what happened to the "Wrangler Wave" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

what happened to the "Wrangler Wave"

Sorry if this has been posted allready i dident see any thing about it.
but any way when i got my first jeep 10 years ago (95 yj) every jeep i seen waved at me i waved back and i thought it was the coolest thing ever. now i have a new jeep 08 4 door and when i wave every one looks at me like who the hell are you. so has the wave died off or what. well me being a jeep onwer for 10 years i will always wave at the jeeps i see.

08 4 door
Poison spyder body armor Woods muffler/evap relocation kit
Benchmark dual battery tray Superchips tuner
95 yj 4 in lift 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I give every Jeep that I see the wave. I get a wave back from almost every TJ, YJ, CJ that I see. But the JK is a different deal. About every 2 door will reply. Every built JK will reply. But very few stock 4 door will reply. Some of them are minivan people I guess. The 4 door (and I dig the 4D) has brought lots of new people into our family. Not all of them know about the 'cult like' Jeep wave. But I keep trying

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 47 Old 01-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

My Stock 08 Rubi Unlimited didn't get alot of waves from the older Jeeps. Lift Kit & 35's and now I get the wave quite often!

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
My Stock 08 Rubi Unlimited didn't get alot of waves from the older Jeeps. Lift Kit & 35's and now I get the wave quite often!
Yeah, I wave at every built Jeep. Get pretty much 100% wave back from them.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #5 of 47 Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Wheeler

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BLACKJK View Post
but any way when i got my first jeep 10 years ago (95 yj) every jeep i seen waved at me i waved back and i thought it was the coolest thing ever. now i have a new jeep 08 4 door and when i wave every one looks at me like who the hell are you. so has the wave died off or what. well me being a jeep onwer for 10 years i will always wave at the jeeps i see.
ditto, got my first jeep a yj 15 years ago, i had my tj for 10 years and i bought my jk late last year i wave at every jeep i see and i get very few waves back as long as i own a jeep i'll keep waving

jeep
post #6 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 AM
Granite Guru

yeah, it sucks... It's about 50/50 here in Jersey anymore... I stopped waving at most Unlimiteds that are not built as most are soccer moms & have no idea why anyone waves... Saddest thing I've seen so far was just the other day, an older woman, probably late 50's early 60's, in her fur coat, stupid bug eye sunglasses & pearls, driving an Unlimited... I think it actually had a sad look in it's headlights when I drove past with my JK covered in mud...

Boomer (aka Chris)
'07 X 2Dr, Steel Blue Metallic

2.5" BB, Black wheels & 33's...
post #7 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I give every Jeep that I see the wave. I get a wave back from almost every TJ, YJ, CJ that I see. But the JK is a different deal. About every 2 door will reply. Every built JK will reply. But very few stock 4 door will reply. Some of them are minivan people I guess. The 4 door (and I dig the 4D) has brought lots of new people into our family. Not all of them know about the 'cult like' Jeep wave. But I keep trying
QFT!

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #8 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ight=jeep+wave

Here are a few that come up on search... the wave is not dead, just mod your rig and the older jeeps will respect you.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #9 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

We (Wife and I) either wave or flash high beams at almost every Wrangler (stock or mod) we see as well as some Cherokee's.
post #10 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
My Stock 08 Unlimited didn't get alot of waves from the older Jeeps. Lift Kit & 35's and now I get the wave quite often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaverse View Post

the wave is not dead, just mod your rig and the older jeeps will respect you.
Seriously, the above mentioned seems to be the case. I didn't get many waves till I lifted, added 35's and threw on other noticable mod's.

One thing I noticed Around here atleast, is that the "soccer mom's" don't wave and neither do the older (retired) people.
Also, like TEXASKEV stated, the stock 4 doors aren't waving much either.

Kinda funny thing happened to me a week or so ago. I waved at an older Cherokee that had a bit of a lift and some mod's done to it, as he was making a turn in front of me. The guy looked stunned, did a double take and returned the wave. I guess he thought that maybe I didn't see his return wave, cuz he rolled down his window, stuck his arm out and waved at me again.
.. here's to that guy!!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
post #11 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Granite Guru

Around here (central southern Michigan) I get a wave back from about 75-80% of other Jeeps. The biggest offenders of not waving don't seem to be the Unlimited crowd (I actually get a high % waves back regardless of gender) but rather second generation YJ owners that have the Jeep either as a hand me down or bought them used as their first car. Parents and sellers need to explain this stuff!
post #12 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
x2! gotta keep trying
post #13 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
the wave is not dead, just mod your rig and the older jeeps will respect you.
mine is stock cept for front bumper and i get waves from older jeeps more often than the jk's in my area

the wave should be put in the owners manual imo, or a sticker inside the jeep

Chris
-----------------------
'09 Rubicon 2dr, Silver
post #14 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This^^^

Here is a link to the Official Rules of "The Jeep Wave" http://www.jeepboard.com/jeepwave/index.html#rules

It is pretty funny and true.

Quote:
Here are a few that come up on search... the wave is not dead, just mod your rig and the older jeeps will respect you.
lolz, yeah "what happened to the search function?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad View Post
Seriously, the above mentioned seems to be the case. I didn't get many waves till I lifted, added 35's and threw on other noticable mod's.

One thing I noticed Around here atleast, is that the "soccer mom's" don't wave and neither do the older (retired) people.
Also, like TEXASKEV stated, the stock 4 doors aren't waving much either.

Kinda funny thing happened to me a week or so ago. I waved at an older Cherokee that had a bit of a lift and some mod's done to it, as he was making a turn in front of me. The guy looked stunned, did a double take and returned the wave. I guess he thought that maybe I didn't see his return wave, cuz he rolled down his window, stuck his arm out and waved at me again.
.. here's to that guy!!
That's a great story, really cool!

We're still workin' on 'em

Here's my take on it againVVVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
If you are still stock like us, you do get the intentional cold shoulder from time to time but don't let it bother you. I say just keep waving. I have gotten wave backs from many local TJ, YJ, etc. guys from persistence. And some always waved from day one.

I forget and do it in the Monte Carlo, 15% waveback and a lot of strange looks.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
So true, one of the best times we had for cool waves was on a divided highway going to visit family near Huntsville. Freedom panels out waving out the top to every Jeep that passed. 100% wave return for forty plus miles.

As far as the 4-door syndrome. A lot (us included) are first time Jeep owners. A lot of them just bought it because it's the next cool SUV. Some of those will eventually get it, some never will and they will just trade it away when the next fad comes along.

Oh and welcome to the JK Club ........waves profusely

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #15 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm headed to Dayton now, I'll wave if I see ya.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #16 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 08:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

I'm the second to chime from Jersey and I always, as does my wife, wave and usually get a wave back, only a few snobby JK's around that haven't gotten it. Most do wave though

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #17 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Rock God

Everyone waves back at me. Maybe you just have a bunch of Assholes in your area. Try waving at them like this.

post #18 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BLACKJK View Post

Didn't see anything about it? That's the funniest thing I've seen posted yet!
post #19 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 AM
JKO Addict!

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #20 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Rock God

I would say that alot of JK owners are not "Jeep People"

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
post #21 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ Warrior View Post
I would say that alot of JK owners are not "Jeep People"
I'd say you can expand that further to a majority of "Jeep" owners arent "Jeep People".. but they are the ones that supply the rest of us with vehicles and replacement parts for years to come... think how many JK will enter the used market having never seen dirt let alone been offroad.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #22 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Granite Guru

It's alive and well in my neck of the woods...even my mom waves.

Of course, she's been pimpin the 2 door CJs and Wranglers for 25 years

What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, honorably discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
post #23 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Rock God

I am very proud to say the Jeep Wave is very much alive in Montgomery County PA, just outside Philadelphia. I certainly do not expect to get waves from everyone in a Wrangler, but I get waves from about 80 percent of the ones I pass or see.

A guy on my street one day just started waving at me everytime he saw my Jeep. For two weeks straigt I'm wondering if this guy just thinks I am cute or something. Then one day,I noticed he purchased a 2005/6 Jeep Rubicon. I thought that explains it then..he was just waiting to get it.
post #24 of 47 Old 01-19-2010, 03:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I say keep waving to them all. I know I sure in the hell didn't know about the "wave" back when I bought my TJ. Finally after about the 4th or 5th time giving myself whiplash tryin to figure out who the hell that was and why are they waving at me, I started waving back to people. Besides you never know, one of those Soccer Moms might be a divorcee waiting to be the next Dirty Jeep Girl you meet!

Last edited by Loki646; 01-19-2010 at 03:10 AM.
post #25 of 47 Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Rock God

It's hit or miss around my area. Most of the newer Jeep's don't do the wave. It seems older folks, no matter what Jeep they're in do the way. XJ, TJ, CJ, JK. Modded TJ's and JK's do it more often than not...

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
...and tell your friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode