positive off or the negative?

The positive has like a star connector with a bunch of wires going to it. do i take the whole star off or is there a special process or is it ok to just unplug the negative?
post #15 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Granite Guru

Be careful. I read on another forum where a guy got his clock spring wet and his airbag randomly deployed injuring him.

I jeep therefore I am.
post #16 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 01:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Wtf ^^

First time using my Rain gear cover.
I let the water pool. It eventually seeped through and soaked everything. My horn kept going off.
What I did .. Closed up all the windows and cranked the heat. Dried everything all up nice.
A member on WF used to (maybe still does) make steering column covers to protect the clock spring.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #17 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

I take the dehumidifier out of my basement and put it in the Jeep overnight. Bone dry by the morning.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #18 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

I found the thread on JF.

Here.

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-23-2014 at 04:43 AM.
post #19 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Left the battery unplugged for about half an hour while I dried off the rest of the interior, put the drain plugs back in and started her up. Steering wheel controls are back in business. Crisis averted!!!

Hopefully I dont have any airbag issues. That's no joke
post #20 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Cool re:Forgot to put my top up and it rained

if you've got your air-tank/compressor/fart/mother-in-law/whateva - anything that blows really strong pressure of air in an airhoselike manner, dry the little circuitboards and pressure buttons by shootin air around the little finger thumb control buttons and the same around media center touch screen area , windows if power ( sahara owner) , basically use yer wisdome and blow these tight fit areas clear of any residual that could corrode your electronics even tho working now. OCD, you-betcha. I'd rather enjoy havin my [email protected] work* , so just a thought there.....

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-22-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: * even though the whole engine bay and interior on the JK and JKUr, etc, is considered 'wet' compartents ;h2O=ok...
post #21 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you might also want to check your center console for water. My jeep got rained on about 2 months ago with the top off - just a quick down pour - and when i went into the console a few weeks back i was surprised to find all the shit in there sitting in musty, rusty, disgusting water.

You'd be surprised all the places the water ends up that you never thought possible

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #22 of 22 Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Perm View Post
Happened to my TJ when it was 6 months old......crapped out both computers/wiring harnesses/ECM's/whatever......it took them 10 days to get it right, but at least it worked and was covered under warranty.....never had any issues after the fix.......even though it's been 15 years, I remember driving home that night after the rain.....big storm moved in when I was taking a final.....on the way home, the blinkers would just randomly come on, dash lights would do the same, and I knew it was all going bad....
haha I had a Merkur XR4Ti that did that randomly since day one driving off the showroom floor. Every time it'd do that we'd yell BINGO!

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode