PowerTank mounting - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-09-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

PowerTank mounting

Where is everyone mounting their PowerTanks?

I just picked up a 15lb PowerTank and I'd like to keep it in the Jeep, but having 2 car seats in the back my space is very limited.

Any ideas?

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
Where is everyone mounting their PowerTanks?

I just picked up a 15lb PowerTank and I'd like to keep it in the Jeep, but having 2 car seats in the back my space is very limited.

Any ideas?
PowerTank bracket mounted to C-pillar of roll bar?

If the location's not good for you, I can at least vouch for PowerTank's brackets.

I bought one of their brackets designed for a different tank, and modified it to hold a completely different tank.

It's just aluminum sheet that's been through an NC punch press and bent to shape, but well engineered and executed IMHO.
Hardware provided was good quality, and I'm picky about that stuff.
A bracket they make specifically for one of their tanks should be a sweet installation with no snags.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 11 Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Granite Guru

Only once have I had my tank in with the back seat in place (2dr). I used a tie down strap, with the tank standing up, sitting in the floor, driver side, I ran the strap through the handle to the tank and around the roll bar. It didn't flip or anything. Not a permanent setup but it worked to get it filled. I only have it when wheeling, in which case my seat is out. Then I stand it up and use the hoops for the rear seat to strap it standing up. Also strap down my hi- lift and tool bags. I'll post a pic of that setup when I get on my comp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Granite Guru

I have mine mounted on the top side of the rear roll bar drop on our 4dr using PT's bracket. The 10 lb fits perfectly with the hard top in place.

If you have a 2dr I think you could get away with running the bracket on the bottom side of the bar and still clear the seats.

I have been thinking about installing a C-Pillar kit, or using a clamp with a piece of tube to mount the tank more vertically under the bar. This would need to be done in the event that I decide to purchase a trektop.

Jason - KB0WLI
2008 Black JKU Rubicon
RIPP Stage 2, RockHard Bumpers, RockKrawler 3.5" X-Factor & Fox 2.0's, Nitro Sleeved, Artec Trussed & Gusseted, Synergy DL Flip, Energy green Spyder Louvers, 37x12.50-17 Falken Wild Peaks wrapped around 17x9 XD Addics
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I got the Power Tank mounting kit with it and planned on putting it on the C-Pillar behind the rear seat.
But with all the hard plastic shit in the back with the new interior it doesn't sit low enough without bulging the top of my soft top.

Quote:

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #6 of 11 Old 09-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I got the Power Tank mounting kit with it and planned on putting it on the C-Pillar behind the rear seat.
But with all the hard plastic shit in the back with the new interior it doesn't sit low enough without bulging the top of my soft top.
Hey Abacabb, don't know what you're referring to as a "c pillar," so it's hard to visualize what you're working with. I have the Poison Spyder C Pillar kit in mine, so I know how that works, but it almost sounds like you're mounting yours on the rear diagonal brace, which technically I think would be a "D Pillar."

You can check my build thread (link in sig) to see how I mounted mine, but it's a 10# and I don't think you can fit a 15# there even if you remove the handle. You may already know this, but for the sake of those who may not, horizontal mounting is fine for storage and transportation, but the tank must be at least angled upward for use because the CO2 is liquified under pressure.

I agree with ExWrench about the quality of PT's mounting hardware. I just wish the brackets were designed with the bolt heads on the outside of the clamp rather than inside the bracket. Their way is more secure (maybe what they're after?) but in a tight mounting location it's a pain to get right because the tank can't be in the bracket while you're tightening it down.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #7 of 11 Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Hey Abacabb, don't know what you're referring to as a "c pillar," . . . it almost sounds like you're mounting yours on the rear diagonal brace, which technically I think would be a "D Pillar."
Abacabb's one of us ~37 fringe weirdos that actually bought a 2-door JK Wrangler. We really exist. I'm internet-serious.

EDIT: Hey Abacabb, let's saddle up our unicorns and go sasquatch hunting after Starfleet training today. You down?

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 09-10-2014 at 08:21 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2014, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Hey Abacabb, don't know what you're referring to as a "c pillar," so it's hard to visualize what you're working with. I have the Poison Spyder C Pillar kit in mine, so I know how that works, but it almost sounds like you're mounting yours on the rear diagonal brace, which technically I think would be a "D Pillar."

You can check my build thread (link in sig) to see how I mounted mine, but it's a 10# and I don't think you can fit a 15# there even if you remove the handle. You may already know this, but for the sake of those who may not, horizontal mounting is fine for storage and transportation, but the tank must be at least angled upward for use because the CO2 is liquified under pressure.

I agree with ExWrench about the quality of PT's mounting hardware. I just wish the brackets were designed with the bolt heads on the outside of the clamp rather than inside the bracket. Their way is more secure (maybe what they're after?) but in a tight mounting location it's a pain to get right because the tank can't be in the bracket while you're tightening it down.
This is what I was referring to.
But the new interior has hard plastic along the back that doesn't like to be manipulated.

I may just have to mess around with it sometime today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Abacabb's one of us ~37 fringe weirdos that actually bought a 2-door JK Wrangler. We really exist. I'm internet-serious.

EDIT: Hey Abacabb, let's saddle up our unicorns and go sasquatch hunting after Starfleet training today. You down?
Of course!

Quote:

post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
This is what I was referring to.
But the new interior has hard plastic along the back that doesn't like to be manipulated.
Seeing that you are running 40's, I assume you are into modding things… You really going to let a little piece of plastic stand in your way?

Jason - KB0WLI
2008 Black JKU Rubicon
RIPP Stage 2, RockHard Bumpers, RockKrawler 3.5" X-Factor & Fox 2.0's, Nitro Sleeved, Artec Trussed & Gusseted, Synergy DL Flip, Energy green Spyder Louvers, 37x12.50-17 Falken Wild Peaks wrapped around 17x9 XD Addics
post #10 of 11 Old 09-10-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacktacular View Post
Seeing that you are running 40's, I assume you are into modding things… You really going to let a little piece of plastic stand in your way?
Lol, touché.
I took the plastic off earlier and it's still too long.

I'll probably end up just strapping it down in the back when I need it.

Quote:

post #11 of 11 Old 09-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Yeah, my bad. I got 4 door tunnel vision there for a second.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode