What else could be broke - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Angry What else could be broke

This is my first post so please be gentle. I have an 07 X 2 dr auto and 4:10's with a 2 1/2 FORTEC lift and 35's. After wheeling i noticed a loud clunking sound coming from the right front. I found that I had broken the bolt on the bottom right front shock. Could I have damaged anything else by running the jeep for a week like this. Any thoughts would be heplfull.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok, I'll try to be gentle since it's your first post (first off, welcome to JKO) but WTF were you thinking driving like that for a week??

Now, could you have damaged anything else? YES but without inspecting it you may not be able to tell until that something else starts making some noise and/or simply fails.

IMO, replace the broken bolt and give the chassis a full visual inspection. If your not comfortable doing this type of work I would recommend you find a reputable off road shop near you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Openly Hostile

First, welcome to JKO.

was the broken bolt still holding the shock in the mount? You can post up pictures and we can take a look. You may have damaged the holes in the mount.

It's a good idea to give your jeep a good look over underneath after wheeling and before you head home.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Ok, I'll try to be gentle since it's your first post (first off, welcome to JKO) but WTF were you thinking driving like that for a week??

Now, could you have damaged anything else? YES but without inspecting it you may not be able to tell until that something else starts making some noise and/or simply fails.

IMO, replace the broken bolt and give the chassis a full visual inspection. If your not comfortable doing this type of work I would recommend you find a reputable off road shop near you.

x2,

sorry man but that was a dumb move, esspecially when you hear it with every rotation geeze.

anyway like scot said, replace the bolt and do a visual and then if you dont see anything or hear anything when driving thank your lucky freaking stars.

BUT if you replace and hear, or feel something take it to a good reputable shop

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #5 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

[QUOTE=scottrock;316807](first off, welcome to JKO) but WTF were you thinking driving like that for a week??

QUOTE]

X2 on both headings...
noones gonna try and give u a hard time, however, like he said replace what you KNOW is broken, and untill u do this, STOP DRIVING! absolutly one thing can lead to another, do a visual chances are great (obviously) that if anything else has broken it will be in the area (i.e. control arms etc) it will not always be obvious that something has broke so my suggestion is that you take it to either a friend who may be able to help you or to a dealership or shop somewhere...

hope you get everything fixed without any major problems and welcome to JKO

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #6 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Oh, to add to the suggestions: you may have broken the shock itself if the shock body was banging around on the axle mount.

Pics would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Welcome to JKO!

I don't think anything else would have been damaged. Just inspect the shock and the mounting holes. THe mount holes may be wallowed out from running with a broken bolt.

Pics would help.

Be careful with those 35's dude, I heard that they bend axles...
post #8 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
Be careful with those 35's dude, I heard that they bend axles...
wow that shit goes around like the village slut...

funny as hell tho...

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Rock God

Seconding SDMF... get some pics up here and you'll get good (and smartass) feedback. Get some good pics of the shock mount - also what kind of shock?

Any vibration while driving or just noise?

Out
post #10 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I replaced the bolt and everything appears fine. It drove fine after wheeling. I noticed the clunking noise about 3-4 days ago only when hitting bumps in the road, no sound while on smooth ones. There was no vibration or pulling while driving. I was just wondering what else I should check. Thansk for the quick responces
post #11 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Wheeler

Little tires good, big tires bad!!!!!! Read JK !!!!!hahahahahaha. It is like a village slut. I bet that will carry on for a long long time
post #12 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 03:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i dont think anything else would break, you prob did hear anything at first cause the shock was pushed up (compressed) and when you did hit the larger bumps the axle made it far up enough to hit the shock.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #13 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Rock God

35's will not bend yo axels scooby. The shock bolt being broke will not break anything else unless the shock gets all squirrlie and hits something. Replace that bolt and go beat the crap outta that thing. Thats how I roll brudda.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sweet levellinebrad. That's what I wanted to hear!!!
post #15 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Rock God

Whole lotta crap on this thread! I drove for a month with a missing shock bolt. Went through, checked torques on everything but those. WHAT WAS I THINKING? I WAS THINKING IT'S A FUCKIN' SHOCK BOLT, MAKE SURE THE STUFF THAT ACTUALLY NEEDS TORQUED IS TORQUED! Chrysler uses crap bolts for their shocks. I lost both fronts on Metal Masher in Moab the next week. Finally replaced'em with grade 8's. The shock just hangs outta the way when the bolt leaves it. You're fine. Now you know to take a look at everything under there on a regular basis plus before and after wheeling.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #16 of 17 Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Take something like this as an opportunity to fix a weak link. Swap all of the shock mount bolts out to grade 8's, it's cheap and you won't be stressing about breaking another one. Everything is probably fine. You might have damaged the shock itself or the mount.

Slide the boot up off of the shock if it has one and check for oil. If you bent it a little then hooking it back up and running it should have blown its seals out in short order, and you'll have a wet oily shock. A visual inspection will tell you if the mount is damaged. I believe your lift uses Procomp shocks. If one is damaged give Fortec a call, sometimes they can warranty stuff like that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't forget to post a pic up in the welcome room and let everyone know you're here! And check out the Florida section!

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright

Last edited by fl-mitchells; 01-15-2010 at 06:24 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

I came home from work one night last week (driving our minivan) and pulled in the driveway and....... one of the rear shocks was dangling straight down! My first thought was to throw a rock at my wife

However after calming down a bit and discussing it with her it turns out all she did was run a "mildly washboarded" dirt road at what she claimed to be a reasonable speed

So following my own previous advice in this thread I proceeded down to the local bolt & screw store. I learned two things there. First, the stock bolts that hold the bottoms of the shocks to the brackets are indeed grade 8 from the factory. They don't look like it (no gold coating) but the stamp on the end indicates that they are. Second that the stock bolts are (like everything else on the Jeep) metric and something of an oddball size, so they would have to order them

Next stop I'm a block down the road at our local dealership parts counter. They didn't have any in stock but he told me he could have it next day. They're size M12 x 1.5 mopar part 6104242AA in the computer. After noticing the look on my face when hearing the $8 a piece price tag, he suggested (with a straight face even) that I come back around two or three in the morning and grab one off the lot. I declined the offer

Next stop Autozone. No dice

Next stop Lowe's. They had plenty of grade 8 stuff, but nothing metric. It was getting late and I was about to lose my daylight by this time, so used the bolt I had brought along to get something close. Turns out "Hex HD Bolt 1/2-13 x 3" did the trick at $1.87 a piece. They didn't have the washer type head so I picked up 8 matching washers and 4 "1/2-13 Grade C Nyl Insrt" nuts. Yup, nylon inserts are the trick. I have no way of knowing whether the bolt broke off or backed out, but now I've eliminated backing out from the equation for good

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode