Chrysler won't pay because of my 33"s - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Chrysler won't pay because of my 33"s

So I took my 12 2Dr to the dealer to have it looked at for a noise I have. Got a call a few hours later saying they can't work on it because chrysler won't pay the warrenty because my 33"s aren't the stock size. Complete bullshit.

2017 JKU Willys Wheeler w/ Mopar Half Doors
Granite Metallic
JCR Stubby Mauler Front Bumper w/skid plate
JCR Crusauder Mid Width Rear Bumper
SuperWinch LP8500
ACE Engineering Rock Sliders
Rough Country 3in LED Fog Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Rock God

They have to prove the bigger tires were at fault for the damage... which will be very hard for them because their Rubi tires are just a tad smaller than 33s.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Rock God

you need to find a new dealer.. dealer around here sells jks with 35s and has no problem doing warranty work on them. thats not cool they gave you that excuse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Granite Guru

This shouldn't be a huge surprise. You can fight it and probably win but it will be a pita. Your best bet is to find a mod friendly dealer. Talk with locals or post up in one of JKO's regional subforums and ask.
post #5 of 32 Old 09-15-2014, 05:56 PM
CalmerThanYouAre

Dealership playing games, a bunch of horse shit. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Wheeler

Agreed with everyone else here---Its the dealership playing games and NOT Chrysler. Dollars to doughnuts the dealership hasn't even talked to Chrysler...

I (and I believe most of Pirate) loves seeing dealers loose business for shitty practices like this----what dealer was it so we (the jeep community) can all take our business elsewhere?

To give you a frame of reference about how much bullshit that dealer is playing with you----My old 2008 JK sport had a RK Long Arm (requires cutting/welding brackets, axle truss etc..) and the underside was beat all to hell....... Airpark STILL did work on it without question....

What you could do.... Take pictures with a tape measure across your 33" tire (hint: it wont be an actual 33"---probably more like 32 or a little less even).. .then find a Rubicon on THEIR lot---and do the same thing. The pics are probably going to be really really really close.... Take those pics and the dealers written response---send to Chrysler and post all up on here. If the dealer is a "5 Star" dealer----they will quickly have their asses handed to them by Chrysler---especially if they have told you they spoke with chrysler and they haven't even called (which is what they are doing).

I used to be about playing "friendly" with people----now I'm all about a scorched earth policy. Or maybe I just need more coffee this morning....
post #7 of 32 Old 09-16-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It's Lee Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Crestview, Fl 32539. I am TDY right now so I can't do too much till I get back but I know my tires measure at 32" even. I am gonna contact a different dealer when I get back

Granite Metallic
SuperWinch LP8500
post #8 of 32 Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodhands View Post
So I took my 12 2Dr to the dealer to have it looked at for a noise I have. Got a call a few hours later saying they can't work on it because chrysler won't pay the warrenty because my 33"s aren't the stock size. Complete bullshit.
So what is this noise and do you have an idea where it's coming from
post #9 of 32 Old 09-17-2014, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It's a metallic clinging noise that happens very sporadically when taking off in first or reverse. My buddy climbing under while I had it up on jack stands and says it sounded like it was coming from the transfer case

Granite Metallic
SuperWinch LP8500
post #10 of 32 Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Chrysler will most DEFINITELY pay, the dealer just wants to charge you retail. I'd find another dealer, and contact the Chrysler Customer Center to complain about dealer #1.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #11 of 32 Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'd call Chrysler and file a complaint against the dealer. I'd tell the dealer to produce documentation that proves their statement as well as the tires causing the noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #12 of 32 Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Rock God

agree with all above.

when I bought my Jeep I had the dealer write on the purchase agreement that it was ok to install larger tires. they did without question.

there is another dealer here that sells and installs lifts and wheel/tire packages. they warranty up to 37" tires.
post #13 of 32 Old 09-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Granite Guru

Agreed. Dealer trying to get you to pay more than what they could charge under warranty work. If another dealer is close try someone else. If not, give them a lecture on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 that states that they have to prove the modification caused the problem versus you having to prove it didn't.

Good luck and hopefully there is a better dealer nearby.
post #14 of 32 Old 09-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Make sure you let those fuckers at Lee Chrysler Dodge Jeep that you dropped their name on the JKO forum and other JK forums about their lack of customer service.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #15 of 32 Old 09-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Granite Guru

Good luck bro with your problem. It's a shame they're treating you, and the other customers this way. I'm with everybody else on contacting Chrysler and letting them know how you were treated (lied to). It'll eventually come back to haunt them.
post #16 of 32 Old 09-17-2014, 08:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Your dealer sucks. I pulled into the Reno Jeep dealership after moving here and they put in a new clock spring no questions asked under warrantee. I only have a couple of mods on my jeep.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link

Last edited by thedirtman; 09-25-2015 at 10:42 AM.
post #17 of 32 Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Rock God

looks like they stripped your ride for parts while you were there. LOL
post #18 of 32 Old 09-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Your dealer sucks. I pulled into the Reno Jeep dealership after moving here and they put in a new clock spring no questions asked under warrantee. I only have a couple of mods on my jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
looks like they stripped your ride for parts while you were there. LOL

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
post #19 of 32 Old 09-29-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

After speaking with Chrysler they said that the dealership that at the very least they should diagnose it and if it turns out to be the oversized tires than the warrenty won't pay to fix it. She tried finding me a dealership nearby and we ended up going back to the same dealership that I had originally talked to. Me and the Chrysler representative spoke to the dealership and she explained things but once she hung up the dealership went back to saying that they won't even look at it with larger than stock tires and my only option is to get a set of OEMs. The other jeep dealership nearby is also owned by Lee and they said the same thing. The lady I spoke to there listened to the scenario about the tires and said it should be fine but after asking her boss was surprised when they said the same thing. So F*CK Lee Chrysler Dodge Jeeps near Eglin AFB.

Granite Metallic
SuperWinch LP8500
post #20 of 32 Old 09-29-2014, 05:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Me and the Chrysler representative spoke
First, you should have paid more attention in English class.

Second, contact the general manager of the dealership in writing (for God sakes, get someone to proof read it). Attach a copy of the Magnusun Moss Warranty Act. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

I would also let them know that you plan to tell everyone at Eglin about their policy which even Chrysler says is wrong.

Find another dealer and take it there. Yes, you might actually have to travel a few miles.

Quote:
Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 09-29-2014 at 05:42 PM.
post #21 of 32 Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

33's aren't much different from stock! How can they harm a stock drive train? No offense, but it's not like the are 37's or larger. There should be no fowl, no harm especially since some dealers offer lifts with 35's. Oh yea, this has been to court many times and the Manufacture always comes out behind!

Fight them or find a new dealer!
post #22 of 32 Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Granite Guru

Not to be like anger Red Bird Turd, I'll add this to my above post.

When I finally get my Ford Super Duty axes under my JKU with a Cummins engine and Chevy transmission, I'll come up, pick you up and we'll go to the dealer and FUCK with them about some bullshit complaint!

Oh yea, the 37's are gone and there will be 40's on those Ford axels, how bout we get a group to go!
post #23 of 32 Old 09-29-2014, 09:57 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Jeep View Post
When I finally get my Ford Super Duty axes under my JKU with a Cummins engine and Chevy transmission, I'll come up, pick you up and we'll go to the dealer and FUCK with them about some bullshit complaint!
Record that shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #24 of 32 Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Another thought ...

Check the service lot of the customer's cars. Find some that don't have the original size tires and/or rims and take pictures.

Such bullshit. I had my JKR in for warranty last week (oil pressure switch) and the only thing the service guys said was "damn that Jeep looks good".

, Granite,
post #25 of 32 Old 09-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Wheeler

Not much to add here, except ....

.... Chrysler, out of all manufacturers I've run across, seems *really* eager to sell people extended warranties and various maintenance plans.

They're still about the ONLY brand I'm aware of that offers a *lifetime, unlimited mileage* extended warranty option (even with as little as a $0 deductible per claim if you want to pay the price for it!).

Now, if it turns out buying these is a waste because of dealerships who want to void out every possible claim? Well then -- I guess Chrysler has a real problem making money via that revenue stream. Word will get out and people will quit buying them.

Especially on a Jeep, dealerships need to face that facts that MUCH of the target audience buys them with intentions of modifying them. The whole design encourages the practice (removable doors and multiple tops sold right off the lot as one of the option packages, etc.). Supposedly, the extended Chrysler warranties also cover all MOPAR branded modifications installed on a Jeep -- so again, the premise is that modding a Jeep is ok.

If you're done something really extreme and then what breaks is clearly broken because of the drastic change you made -- fine. But Jeeps go around with much larger tires than stock ALL the time. Your tire size should definitely not even be a factor here. (EG. If going an inch or so larger than stock DID cause something to fail -- it was a weak part to begin with that would have eventually failed on a stock tire size too.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode