Buying a 4 Door What One!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Buying a 4 Door What One!!

Ok so i have had a wrangler x 2 door for a couple of years and i want to step up to a 4 door. My intent is to put 37s on it and use it as a daily driver for the next year then become a recreational vehicle.

I am currently looking at 2 different ones. The first one is a 2008 Sahara 4 Door 2wd, auto, with 5,600 miles on it and it is $18,700. The second one is a 2008 Rubicon 4 door, manual, hardtop and soft top, 18,000 miles on it and it is $25,600.

I can do most of the drivetrain work myself with the 2wd and anything i can't do i will lure my friends with to help me.

I would really appreciate some help in this situation any opinions are welcome.

Aaron

"When life gives ya lemons, ya shut up and eat your lemons" Clint Eastwood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Man where to begin...

First since you live in Canada so I am making the assumption that it does snow and that 4wd would be preferable. You can always convert the 2wd to 4 but that is alot of hassle and more money down the road so I would at least limit my search to 4wd unlimiteds.

You want to run 37s on it. If you plan on strengthening which ever axles you do get (which at the very least should C gusset with 37s) then I think the 44s from a Rubi would be a better starting point. If you plan on upgrading completely to a prorock 44 or dana 60 for example, then it obviously doesnt matter which axle you get originally.

The last part is your definition of recreational and how far do you want to take it. If you have a complete lift in mind the money all saved up then the better suspension that comes on a rubi isnt something you really need but if you plan on upgrading gradually then the Rubi suspension is good to have until you have the money to make changes.

Just some thoughts and I am sure more people will chime in on this...
post #3 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

As stated, it really comes down to your intentions (modifying & driving/ wheeling). The $6,900 difference between the two = a good deal of mods. The difference of 12,400 miles is not as significant imo, especially considering that you have no idea how well one was cared for over the other.

If it was me personally, and I had the extra $$$, then I would probably opt for the Rubi, as long as the 6 speed doesn't bother you (or your spouse?). I really just don't care for 2wd Jeeps, nor would I like the thoughts of taking the time and extra money to convert it to 4wd. JMO

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys all good points, i was doing some research and i am heavily leaning towards the rubi and i will be moving to the west coast here shortly where i have no garage to work on a 2wd to convert to 4wd. I just need to get a hold of the bank and sell my soul

post #5 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Split the difference and get a 3 wheel drive.

post #6 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I didn't think that the Sahara came in a 2wd version?. But here is my .02 worth... for the 7k difference get the Rubi. You will allready have lockers and bigger axels and 4:10 gears so when you turn it into a trail rig you'll already be well down the build road.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 01-14-2010 at 08:15 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

I'd go rubi too!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #8 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 PM
JKO Addict!

if you are not going to do alot of hard off roading , go with the 2wd and put in a elocker in the rear

Last edited by jaker; 01-14-2010 at 09:12 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just make sure you get a red one. They are faster than the other ones.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
X2 on that. Yes, they are much faster

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #11 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Definitely go with the rubi, I'm sure if you add up the t-case, front axle, drive shaft, shifter, t-case adapter, rear drive shaft, rear locker, and then add your lift, tires and wheels to it. Just get the rubi buy some front axle gussets and enjoy, upgrade as you go (or break shit) I think you will be happier.

|
|
post #12 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Definitely go with the rubi, I'm sure if you add up the t-case, front axle, drive shaft, shifter, t-case adapter, rear drive shaft, rear locker, and then add your lift, tires and wheels to it. Just get the rubi buy some front axle gussets and enjoy, upgrade as you go (or break shit) I think you will be happier.
Yeah, good point. I forgot about the lower geared T-case that comes in the Rubi.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
Thanks guys all good points, i was doing some research and i am heavily leaning towards the rubi and i will be moving to the west coast here shortly where i have no garage to work on a 2wd to convert to 4wd. I just need to get a hold of the bank and sell my soul
Where did you find the 2wd? When I got mine 2wd wasn't even an option.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
They have offerd them all along, only on the Unlimited though.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #15 of 20 Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It is located in nove scotia, the guy brought it up from the united states. I was kinda shocked that there was one in canada too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post

post #16 of 20 Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Red paint is good for 30 more horsepower!
post #17 of 20 Old 01-15-2010, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy202 View Post
Red paint is good for 30 more horsepower!
Its also good for higher insurance premiums
post #18 of 20 Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

which one? buy mine 07 rubi unlimited with 44k miles and already on 35's. $21k saves you a lot of money, but you have to come to maryland to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-16-2010, 01:22 AM

Are jeeps cheaper in canada? wouldn't they be more expensive cuz the terrain sucks up there?
post #20 of 20 Old 01-16-2010, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by odogg View Post
Are jeeps cheaper in canada? wouldn't they be more expensive cuz the terrain sucks up there?
Well the Canadian dollar is increasing in value compared to the US dollar and most jeeps are made in the US and shipped up here so they are cheaper for the time being. Yes our terrain is different and for 5 months of the year covered in snow but it is still fuck as f%#$k to wheel on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode