Change radio media type from steering wheel? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Change radio media type from steering wheel?

I installed a Galaxy tablet over my stock radio for use as my media deck. I have access to all regular radio functions, but not the physical buttons. I used the angry off-road mount.

Bluetooth works great when connected, but it always resets to radio and then connects to bluetooth when I push Aux. I even tried putting it in Aux before I start it, then slide it in, but when I start then it resets again. Well when I have the tablet mounted, I can't push Aux. I tried using voice connect but that always just ends uconnect when I tell it to use it.

My Acura let me cycle through radio, bluetooth, xm, etc from the steering wheel. I can't find any way to do this on my 12 sahara

My next way would be headphone jack wired, but that's an extra wire every time and removes the ability to skip tracks from the steering wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Wheeler

Granted, I have a '14, however, I can cycle through all functioning inputs by pressing the Input button (nub center of the volume controls, right side of steering wheel) and hit Bluetooth. You need to start "feeding" the radio and it'll go, easiest way i found and the primary reason I use BT with my HTC One is for my uber-awesome playlist of doom I keep loaded in it. I just press play and it'll force-feed to what it's connected to, which is only the jeep... and then I can select that as a functioning feed from the rotation.

Without doing the force-feed technique, it didn't seem to be willing to select bluetooth unless I tapped the aux button.

Maybe my technique is what is needed for your earlier model? I have the base stereo with connectivity kit, don't really know how it differs from what you have.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-13-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I've had it for two months and never noticed those buttons.

I wish it displayed the input type on the menu panel like it does when an Aux cable is plugged in, but at least now I can cycle through.

I don't love the thirty seconds or so before it connects, but that seems to just be how uconnect connects to it.

This should be enough to get me going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Wheeler

That's just the bluetooth delay between it pinging and actually connecting.

Left side controls: up/down scan channels/frequencies/tracks depending if you're on SAT/FM-AM/CD-Bluetooth connected, center button goes through presets for FM/AM/Sat.

Right side: Volume, and center button switches inputs.

It actually DOES display the input, at least BT/Sat/FM/AM if you checked it out before plopping your tablet on there. It'll even display what's playing track-wise, at least with my phone.

I'm jacking my phone into the USB for power on the go but it actually feeds via BT for music. Keeps things copacetic on the phone given running BT, GPS, data if necessary, etc. I just need to figure out placement for a phone holder so I can use GPS off of it more readily. That, and an extended usb cable so it could still stay plugged in and have the cable routed cleanly out of the way semi-permanently.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

It actually DOES display the input, at least BT/Sat/FM/AM if you checked it out before plopping your tablet on there. It'll even display what's playing track-wise, at least with my phone.
Yes, I just wish it displayed the media source in the main menu under the gauges. For now I'll just push the change source button enough times until i hear my tablet music.

I ran a long USB extension cord (cheap on amazon) from a 12v power adaptor in the center console, under the carpet up into the glove box and behind the radio. Then I had it mounted in my tablet mount so it docks when I slide it in. The console doesn't turn off with the key though, so I need to remember to unplug it or else it will drain the battery. I'm still trying to find out how I could switch that to being controlled by the ignition instead of always hot.

Are you using ios or android? I can recommend some good app launchers for each.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie526 View Post
Yes, I just wish it displayed the media source in the main menu under the gauges. For now I'll just push the change source button enough times until i hear my tablet music.
It doesn't display it there normally (dash panel) so I wouldn't expect it to do anything fancy like that otherwise... that's Grand Cherokee level BS Wrangler for a reason!!!

Quote:
I ran a long USB extension cord (cheap on amazon) from a 12v power adaptor in the center console, under the carpet up into the glove box and behind the radio. Then I had it mounted in my tablet mount so it docks when I slide it in. The console doesn't turn off with the key though, so I need to remember to unplug it or else it will drain the battery. I'm still trying to find out how I could switch that to being controlled by the ignition instead of always hot.

Are you using ios or android? I can recommend some good app launchers for each.
Since I've got the USB port and power that seems to feed my phone enough juice, I'll keep it there. I'll end up buying a longer cord and doing a dressed up cord run whenever I get the dash cubby replacement doohickey

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdet...productID=1277

I use Android... My HTC's got a "car" app i can run that makes big buttons, but I'm not overly concerned about it. I specifically don't even touch my phone driving, and the only application I really want is an integrated roads/topo mapping application that can be used offline (downloaded maps/sat imagery) so I can avoid having to worry about having to swap GPS between the 3 different rigs.

Music, I have covered... stock program is just fine for me, considering I have all my music actually ON the phone and significantly limit the data amount I use on the go.. as in, data is disabled unless I specifically need to look something up. Appreciate the offer though!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

That daystar mount looks great for your purpose. Definitely a lot less hassle than what I am dealing with. My USB port wasnt enough to power the tablet, so I had to use the 12v.

For anyone else who may read this, the best android launcher i found is SquareHome. It looks like Windows 8 and lets you customize it however you want. I have big buttons that open folders for GPS, Music, Places to go, Video Players, Email, etc.

Here's a pic of it all hooked up. The split screen with the new Galaxy tabs is pretty great.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...565105acf8ca47
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode