Nitto Terragrappler input please - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Nitto Terragrappler input please

Alright everyone, I'm ditching the "high performance" SRA's that came stock on my Jeep. My plan involves 33" tires now with a Teraflex BB in the near future (2-3 months). I'm buying an all terrain, as most of my driving is on pavement. I'll be ordering a set of spidertrax tonight or tomarrow. Now the tire question looms.

I've got it narrowed down to two tires: BFG AT's, and Nitto Terragrapplers. Both are the same price for the 285/75/r17, so that isn't an issue. I've used the BFG on my Bronco, and was pleased with it. Just looking for something different now.

My questions go out to anyone who has owned the Nitto before. How did it handle? On road? Off road? How did they hold up? Would you buy it again?

Thanks,
Tom

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

My rommate had them on his TJ. They were good in rain and dirt roads. Really about it. I wouldnt even consider them an offroad tire at all.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have em on my jeep,they are good all purpouse tire,thegood in the sand,snow, rain,but mud does eem to collect on them and do not self clean,for what I do I am happy.

Black Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Rock God

I have TerraGrapplers,325/70-17(35x12.50) They are Ok for a daily driver, OK in the sand and dirt, but terrible in mud. Haven't had them on rocks yet but I predict they will be OK for what I will do, which is just the mediocre type trails and runs....

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #5 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockednloaded View Post
I've got it narrowed down to two tires: BFG AT's, and Nitto Terragrapplers. Both are the same price for the 285/75/r17, so that isn't an issue.

My questions go out to anyone who has owned the Nitto before. How did it handle? On road? Off road? How did they hold up? Would you buy it again?
I have had TerraGrapplers on my F150 for about 15k miles and they are a great road tire, showing little wear.

I like them so much that I just put them on my wife's Z71 Tahoe about 2 weeks ago. They replace a set of BFG Mud Terrrains (stock Rubicon tires) and the difference is night and day for onroad performance and noise.

Can not comment on how they perform in the mud or on the trail...save that stuff for my Jeep/KM2's.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Wheeler

The Terra-grapplers are great in dirt,snow,and wet. They suck in the mud.

Probably the best tire I've ever ran in the snow or rain.

Quiet and smooth on road.

When the Michelins on my wifes Tahoe wear out she'll be getting some Terra-grapplers.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the responses. I don't typically get into too much mud, so that won't be an issue for me. If their mud performance is the biggest gripe, I might just go ahead and get the nitto's. I do a lot of road and dirt driving, they sound like they would be perfect for me. Gotta be better than the stock tires. I can't wait.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

post #8 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 06:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've ran Nitto TG's for about 30k now and they are a great DD tire. I hit the dirt at least once a month and they do fine for an AT. I air em down to around 12psi and they stick like glue. Are they equivalent to a MT? Of course not, but for the $$ they are a good tire. I rotate and balance every 6k and mine are wearing very evenly and well.

Gotta recommend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 AM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

Also check out the Goodyear Duratracs if you want a more aggressive AT tire.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I don't typically get into too much mud, so that won't be an issue for me. If their mud performance is the biggest gripe, I might just go ahead and get the nitto's. I do a lot of road and dirt driving, they sound like they would be perfect for me. Gotta be better than the stock tires. I can't wait.
I think you'll really like them. Another cool feature is the scalloped sidewalls on the Terra-grapplers. The sidewalls look more like a M/T than an A/T so you get some of that aggressive look everybody wants.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Alright everyone, I'm ditching the "high performance" SRA's that came stock on my Jeep. My plan involves 33" tires now with a Teraflex BB in the near future (2-3 months). I'm buying an all terrain, as most of my driving is on pavement. I'll be ordering a set of spidertrax tonight or tomarrow. Now the tire question looms.

I've got it narrowed down to two tires: BFG AT's, and Nitto Terragrapplers. Both are the same price for the 285/75/r17, so that isn't an issue. I've used the BFG on my Bronco, and was pleased with it. Just looking for something different now.

Thanks,
Tom
I'm running them on my JK, but the 295/75/R17's They handle great, very quiet compared to other tires I've had, big open tread so you don't get any snow/mud build up.

I ran them for the first 5000 KM on stock wheels with no spacer, and found the only problem was a very slight rubbing on the sway bar on the front drivers side. Added a 2" lift and 1.5" spidertrax spacers and have not had a single problem, except for driving over a 6" chunck of steel on the hi-way and needing a repair. They have 20,000 KM on them now and still have about 90% tread left! I brought 5 tires and needed a spacer for the spare tire carrier!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #12 of 15 Old 01-16-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

jeep is at the local NTB right now getting new shoes. I'm waiting for the phone call to go pick her up. I got the nitto's in the 285/70/r17 variety. Now I need my spidertrax to show up.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

post #13 of 15 Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just brought the Jeep home, and the new tires look sweet! They handle better than the SRA's, not as rough of a ride. I have minor rubbing when the wheel is at full turn. Spidertrax should solve that problem.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

post #14 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Also check out the Goodyear Duratracs if you want a more aggressive AT tire.
X2, great all condition road maners, snow flake winter rating, studdable (if legal) and great in the mud, great tire overall.

align="center">Jeep Green 4dr Sahara

LoD Mid Front Bumper*LoD Gen-2 Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier*Warn Powerplant Winch*LoD Rock Sliders*ARB Diff Covers*JKS Quicker Disconnects*MBRP Stainless Off-Road Relo Exhaust*Teraflex 1" Front Coil Spacers*KC Slim-Lite Long Range Lights/IPF 968s/Delta Fogs*Cool Tech LLC Antenna Mount w/ 4' Firestik*JVC NX7000BT DVD/NAV HU*48" Extreme High Lift*Mastercraft Roll Cage Handles*Mopar Seat Covers*Husky Floor Liners*Off-Road Recovery Goodies*Mirror Hole Mod
post #15 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Just brought the Jeep home, and the new tires look sweet! They handle better than the SRA's, not as rough of a ride. I have minor rubbing when the wheel is at full turn. Spidertrax should solve that problem.
Good deal. Glad it worked out for you. And I'm glad to hear they are that good in the rain.

I'm still deciding between these and the new Trail Grapplers. We were in traffic next to a lifted Chevy truck with the TG's yesterday. They made slightly more noise than the KM's we have on the Jeep. Wife liked 'em so that's a plus

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode