Question on Selling Wheels and Tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-19-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question on Selling Wheels and Tires

Based on your past experience, what sells quicker, used tires with no wheels, or mounted and balanced on wheels ready to install?

Moving up to 35s and new wheels when my RK lift arrives. Need to sell my 33x12.5x15 Duratracs with 5,000 miles on them. I'm getting 35x12.5x15 MTRs, so I can either keep my current wheels, Level8 Punch, or buy new wheels with tires and save a few bucks on mounting, balancing tax etc, to local shop.

Will cost me about $600 more to buy 5 new wheels, Black Rock D Type, with the 35s. I figure I can recover $400 of the original cost of the Level 8s, so will cost me a couple of hundred to go new. If I can sell the 33s quicker by including the wheels in the deal then it'd be worth it, as I'm ready for something new anyway. I realize not everyone interested in the tires will like the wheels, but maybe offset by those looking for a package deal for quick install. Also not much demand for just 15" tires anymore. I'll be removing and selling my TF BB and Rubicon shocks as well. Here's a shot of the wheels and tires. What do you guys think?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by soonerfan85; 09-19-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-19-2014, 07:17 AM
Rock God

I would say quicker sale goes to mounted and balanced if good price.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Granite Guru

Cant help you with your question, but I do have the level 8 15s and 35" MT/Rs on a white JK. I love them so far, I have put about 10k on them.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Rock God

Separating will open the door to more buyers for the tires. Both on other vehicles (different lug pattern) and for those who don't really want to pay for new/used wheels.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

Like -Slade- said, separating will get them gone faster. If you want to sell both the rims and the tires, separating them might get you a little more money for them too, since a lot of people expect to get a package deal type of thing when you're selling them together.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #6 of 11 Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the replies guys.

Guess I'm torn between wanting something different than what I have now vs keeping what I have and using the $ saved on new wheels to pay for new front drive shaft. After seeing Sixstring's photos I may just mount the 35s on my current wheels. I can always plasti dip them if at some point I feel the need for black wheels. They definitely look better with the taller 35 tires.

My only worry in selling the tires separate is not many guys are running 15 inch tires anymore, so by selling the tires already mounted to wheels it'd make it easier for someone moving up from a stock Jeep to pull the trigger. Of course, the other side of the argument is that by including the wheels I'd then be limiting the sale to newer Jeeps with the 5x5 bolt pattern. Decisions, decisions.

Hey Sixstring, I don't suppose you have a photo of your Jeep from the side showing the Level 8s and 35s that you'd like to share?
post #7 of 11 Old 09-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post
Hey Sixstring, I don't suppose you have a photo of your Jeep from the side showing the Level 8s and 35s that you'd like to share?
I'll post some after work today

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Granite Guru

post #9 of 11 Old 09-20-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks sixstring.

Looks like you blacked out the center cap? I was thinking about something like that as I don't really care for the fake carbon fiber and bright chrome center cap on those wheels. May try running them without the center caps just to change things up.

Last edited by soonerfan85; 09-20-2014 at 08:08 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 PM
JKO Addict!

I always separate them for sale, more potential buyers.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post
Thanks sixstring.

Looks like you blacked out the center cap? I was thinking about something like that as I don't really care for the fake carbon fiber and bright chrome center cap on those wheels. May try running them without the center caps just to change things up.
I used plasti dip for the centers. I tried painting the whole center cap and running without the caps but neither way looked right IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode