grinding noise - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-15-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

grinding noise

i just got a 2008 jeep jk and resently it started making a grinding noise from the rear but only at about 20 to 35 mph , anyone know what the issue may be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

"Grinding" is kinda subject to interpretation and maybe mine's the wrong one, but maybe bearings?

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 AM
Granite Guru

Usually with bearings I get a clicking noise, I've had that with both wheel bearings and ujoints. I always replace them before it gets worse. As for a grinding noise, could be wheel bearings I guess if they are that far gone. Could also be your ring and pinion gears. Might even be something in your transmission. Or a bad brake pad that is touching the rotor.

Need to try and figure out where the sound is coming from honestly or start poking around to see if you find something that looks wrong. lots of moving parts that could make a noise if they are not maintained or somehow got damaged. Regardless, if you're not mechanically inclined (not saying you're not) then you might as well take to a shop and let them figure it out...save yourself a lot of hassle in repairing the wrong thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Rock God

does the noise "change" when you apply the brake?

does it increase with RPM? Does it change with engine speed or road speed?

Have you changed your gear lube recently in the differential?

any other changes/repairs you have done or had done recently?

metallic grinding or rubbing on plastic sound?

have someone walk beside the vehicle while you slowly drive to try and narrow down it's location.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

I would pull the diff cover off and check to see if there is and flakes or chucks of metal, I had a rear in go out in another jeep of mine that made a "grinding" noise and then few days later going down the freeway, blew the rear end. The sound was from the pinion bearing.

But deff would pull the diff off. Or shop like stated above!

OIF
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks

thank you to all ... i have set my jeep up on stands and have inspected the rear brakes didnt find much just a few metal shavings but couldnt pin point the noise ... next i will be checking the diff ... on a different topic what would be a good tunner for my jk i need better mpg
post #7 of 8 Old 09-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

i know when i find shavings or flakes, i get paranoid and anal trying to find where they came from. like they said, pull the diff..

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

Did you pull the rotor off to inspect the parking brake? The parking brake in the JK's kinda sucks.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode