Spring Lift or Hocky Puck Lif - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Spring Lift or Hocky Puck Lif

We are looking to do a 2" lift sometime in the near future. I am sure this has been kicked around. But I am looking for what options with the pros and cons between the 2 different styles of lift (what changes do I need to make to the ride geometry)

At sometime in the future, will upgrade to tube fenders and maybe 35" tires.

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

www.militaryjeepers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
We are looking to do a 2" lift sometime in the near future. I am sure this has been kicked around. But I am looking for what options with the pros and cons between the 2 different styles of lift (what changes do I need to make to the ride geometry)

I installed 2" puck kit from Black Diamond. I run 33s but have room for 35s. I stuck with the pucks to maintain the ride and other factory components.

Jeep is gone
post #3 of 10 Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to rerard2 Send a message via Yahoo to rerard2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post

Another option is to get springs from a 4-door, that will probably be cheaper than a BB or other lift but from what I have read you will only get about 1.5" lift. Unfortunately I can't speak from experience here but I do have the springs in my garage and plan to install them in my 2dr within the next few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerard2 View Post
Another option is to get springs from a 4-door, that will probably be cheaper than a BB or other lift but from what I have read you will only get about 1.5" lift. Unfortunately I can't speak from experience here but I do have the springs in my garage and plan to install them in my 2dr within the next few weeks.
I have springs from an Unlimited to compensate for the bumpers and winch; I'm running 33's.
They don't "lift" the Jeep in this case but do give the right spring rate for the added weight.
My back tires rub the fenders at full-stuff.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #5 of 10 Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Rock God

Personally, I will always think that a spring lift will be superior to a spacer lift. A spring lift gives you more spring to extend and compress and is probably going to travel better. Most spring lifts also include a heavier spring rate to help with those heavier bumpers and such as well.

Not to say that spacer lifts are bad, I run one in my WJ right now. If they suit your needs at the time, they're fine. Usually I'd say they're chosen because of their low cost.

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
JKowners Vendor

x2. Aftermarket springs are generally better quality and durability than the factory springs. Plus they give you a longer range of travel if articulation capability is important for your wheeling needs (i.e. rocks and ruts).

Geometry doesn't change, but you want to make sure you have the right components to compensate for the longer travel: longer shocks (whereas factory shocks with or without extensions are fine on spacer lifts), track bar relocation--you want a rear track bar relocator that mounts to the axle/driver side, NOT the frame/passenger side (there is a fine line between the 2 and 2.5" lifts as to when you actually NEED any track bar relocators, but you are MORE likely to need one with a full spring lift).

If you just want the lift to fit bigger tires, and you only do occasional easy trails, just get the spacer lift. Actually, we run our spacer lifts pretty hard, too, though.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #7 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

bump

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #8 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

the info you already got was very good!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #9 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Rock God

I'd go spring lift and at the size of 2" you got the majority of the info you need. Jeep school has a good descript of what you would need. The overall quality difference is pretty significant from the stock shock and springs. I went 2 1/2" bb from teraflex at first but they didn't have there spring kit yet. I would of went that route if it was available.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
I have springs from an Unlimited to compensate for the bumpers and winch; I'm running 33's.
They don't "lift" the Jeep in this case but do give the right spring rate for the added weight.
My back tires rub the fenders at full-stuff.

Sorry for the hi-jack - Is this durhamtown. If so that is atv wash rack not for jeeps..
They got us on that this weekend.

My 2c, go with the coil lift. I am running the TF 2.5 coil lift and a friend has the pucks. We basically have the same setup otherwise, both 2dr, same tires etc. Mine rides better (although could be trackbar related). I got behind the wheel of his, he drive mine this weekend just to test this.
His steering feels loose compared to mine. There is not much difference with the type of wheeling we do but if we were running the harder I'm sure the coil lift would outperform the pucks.

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode