New & Need Direction - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

New & Need Direction

Good Morning,

I am new to this and need some feedback, I've not been the driver on any trail riding and want the best setup so that what I don't know about the ins and outs of trail riding my setup will help compensate for so I can learn without (hopefully) ending in a "I think I messed up my Jeep" horror story. I just purchased a 2014 Wrangler Sport 2 Door manual trans, nothing has been done to it yet except removing the doors (and let me tell you I was super excited about that - if that tells you anything about how new at this I am). I am looking at 2 options for suspension, the RK 2.5X Factor System with RRD Remote Reservoir Shock Package or the Metalcloak 2.5 Game Changer with the 6Pak Shocks. Looking for some outside opinions, from speaking with other owners in my area my local shop sells lots of Rough Country lifts; I had a 3" rough country on my 2010 Silverado and wasn't overly pleased with the handling. Any feedback would be great, my apologies in advance for my newness - if I've missed any important info that you need to chime-in let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Rock God

Upgrade the headlights first. Search "headlight shoot out".
Then take the Jeep offroad and see what you need more of for your type of terrain (articulation for rocks, tire traction and height for mud...) Both the RK and MC lifts are great packages but that's a lot of money to spend before you know what you're getting into. Think about what size tires you want as that will also guide your lift requirements.
I've run the RC budget boost for 3 years with a set of 33" all terrains and have a great time.
Wheel it, figure out what you're lacking, upgrade, repeat.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't waste a buch of money on a suspension.
If you are new and never have trailed the jeep a lift is really going to do nothing for you unless you are looking to fit larger tires. It is not going to make your jeep more capable or easier to drive off road.

Go out and drive it in its stock configurations, go on some group runs and watch more experienced drivers and how they attack obsticals and pick lines. Ask questions and look at what others have done to their jeeps. Look past the jeeps with all the led lights and bling as I find they are generally set up poorly and are just concerned about a look.

Once your driving skills develop you will see what you will need to do to your jeep so you can do more advanced trails.

Jumping into something like a Metal cloak game changer lift is a total waste of money and is built for a massive travel LCOG rig which while being a nice set up is not for the new off road driver.

Good luck with the build.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
If you are new and never have trailed the jeep a lift is really going to do nothing for you unless you are looking to fit larger tires. It is not going to make your jeep more capable or easier to drive off road.

Go out and drive it in its stock configurations, go on some group runs and watch more experienced drivers and how they attack obsticals and pick lines. Ask questions and look at what others have done to their jeeps. Look past the jeeps with all the led lights and bling as I find they are generally set up poorly and are just concerned about a look.

Once your driving skills develop you will see what you will need to do to your jeep so you can do more advanced trails.

Jumping into something like a Metal cloak game changer lift is a total waste of money and is built for a massive travel LCOG rig which while being a nice set up is not for the new off road driver.

Solid advice.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #5 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Rock God

I would look at addressing some of the weak points before lifting. At the very least I would want rocker-guard/sliders before I did any serious wheeling.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 01:48 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:

^ This.

You will learn so much more about that Jeep and where you actually want to go with your build by armoring up the rocker panels (even if you buy some take off Rubicon rails for $100) and going out and getting dirty.

Go have fun and devise a plan before you throw a ton of money at it.

If that's not your style and you don't want to take that path, the RK 2.5 X-Factor is a great system and I've run it on two of my 2 doors now with great results on 35s and 37s.

Remote reservoir shocks are cool, but they won't do a dang thing for you unless you're going really fast for long periods of time in very rough terrain. Otherwise, they are bling. If you want bling then go for it, they are very cool!

If you want to chat about the build or have questions I'm always available at the number below.

Marcus

post #7 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

/thread

There isn't really anything else I can add other than take your time. Great thing about Jeeps is that once you have a Jeep, making friends with Jeeps isn't that hard. Search a little bit and there is probably some sort of offroad/Jeep group in your area. Get involved with one of them. They can show you trails and get you out and comfortable with your new Jeep. A lot of clubs will hold monthly or regular events. I know my local club holds them pretty regularly during the summer (Actually, the last one was last weekend.) and they had trails ranging from a casual drive offroad with little washouts and stuff (almost zero damage of even scratching it, unless you're stupid) to hard trails that not everybody qualified for (mine, with 33" tires, two lockers and stuff, barely did)

As of right now, that Jeep is more capable than you are. Don't worry about that cause we've all been there.

Some of the most fun I've had on trails have been when my Jeep was bone stock. Everything was new and I was just super stoked to be out, in my Jeep, off pavement. As I learned how it worked and I started reaching the limitations of the Jeep, not me, that's when I decided to lift it.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #8 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback, I was concerned about hitting the trails without the lift but after reading your posts I went and hit one this evening and was suprised at the capability. I still look forward to getting the suspension but it is nice to know that I haven't given my Jeep enough credit for it's capability in it's stock state. Can't wait to get out and try some more difficult stuff! I am making the rocker guard and sliders a priority (thanks for that recommendation!). Thanks again!
post #9 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajarpmmtkg View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, I was concerned about hitting the trails without the lift but after reading your posts I went and hit one this evening and was suprised at the capability. I still look forward to getting the suspension but it is nice to know that I haven't given my Jeep enough credit for it's capability in it's stock state. Can't wait to get out and try some more difficult stuff! I am making the rocker guard and sliders a priority (thanks for that recommendation!). Thanks again!
Wait, what... Someone that asks for advice actually takes said advice? Very peculiar.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 09:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Most people don't think a stock jeep can run down a dirt road. They buy one and for some reason think they need to throw a 4" lift on it or I am new to jeeps what does it take to run 40's?

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #11 of 11 Old 09-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

Good advice above on running your new Jeep stock for a while. It'll give you a much better idea of what areas you need to address down the road for your particular use. It's easy to start dumping a lot of money in your ride only to later realize it wasn't well spent. If you're familiar with nutinfancy (Spelling ?) on youtube you can work up a checklist like he does when reviewing a firearm. Begin with Philosophy Of Use, which can be different for many Jeepers. Just be honest with yourself and remember that weight is the enemy of a Jeep. Since yours is a 2 door it won't be as much an issue for you as us JKU guys, but aftermarket bumpers, winches, armor etc. all add up and slow you down.

Too bad you're not closer to Arkansas. I'm fixin to sell of my 33" tires and wheels, TF BB, Rubicon coils, shocks and rock rails off my 2014 JKU. Buying used from someone upgrading from a budget boost is a great way to gain a couple of inches in clearance and not send your bank account into shock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode