Which shocks are the best - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Which shocks are the best

I kam not looking for the very top of the line shocks but I am looking for ones that will hold up and do the job. I have a 3.5 inch lift. Front and rear aftermarket bumpers and running 35's.

Wanted to see what you guys run? What your thoughts are?

Thanks!!!

Current: 2013 4dr LS3 Rubicon

Sold:2011 2 dr Sahara Tan Rubicon
3 inch Rough Country lift
JKS front adjustable track bar
35x12.5x17 General Grabbers on Stock Rims

RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 2007 Black 4 Door~ Herculiner Tub~4" Rough Country Lift~ 35's BFG KO's on 15" D Windows~4.88's w/aussie front locker~ACE Rock Sliders~RK adjustable front track bar

SEMPER FI~Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!

You are going to get about 10 difference answers, most from people that don't even know how to set up a suspension properly or how to choose shocks. They just run with the heard.

You are going to hear how good bilstien 5100's, rancho 9500's, OME Nitro sport, Fox, profender, king, sway away and people will even tell you to find some Rubi take offs. You will hear on guy say the 5100's are stiff and then two post later another guy will post how soft the 5100's are. All these types of post do is add confusion to the OP.

The best shocks are going to be the ones that fit your needs and your budget. Posting a vague post asking "the best" will get you nowhere. Do some searching and research and you will be able to pick the shocks that are best for you.

When asking these type of questions it helps if you provide as much information as you can about mods you have on your jeep and what you expect to get out the product you are researching.

Good luck with your build.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #3 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Granite Guru

Try to attend a local meet and greet. Talk to people about their setup and maybe take a ride or actually drive a jeep similar to what you are planning to build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj jk View Post
Try to attend a local meet and greet. Talk to people about their setup and maybe take a ride or actually drive a jeep similar to what you are planning to build.
^^^ That right there is the best advice. ^^^

I learned the hard way by blindly following the recommendations of the fans of the Bilstein 5100s - I hated the stiff ride, so I replaced them with adjustable Rancho RS9000s so I could select what kind of ride quality and damping effectiveness I preferred for any given terrain.

: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
post #5 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 12:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
You are going to get about 10 difference answers, most from people that don't even know how to set up a suspension properly or how to choose shocks. They just run with the heard.

You are going to hear how good bilstien 5100's, rancho 9500's, OME Nitro sport, Fox, profender, king, sway away and people will even tell you to find some Rubi take offs. You will hear on guy say the 5100's are stiff and then two post later another guy will post how soft the 5100's are. All these types of post do is add confusion to the OP.

The best shocks are going to be the ones that fit your needs and your budget. Posting a vague post asking "the best" will get you nowhere. Do some searching and research and you will be able to pick the shocks that are best for you.

When asking these type of questions it helps if you provide as much information as you can about mods you have on your jeep and what you expect to get out the product you are researching.

Good luck with your build.

Lol

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 12:22 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

The correct answer is Yellow.

Dirtman knows his shit, but if your looking for a good shock to work with a basic mid or short arm kit you should be able to get a set of Rancho's RS9000xl's. They provide good travel, are adjustable and have a lifetime warranty.

You can consider me one of the people that don't even know how to set up a suspension properly or choose a shock, but I'm pretty happy with my setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #7 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Well IMO there's a difference In asking "what is the best shock" and "what shock do you all like the best"

Me ... I run the 9000's currently. I like them very much. Are they the best shock .. For the $$$ yes. Quality/performance .. There's better.
They work well for ME and that's what matters.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #8 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I guess I was really asking what everyone runs, What they like or dislike and then go from there. I was thinking between bilstien 5100's, rancho's. I have a rough country lift and the shocks are bad. How do I know they are bad you ask? Its because they are leaking. I thank you guys for your input

RIP
: 2007 Black 4 Door~ Herculiner Tub~4" Rough Country Lift~ 35's BFG KO's on 15" D Windows~4.88's w/aussie front locker~ACE Rock Sliders~RK adjustable front track bar

SEMPER FI~Jesse
post #9 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Random Dude

These guys ^^^ are all wrong.
You need parabolic tapered dual-monotube dampers with triple reverberating bypass sphincters and, this part is important, don't forget the unobtanium dicheesletride coating on the shock shafts to eliminate dynamic stiction in compressive rebound events during static motion dynamics or immobile oscillations.

. . . hopefully, you saw that for the bullshit that it is.

These guys are all giving you good advice and feedback (so I had to be the combo-breaker .)

Shocks are really subjective. Do you like a firmer ride or a more plush ride?

I love the same Bilsteins on my JK that RockMolester hates on his, and we're both right (but mostly me ).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Granite Guru

Fox Shox are the best IMO. Ive been running them and have zero complaints, daily commute and wheeling. Got mine from Poly. But again just my opinion or

OIF
post #11 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Rock God

Like has been said an adjustable shock like the Rancho 9000s will work well for most applications as you can custom taylor the damping of the shock by just turning a knob on the shock no tools or nitrogen needed to tune the shock. The 9000s are a hydro shock so do not have a nitrogen charge like fox, king, bilstein, etc but for many this lack of a nitrogen charge means a softer ride especially onroad where most JKs spend the majority of their time anyway.
For a hardcore wheeler a fully adjustable nitrogen charged shock like fox, king, etc may be a good choice but the cost of those shocks is very high compared to shocks like the Rancho 9000s.

Also coils matter when choosing shocks. IMHO A firmer coil will ride best with a softer shock but a soft coil will ride best with a firmer shock. If you do a firm shock and coil combo you will be bouncing all over the place but by the same token if you with a soft shock and soft coil it will float too much (think old Caddy with worn out shocks) and not have a lot of control throughout the suspension travel which means handling will be loose and crappy.

RK 2.5 Triple Rate Coils, MC control arms, 40" Trail Grapplers.

Last edited by Terminator2; 09-15-2014 at 01:50 PM.
post #12 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I am running Rough Country Springs right now. But would like to change to a RK kit soon. Right now the way it sits, when I hit a bump it is bouncing alot and going all over

RIP

SEMPER FI~Jesse
post #13 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 02:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Def sound like shocks.

Rancho is doing their buy 3 get one free rebate now.
$250 or so for 4 shocks is a steal.

post #14 of 38 Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

If we are in the running be aware of our rebate.
Good luck!

Edit:
KJ beat me by that much.
http://www.gorancho.com/promotions.php

post #15 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Rock God

I opted for RKs 2.0s. Haven't recieved them yet but from my reading they seem to be a great bang for the buck.

Their customer service is top notch as well

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #16 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Granite Guru

I like AEVs proprietary valved Bilsteins with THEIR springs. They might suck with someone elses springs or a lighter/heavier vehicle.
Savvy sells Fox shocks that are valved to work with their springs that I hear good things about but that is for the TJs. Unsure if they have a JK setup.
As others have said the adjustable Ranchos are a good shock for mix and match lifts.
post #17 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 01:09 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I just upgraded from pucks/stock springs/Rubi shocks to RK springs/Fox 2.0 Evo's. Huge difference in ride. People keep saying it's stiff. I call it controlled. Zero squat, very little dive, and no roll. It rides more "firm" than stock, but that is a good thing. Those Fox shocks are impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 09-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.
post #18 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Is this question about shocks? Or is it about the wussification of America? It starts out by telling the OP that the best shock is the one that works best for him, which is kind of like saying they're all winners. Like softball junior leagues where everyone gets a trophy. Then the next post tells him to join a support group. Come on folks. These are shocks we're talking about. And Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks with Teraflex valving work the best with Teraflex springs. With the OPs Rough Country springs, who knows what is going to work best. Maybe ask Rough Country, no, wait, don't do that.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #19 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 02:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
Is this question about shocks? Or is it about the wussification of America? It starts out by telling the OP that the best shock is the one that works best for him, which is kind of like saying they're all winners. Like softball junior leagues where everyone gets a trophy. Then the next post tells him to join a support group. Come on folks. These are shocks we're talking about. And Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks with Teraflex valving work the best with Teraflex springs. With the OPs Rough Country springs, who knows what is going to work best. Maybe ask Rough Country, no, wait, don't do that.

This was already covered btw

post #20 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I just upgraded from pucks/stock springs/Rubi shocks to RK springs/Fox 2.0 Evo's. Huge difference in ride. People keep saying it's stiff. I call it controlled. Zero squat, very little dive, and no roll. It rides more "firm" than stock, but that is a good thing. Those Fox shocks are impressive.
I feel the exact same way. I have RK 2.5" TR springs with the Fox shocks. Very impressed, and I'd give up stock ride for the one I have now, everytime...

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #21 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Is this question about shocks?
YES.

Or is it about the wussification of America?
NO.

It starts out by telling the OP that the best shock is the one that works best for him
YES. VERY TRUE. Different people want a different ride.
Try reading from left to right, top to bottom, through this thread.

which is kind of like saying they're all winners. Like softball junior leagues where everyone gets a trophy.
NO. Maybe in your head, but not here in the real world.

Then the next post tells him to join a support group.
NOT EXACTLY. Once again, try that reading thing.

Come on folks. These are shocks we're talking about.
This appears to be understood by the group, perfessur.

And Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks with Teraflex valving work the best with Teraflex springs.
SAYS YOU. Others may have a different experience. THIS SHIT IS SUBJECTIVE.
Bilsteins work great for me with my TF springs. I wouldn't change a thing.
RockMolester stated above that he did not like the same Bilsteins.
Everyone's not the same. Your dollar is your vote.

With the OPs Rough Country springs, who knows what is going to work best.
Hence OP's thread asking the question. <-- See how that works?

Maybe ask Rough Country, no, wait, don't do that.
AGREED. Glad you ended with a valid point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
This was already covered btw

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #22 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 05:33 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
the wussification of America? ........... Like softball junior leagues
oh the irony... started off like it was going to be a great rant filled post about the wussification of america... and a few words later you reference softball junior leagues ?

Im not even sure what that is, wether its an actual mens league or something you made up, or a womens league.. but over here in Murica.. men play baseball. THE FAWKIN American Pastime !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #23 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Rock God

LOL, so I'm the only one that thought this thread was funny then. The OP ask for the best shocks, and post 1 is "their all good", and post 2 is "join a support group". I thought that was funny as hell. I was just poking fun at you guys, no need to get all serious.

Anyway, I'm off to my support group. Gotta go.
post #24 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 PM
JKO Addict!

I think you misinterpreted my post. #2

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #25 of 38 Old 09-16-2014, 10:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Get whatever you can afford , we can tell you kings and all kind of good ones but if you can't afford it then its pointless

So how much are you willing to spend on your shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode