post #1 of 12 Old 09-19-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help me trouble shoot some engine codes

So. Im throwing some codes

P 0302
Cylinder 3 misfire

P 2096
Down stream fuel trim system 1 lean

Ok.... What the heck is going on. Plugs? Fuel filter? A shit show??

On the plus, i'm in Moab its 92 and bluebird and i cleaned the escalator like a set of stairs!

Last edited by spookylynx; 09-19-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-19-2014, 06:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Check the spark plug wire to make sure its firmly plugged in on both sides and isn't damaged. Clear the code and see if it comes back. If it does, swap plugs with another cylinder and see if the code chases it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Granite Guru

What engine? How many miles?

I would start with the spark plug. Pull it and clean it up. Changing out the plugs and wires cleared a cylinder 2 misfire on my 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-19-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ill check that in the am. Its getting dark. This may be dumb but, What is the cylinder count? which one is #3

In the mean time, keep the suggestions comming

The motor is the 3.whatever minnivan engine from '10. Its at 59,000 miles. Almost ready for it s 60k do over. Plugs are in my plan to change
post #5 of 12 Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

P0302 is cylinder #2
P0303 would be cylinder #3

The plugs aren't due until 105000 miles on the 3.8 (2007-2012?)

Check the wire carefully, and pull the plug to see the condition of it. You can also swap the mis-fire cylinder plug or wire with another and see if the code follows the suspect parts.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-20-2014, 11:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I started out with P0052 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1), changed the sensor. Still got the code but no driveability issues so I ignored it for a while.

About a week ago it started getting the P0300 random misfire and rough running like when it acts up. 172k with the last 5000 at random gas stations across the US. Plugs and wires were around 100k.

Changed plugs and wires. Plugs looked like this, wire boots were stuck to them and some cables felt stiffer than new.

Now it runs just as bad or worse. Seems to do it more when the engine is cold but still random hot, cold, whatever. It drove fine all weekend then acted up on the wife Monday and yesterday. The left exhaust manifold has a tiny crack I can see on the front side but it's really discolored from heat unlike I remember the old one (replaced a year or so ago under warranty for cracking). There are some specs of dried coolant on the side of the block I'm hoping is nothing. Like dirty told me, it could just be splatter from the overflow at the reservoir. It did see some pretty off camber pavement at the mall a couple weeks ago.

Got these readings with the Superchips Vivid Linq Sunday after about a 20 minute drive.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

so I drove home from Moab and the jeep drove fine. looked at the plugs and wires and everything looked good and was tight. I disconnected the battery and left it sit overnight diso'd for about 12 hours, reconnected in the am and everything reset...... and no more codes.

Drove around all day and no codes returned, and oddly or maybe just placebo, but the jeep seems to drive better now. I don't know, must have just been a hiccup.

The only thing I can think of is my Passenger side exhaust pipe came loose at the manifold, I tightened it and no worries but that was a couple weeks prior to this event.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
P0302 is cylinder #2
P0303 would be cylinder #3

The plugs aren't due until 105000 miles on the 3.8 (2007-2012?)

Check the wire carefully, and pull the plug to see the condition of it. You can also swap the mis-fire cylinder plug or wire with another and see if the code follows the suspect parts.
and you are correct sir... it was #2, i miss read the chart.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

spookylynx, did you get it resolved?

Gold Knights plugs look like they have been burning coolant. Might want to do a leak down test, especially on the side where the plugs are really red.

Also those cat temp readings can't be correct.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #11 of 12 Old 09-28-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
spookylynx, did you get it resolved?

Gold Knights plugs look like they have been burning coolant. Might want to do a leak down test, especially on the side where the plugs are really red.

Also those cat temp readings can't be correct.
not sure what went on. After clearing the code, it has not returned and the jeep runs fine. All the wires were tight, I didnt pull any plugs though.

The only thing I can think of was, since I rerouted my exhaust system for my long arm, every once in a while the flange bolts that hold the pipe to the exhaust manifold come loose. The noted exhaust spit sound occurs, I tighten them up and all good. It dosent happen often, but occasionally.

Well, this time it happened and I put it off since i was on a trail, and then had to work , and then blah, blah blah.... well a check engine light came on. I never read the code, just tightened the bolts and it went away. No worries. That was a week and a half before this event.

So, I think it maybe was been related to that???,,,, except the loose bolts were on the passenger side and cylinder 2 is on the drivers side. Again, not sure... it seems to have resolved itself, it's been 5 days now and the jeep drives just fine and no codes have come back.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-22-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cylinder 2 misfire again. crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode