Noob with Rubicon...Lets discuss my mods... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Cool Noob with Rubicon...Lets discuss my mods...

First off...I just bought a '13 Rubicon 2dr with the auto tranny and I'm in love with it! It's my first Jeep ever...

So far I've mounted 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on the stock rims and last night I ordered the AEV 3.5" lift kit which will go on next week...I think I'll be going with the either AEV or Procomp wheels...I've been looking at bumpers, light bars, driveshafts, you name it...What else should I look at?! I typically only like to buy the "GOOD" quality parts so let me know! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 05:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've seen a lot of bad reports of AEV wheels lately and poor customer service to go with them.

What do you want to do with the jeep? A rock crawler will need different parts than a camping rig or a mud bogger.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #3 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
I've seen a lot of bad reports of AEV wheels lately and poor customer service to go with them.

What do you want to do with the jeep? A rock crawler will need different parts than a camping rig or a mud bogger.
This rig has to do a few things for me...

1. Daily driver
2. Pull my PWC
3. Hit trails/camping hard

Those things considered are why I went with the AEV dualsport 3.5" lift system...I've read only good things about it and I've heard the ride quality actually improves...If they're bad on service for the rims then I'll steer away and go with the Procomps that I love...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Too much lift. You will be better off with no more then 2" on a light 2 door. I bet you will net close to 4.5" on that kit you ordered.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Too much lift. You will be better off with no more then 2" on a light 2 door. I bet you will net close to 4.5" on that kit you ordered.
You really think I'll get 4.5" just from the lift alone? I've already got about 1" from my tires being 2" taller than stock...Oh well it's paid for and ordered and I'll be installing it...Hope I can make it work for my needs...Heavy bumpers and other crap can bring her back down maybe...
post #6 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Yes, you typically get more lift then advertised as the quality lift companies build them for built up armored rigs. You may bring it down a bit with a winch and some heavy bumpers but you will still get that funny "roller skate" look running that much lift with such little tires. That lift is really set up for 37" tires.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 06:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'd look at getting some security for the rig. Stuff like the concealed carry draw and trunk from tuffy security are some of my most used items. Especially when hiking/camping it's nice to be able to leave junk secure in the jeep. Check out sidetracked off-road for lights. Great customer service and great lights. You will probably need driveshafts pretty soon. I'm a tom woods fanboy.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #8 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Granite Guru

I have that lift on my 2012 rubicon. Here is a pic with 35"s. I just put a winch on and it didn't make much difference.
post #9 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Yes, you typically get more lift then advertised as the quality lift companies build them for built up armored rigs. You may bring it down a bit with a winch and some heavy bumpers but you will still get that funny "roller skate" look running that much lift with such little tires. That lift is really set up for 37" tires.
Well I'll see how it does on these 34's and switch if it looks super retarded...
post #10 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
I have that lift on my 2012 rubicon. Here is a pic with 35"s. I just put a winch on and it didn't make much difference.
Looks like a nice lift height to me...You have more pics? Thanks!
post #11 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

post #12 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Damn that looks great...I'm guessing it looks a little nose high because of your hard top and rack on the rear...Still pretty level though...Really nice rig.
post #13 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneRubi View Post
Damn that looks great...I'm guessing it looks a little nose high because of your hard top and rack on the rear...Still pretty level though...Really nice rig.
I think the trimmed front fenders make it look more nose high than it really is. I bought it that way. Once I get a rear bumper I will probably do the rears the same way.
I'm possibly working a deal on some Raceline beadlocks that a friend has. Then some 37"s. I really like the Bilsteins that come with this kit also.

Last edited by Ronson; 09-12-2014 at 08:23 PM.
post #14 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I think the trimmed front fenders make it look more nose high than it really is. I bought it that way. Once I get a rear bumper I will probably do the rears the same way.
I'm possibly working a deal on some Raceline beadlocks that a friend has. Then some 37"s. I really like the Bilsteins that come with this kit also.
Stock gears OK with 37's? And the Bilsteins are one of the main reasons I wanted to get this kit...
post #15 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Rock God

What dirt man said. Too much lift for that size tire and your purposes and being a light 2 door you will likely end up at 4.5" or more lift.

RK 2.5 Triple Rate Coils, MC control arms, 40" Trail Grapplers.
post #16 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Good thing I ordered some teraflex exhaust extensions too...Sounds like I'll need them for the front DS...
post #17 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Stock gears OK with 37's? And the Bilsteins are one of the main reasons I wanted to get this kit...
I have 4:11s with 35"s but I think 37"s would be pushing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
What dirt man said. Too much lift for that size tire and your purposes and being a light 2 door you will likely end up at 4.5" or more lift.
Pretty sure AEV has different part#s for 2 and 4 doors. Probably because of different springs.
post #18 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes I'm pretty sure it does use lighter duty springs than the JKUR kit...

Side note...I just received my 7 Fedex tracking numbers from Quadratec lol...Looks like most parts will roll in Tues/Wed!
post #19 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Granite Guru

Great looking rig.

Disclaimer* The following is my opinion based on experience.

I hope you have deep pocket$ because it will never be "done".

You may accidentaly find that you "want" different drive shafts if you plan to off road hard in a 2dr with that much lift.

I found that I change springs and add/remove spacers to get the ride and look I want according to weight distribution of changing mods and driving environments. After trying a few combinations Im now running 2.5in dual rate RK springs in front and 3in TF linear springs with 1in spacers in the rear. Its good for now...

I like AEV for their street and trail riding manors. High quality, low maintenance kits.
post #20 of 73 Old 09-12-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Stangbuster...I'm thinking of ordering these wheels this week to mount right after I install the lift this week...black/machined Procomps...
post #21 of 73 Old 09-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Rock God

I would look at doing lower control arm skids, C-gussets, and relocate the steering stabilizer sooner than later.
post #22 of 73 Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangbuster View Post
Great looking rig.

Disclaimer* The following is my opinion based on experience.

I hope you have deep pocket$ because it will never be "done".

You may accidentaly find that you "want" different drive shafts if you plan to off road hard in a 2dr with that much lift.

I like AEV for their street and trail riding manors. High quality, low maintenance kits.
True! While I like the manners of this lift I might eventually go to something different because I am pretty hard on stuff. I got this in May and so far so good!
I still have the stock driveshafts. I am watching them closely. Adams is right around the corner from me so since we will have the same setup I can keep my measurements when I do mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
I would look at doing lower control arm skids, C-gussets, and relocate the steering stabilizer sooner than later.
All good advice. This kit already relocates the steering stabilizer.

On AEVs site they say the 3.5" is for 35"s and 4.5" is for 37"s.

I drove a brand new '13 and then this lifted '12 back to back and so did my 5'3" girlfriend. She wasn't as happy driving the lifted one but she agrees it rides much nicer than the 05' TJ w/35"s it replaced. She wouldn't even drive it.
post #23 of 73 Old 09-13-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What are the C-gussets? I'm new lol...
post #24 of 73 Old 09-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
What are the C-gussets? I'm new lol...
The "C" is the outer ends of the front axle housing. The spindle rotates on them on the ball joints.The wheel/brakes are mounted on the spindle.
Wrangler front axle housings are known to bend where the tubes attach to the C's. This causes the tops of the tires to point inward which is known as negative camber.
Gussets are welded to the axle tube and "C"s to prevent this.
Another method is sleeving. Basically another tube is pushed inside the existing axle tubes at the ends and welded. This is a relatively easy way to thicken the axle tubes without replacing the housing.
post #25 of 73 Old 09-13-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
The "C" is the outer ends of the front axle housing. The spindle rotates on them on the ball joints.The wheel/brakes are mounted on the spindle.
Wrangler front axle housings are known to bend where the tubes attach to the C's. This causes the tops of the tires to point inward which is known as negative camber.
Gussets are welded to the axle tube and "C"s to prevent this.
Another method is sleeving. Basically another tube is pushed inside the existing axle tubes at the ends and welded. This is a relatively easy way to thicken the axle tubes without replacing the housing.
Makes complete sense...Thanks a lot for the explanation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode