Supercharger wear and tear - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Supercharger wear and tear

My 4 door jk rubicon is currently being built at the factory and I have been researching both hemi swaps and superchargers. Apparently, AEV is currently not offering hemi swaps for manual transmission and it also costs approximately $20,000! Yikes! yet so it looks like I will be going with a supercharger. I have been told that superchargers do put wear on the engine. Does anyone know how much wear and will I be replacing my engine prematurely because of the supercharger. Would anyone advise against it?

Last edited by Duexmachina; 01-15-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Wheeler

It is a function of the boost. The 3.8L was not intended to have a blower, but if you add a blower, the more boost, the higher the stress on the powertrain which may result in shorter life and/or component failure.

Allen
post #3 of 108 Old 01-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duexmachina View Post
My 4 door jk rubicon is currently being built at the factory and I have been researching both hemi swaps and superchargers. Apparently, AEV is currently not offering hemi swaps for manual transmission yet so it looks like I will be going with a supercharger. I have been told that superchargers do put wear on the engine. Does anyone know how much wear and will I be replacing my engine prematurely because of the supercharger. Would anyone advise against it?
The store doesn't have any pants, so I am going to just buy shorts instead... dumb! Do some research so you can compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. There are other vendors who offer a manual transmission swap. When you do a hemi swap, the man. transmission gets replaced anyway...

Walker Evans Beadlocks
GenRight Bumpers and Fenders
Rockhard Skidplates
PSC Hydroassist
6" TeraFlex Long Arm Suspension
Bilstein shocks
JE Reel 1350 driveshafts
Warn Powerplant
Poly Performance Rocker Guards
oh yeah, its got a hemi!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 108 Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody99 View Post
The store doesn't have any pants, so I am going to just buy shorts instead... dumb! Do some research so you can compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. There are other vendors who offer a manual transmission swap. When you do a hemi swap, the man. transmission gets replaced anyway...
Hey Woody, it also costs $20,000 bucks! Hence my interest in superchargers!

Read before you criticize!
post #5 of 108 Old 01-15-2010, 05:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you in fact have a new jeep on order,you might want to give it a try before laying down hard earned big bux on something that will blow your warranty all to hell.Just because some want "more power" does not equate to the 3.8 is gutless.....which it is not.The 3.8 does a decent job all around.Gets better once you hit around 15k miles as I heard.Unless your looking for bragging rights.......

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #6 of 108 Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If you in fact have a new jeep on order,you might want to give it a try before laying down hard earned big bux on something that will blow your warranty all to hell.Just because some want "more power" does not equate to the 3.8 is gutless.....which it is not.The 3.8 does a decent job all around.Gets better once you hit around 15k miles as I heard.Unless your looking for bragging rights.......
x2 I have over 30k on my unlimited with 35's and the factory 4.10's. The motor is pretty stout, not winning any 1/4 miles but the longevity is there with lots of JK's over 50K+. RIPP and HESCO both have vehicles with 20+ thousand "boosted" miles, on and off road, and no real signs of increase wear. There's a lot of other factors but not to worry about having to try to keep it alive.

Mike
post #7 of 108 Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Its all a matter of boost. If you have a proper tune and you arent running alot of boost, you will not hurt the longevity of your engine too much. Plenty of OEM supercharged engines out there get 100,000 miles running 4-6 pounds. The JK kits run up to 8 pounds.
post #8 of 108 Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
My 4 door jk rubicon is currently being built at the factory and I have been researching both hemi swaps and superchargers. Apparently, AEV is currently not offering hemi swaps for manual transmission and it also costs approximately $20,000! Yikes! yet so it looks like I will be going with a supercharger. I have been told that superchargers do put wear on the engine. Does anyone know how much wear and will I be replacing my engine prematurely because of the supercharger. Would anyone advise against it?
Hopefully RIPP will chime in as I beleive they have 60 or 70k + on their early design supercharger and have made some improvements since....but Hesco also seems to have a promising design and I have been trying to do some research on their product....also do not let the price you are getting from AEV for a hemi scare you as I have heard of shops that will do the swap with the AEV kit come in under 12k for a 5.7 and 15k for a 6.1 hemi.

you could always do what I think I am going to do supercharge until the price of the hemi engines come down and or the price of the kit then once my engine goes have some money saved up to do a hemi swap....but I also do not ever plan on getting rid of my Jeep and hope to pass it down to my son in 15 and a half years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 108 Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Burnsville Offroad does HEMI swaps for manual..

http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #10 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 04:01 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
3.8 is very much GUTLESS....at least here in "Gods Country". Try going up I-70 to the Ski Resorts from Denver, you WILL find out how gutless it really is...sorry to unearth this post...
post #11 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyJK View Post
3.8 is very much GUTLESS....at least here in "Gods Country". Try going up I-70 to the Ski Resorts from Denver, you WILL find out how gutless it really is...sorry to unearth this post...
Coming from Silverthorn up towards the tunnel - I did 75 mph at 3500 rpm but thats with an Avenger Supercharger.
post #12 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Coming from Silverthorn up towards the tunnel - I did 75 mph at 3500 rpm but thats with an Avenger Supercharger.
I need to follow in your foot steps...or tire tracks as it were. Going up 70 watching my speedo plummet and my RPMs rocket is such a kick in the balzac

2007 JK Unlimited Steel Blue
For all your days prepare and meet them ever alike
post #13 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Rock God

i have the RIPP supercharger.. and i am very happy with it ... yeah would be nice to have a hemi.. with 37's and heavy beadlock wheels.. the supercharger gives me the extra boost i need.. also with the 5:13 gears makes the jk much more enjoyable to drive ... i say go with the super charger for now
post #14 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Our original test mule was traded in at 60k mile of supercharged miles... there are clients who have kits running over 20-30k now... Conversely there are a few bad ones too... but with 400 kits sold we're confident the kits are solid.

One of our clients - on the other forum just got off the dyno with our header and supercharger and hit 236 rear wheel HP and 265ft/lbs of torque through 37's... thats actually Hemi power at half the price...

We have plenty of rigs in Colorado, one of our best dealers/installers is

Bullhide 4x4 (High Altitude Dyno Tuning)
5817 S College Ave
Fort Collins, CO 80525
970-224-2288
www.bullhide4x4.com
[email protected]

Installs through them always go smooth and make power - They are our go to guys in Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
i have the RIPP supercharger.. and i am very happy with it ... yeah would be nice to have a hemi.. with 37's and heavy beadlock wheels.. the supercharger gives me the extra boost i need.. also with the 5:13 gears makes the jk much more enjoyable to drive ... i say go with the super charger for now
We're going to be releasing a Gen2 Electronics package soon - and that's going to change things big time... We're not ready to release info on it yet - but we're getting close...

YouTube - JK RIPP Supercharged 37's AUTO 288lbs/ft Torque 2500rpm.MOV

RIPPTECH
post #15 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Rock God

hey RIPP
with the release of the Gen 2 electronics package... would that be something that could replace the black box and electronics in a already installed superchaged jk ? thanks
post #16 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
hey RIPP
with the release of the Gen 2 electronics package... would that be something that could replace the black box and electronics in a already installed superchaged jk ? thanks
Yep... you betcha

RIPPTECH
post #17 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 04:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
Our original test mule was traded in at 60k mile of supercharged miles... there are clients who have kits running over 20-30k now... Conversely there are a few bad ones too... but with 400 kits sold we're confident the kits are solid.

One of our clients - on the other forum just got off the dyno with our header and supercharger and hit 236 rear wheel HP and 265ft/lbs of torque through 37's... thats actually Hemi power at half the price...

RIPPTECH
Very nice! Sounds.... nice!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #18 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Its all in the tuning but anyways...

good advice... I bought a $20k brand new civic si in 2005 and put a turbo on it. My mistake was that I didn't have it properly tuned, one day I turned the boost up and... poof. There went a brand new engine with 7k on it. I spent 7 months making payments on a car I couldn't drive.... its sucks.

It turned out good because I swapped in a better engine which netted me 50+ hp and a 6 spd... but I learned a lesson.

The lesson learned... get some mileage out of your stock engine (at least until your warranty is up) before you blow it up with forced induction mods.

for the record...

I am very satisfied with the stock 3.8 liter. Its not geared for speed so dont expect to win any races... but it has more than adequate power to pull yourself, 3 other people, a trailer (under 2000 lbs), and all the gear you will need... anywhere you want to go. These are jeeps, not blown top fuel drag cars.

Last edited by give me vtec; 06-23-2010 at 05:08 PM.
post #19 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by give me vtec View Post
for the record...

I am very satisfied with the stock 3.8 liter. Its not geared for speed so dont expect to win any races... but it has more than adequate power to pull yourself, 3 other people, a trailer (under 2000 lbs), and all the gear you will need... anywhere you want to go. These are jeeps, not blown top fuel drag cars.
No i want my Jeep to go like a blown top fuel drag car!!! No i'm with you. Mines especially sluggish as i have 35's and 3.21 gears. But even with my current setup i have no problem getting where i need to go and doing 80 on the highway. Even get's me though some wheeling as well. but the 3.21 gears make it hard to crawl so i tend to hop up stuff alot...But with some gears and maybe someday a Ripp or Hemi swap i'm sure it would be ideal.

'08 Red Rock X, 2 dr., 6 speed. Teraflex 2.5BB 4dr. Rubi Springs, Bilstien 5100 Shocks and Steering Stabilizer, Rubi Rock Rails, 15" Street Locks, BFG AT tires 35x12.50, Hella Black Magic Off Road Lights Windshield Mounts, Skid Row Front Skid Plate, Rockhard evap skid, Custom Stock Stubbied Front Bumper w/ Handicap bathroom grab rail and Home Brew D-ring mounts with 10,000lb D-ring shackles..Banks CAI, MBRP Stainless Catback
post #20 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Rock God

RIPP....Since when did your kit get a intercooler? Is it custom or new design?
post #21 of 108 Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Wheeler

As stated before, its all in amount of boost, and tune to a certain aspect. Bottom line, if you are running too much boost, your going to snap a rod or some other weak cast part. If you're going to be running a supercharger or turbo at any substantial amount of boost, you're going to need forged internals to handle the added stress. If you're running 6, 8, maybe even 10 pounds, you'd probably be ok with the appropriate tune. Just my $.02
post #22 of 108 Old 06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by give me vtec View Post
Sorry but I cant agree with that. I dont expect a race car but I dont like driving 75 mph on a flat highway and still have to have 3500 rpm to maintain that speed (stock rubi auto).

The 4 speed auto has almost the same gear ratios as the 5 speed mated to the hemi but with 140 less hp to push it. Combine that with the aerodynamics of a brick and the Jeep doesnt do well at highway speeds.

I went with an Avenger SC and will never look back. Has been the best investment by far.
post #23 of 108 Old 06-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
Yep... you betcha

RIPPTECH
awesome ... cant wait
post #24 of 108 Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Also, the 3.8L is reasonable to come by cheap with low miles on them if you have to replace it.

Has anyone researched taking one of these 3.8L's and building it? The freaking V6 in the new Camaro and Mustang are putting out 300hp+

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #25 of 108 Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ck View Post
I need to follow in your foot steps...or tire tracks as it were. Going up 70 watching my speedo plummet and my RPMs rocket is such a kick in the balzac
If you are ever in the Springs area, let me know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode