No diesel yet - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No diesel yet

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...NESS02/1130338

Article published January 13, 2010
No diesel for Wrangler - not yet, Jeep CEO says

Jeep brand CEO Michael Manley, shown in a Wrangler Islander, says there are no plans to offer the Wrangler with a diesel engine in North America. But he added he has learned 'to never say never.'
( THE BLADE/ANDY MORRISON )

Zoom | Photo Reprints

BLADE STAFF

DETROIT - The Jeep Wrangler won't get a diesel engine in North America in 2011, as Chrysler Group LLC had implied when it laid out its five-year business plan on Nov. 4. At least not yet.

Instead, Wranglers in North America will likely receive Chrysler's new Pentastar V6 engine when its powertrain is refreshed next summer. All Jeep Wranglers are built at the Toledo Jeep Assembly complex.

Jeep enthusiasts were excited to learn last year that the original SUV would receive a diesel variant in North America. Though diesel fuel costs more, diesel engines offer greater fuel economy and greater torque, important for off-roading enthusiasts.

"We have no plans at the moment for diesel Jeeps in North America, although one of the things I've learned in this business is to never say never," said Michael Manley, president and chief executive officer of the Jeep brand. "I wouldn't rule it out, but specifically on Nov. 4, we were commenting on diesel in Europe."

Mr. Manley said Chrysler intends to keep the "Jeep DNA" in Jeep vehicles so as to guard the reputation of the Wrangler.

"This vehicle is really the icon of the brand. It's the first vehicle that comes into everybody's mind, and it has huge, huge importance to us," he said. "What we really want to do with it is to make sure it stays the icon of the brand, and I think for us, when we listen to our customers, we get a range of feedback" asking for improved powertrain and more refinement.
Mr. Manley said that the automaker intends to continue with a series of limited-production special editions of the Wrangler during 2010, following up on the Islander and Mountain editions of the vehicle that Chrysler rolled out for this year's North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The special editions, along with interior improvements to be introduced this summer and powertrain improvements slated for next year, are to help grow sales of the vehicle.

It celebrates the 70th anniversary of its design this summer.

- Larry P. Vellequette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Rock God

wow. what are they thinking?
post #3 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

They probably will never do it.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Rock God

Fucktard..........nobody gives a shit about interior refinements and special editions. Moron goes on about "icon of the brand" and "listening to customers" and this crap is what he comes up with? No wonder they're on their ass.

NO BAILOUT FOR CHRYSLER........LET THE TERMINAL PATIENT DIE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Rock God

more refinement? buy something other than a wrangler. Grand cherokee had plenty of refinement. Give me a damn diesel.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Rock God

Where's that thread with the dude that was thinking about canceling his order on a rubicon and wait for the diesel. He would have been waiting a long time. This CEO doesn't understand who buys the jeep and what they want.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Garage

Whooooo "Islander Edition"

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #8 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Rock God

looks like ill stick with hemi swap then.
It just seems like a win/win situation. we get our torque some economy they meet emissions etc.
just a bad move.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Rock God

Failtastic.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #10 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Rock God

well the new engine is better than we have but.... I'd still take the 4.7L or even a hemi. Either would be a better solution IMHO.

My guess is the deisel isn't powerful enough. Personnally I would never buy a engine under 200hp again. This one barely made the cut.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
post #11 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Damn and I was rooting for the folks who wanted the diesel (sorry cheif)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
looks like ill stick with hemi swap then.
It just seems like a win/win situation. we get our torque some economy they meet emissions etc.
just a bad move.
I'm still holding out for the LT/LS(some number here) swap.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #12 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
Where's that thread with the dude that was thinking about canceling his order on a rubicon and wait for the diesel. He would have been waiting a long time. This CEO doesn't understand who buys the jeep and what they want.
I was the guy. Thank god I did not cancel my factory order.
post #13 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 04:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

"and I think for us, when we listen to our customers, we get a range of feedback"

So people were beating down the doors of Chrysler demanding an "islander" edition Jeep. Sounds like a member of congress.
post #14 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Granite Guru

And "we" bailed them out. Holy Crap! Maybe these Chrysler doinks will sell the Jeep brand. Wishful thinking.

1. '10 Rubicon Unlimited
  2. Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm Flex/Bilstein 5100's
  3. Rough Country SS
    4.GDY Duratrac 315/70/17

post #15 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Question

I had a feeling this would happen, the comment on the 4th of Nov was so open ended. The Jeep management sat down and talked about it and I bet the costs were far too much to offer. Remember Jeep is a cra company that wants to make PROFIT! A diesel wrangler will sell but likely not help with PROFIT!

For example: (for those that say Jeep does not want to sell cars)

If you have a widget that costs $50 but sell them for $49 how many widgets would yu have to sell to make a PROFIT?

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #16 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I had a feeling this would happen, the comment on the 4th of Nov was so open ended. The Jeep management sat down and talked about it and I bet the costs were far too much to offer. Remember Jeep is a cra company that wants to make PROFIT! A diesel wrangler will sell but likely not help with PROFIT!

For example: (for those that say Jeep does not want to sell cars)

If you have a widget that costs $50 but sell them for $49 how many widgets would yu have to sell to make a PROFIT?

Jason
I don't buy that.

I am sure they could figure out how to make profit from selling diesel Wranglers. It isn't rocket science and they are obviously selling them in Europe.

This has more to do with the Pentastar then not being able to make money selling a Diesel. They are far to committed to the Pentastar.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

I dont want to sound all "conspiracy theory" but I think it has something to do with diesel in general. GM and Cummins both developed ridiculously awesome small displacement v8 diesels (something like 4.5L and 5.2L, small in diesel terms) and out of nowhere those engines get put on hold.

These engines were utilizing all of the newest technologies: variable vane turbos, reverse flow direction (exhaust exits in the engine valley) etc. They made amazing power numbers and are very fuel efficient. Tons of money was invested to develop these obivously yet all the major manufactorors arent bringing them to market. Just an opinion...
post #18 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I don't buy that.

I am sure they could figure out how to make profit from selling diesel Wranglers. It isn't rocket science and they are obviously selling them in Europe.

This has more to do with the Pentastar then not being able to make money selling a Diesel. They are far to committed to the Pentastar.
Ok, lets say a 4 dr JK gets 17 city 21 hwy Stock auto hard top

The Penastar is likely to be a bit better lets say 15%.... 19 City 23 hwy

Ok now a Diesel will likley get a tad better maybe another 15% maybe 22 city 25 hwy.

Now lets say its costs Jeep $3500 for the Penastar and $6000 for the Diesel...

Ok now lets say that Diesel they can charge $1800 for it right? Thats a $700 hit per vehicle rolling off the assembly line X 10,000+ units=$7,000,000

If Jeep just builds Pentastar's they would save $7,000,000 per year. Again the auto manufactures are here for PROFIT not to make our less than 10% Jeep population happy.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #19 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I will try to maintain my optimism in thisIt does seem the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.If Sergio Macaroni sez we will get a diesel,I would say I believe him,he is the big boss man.If by chance them dirty rotten cocksuckers reneg on what they said,I will then explore other options,after all I'm a reasonable man who in the last 9 years bought three new fuckin' jeeps.Thank you.....I'm much better now

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #20 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Ok, lets say a 4 dr JK gets 17 city 21 hwy Stock auto hard top

The Penastar is likely to be a bit better lets say 15%.... 19 City 23 hwy

Ok now a Diesel will likley get a tad better maybe another 15% maybe 22 city 25 hwy.

Now lets say its costs Jeep $3500 for the Penastar and $6000 for the Diesel...

Ok now lets say that Diesel they can charge $1800 for it right? Thats a $700 hit per vehicle rolling off the assembly line X 10,000+ units=$7,000,000

If Jeep just builds Pentastar's they would save $7,000,000 per year. Again the auto manufactures are here for PROFIT not to make our less than 10% Jeep population happy.

Jason
You made my point.

There is profit in selling diesels, but there is just more in selling the Pentastar because they have already done the R&D on it and tooled up for it and they need more ROI on it before they offer a diesel.. looks as if a diesel now would be them shooting themselves in the foot.

The only hope would be Fiat using an off the shelf diesel that would pass US emissions and inexpensively tooling the Wrangler line up for it... but then again.. that would be like fucking your brothers wife... felt like a good idea at the time, but would probably prove not so good in the long run.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #21 of 33 Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Wheeler

If they are making the diesel in Europe, how can we get ahold of one of those for specs? If AEV can make a computer upgrade for the Hemi, then how hard could it be for a diesel? Maybe I'm to new and don't know all the facts, but is it possible?
post #22 of 33 Old 01-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

As I said during the last round of rumors on this, I'll believe it when I see it on the lot with my own eyes.

I'll say this as well, if the Pentastart comes out, proves reliable and largely satisfies those wanting more reasonable power it will all but kill the possibility of a diesel going forward.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #23 of 33 Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

As for the refinement comments, the four door Unlimited (combined with other upgrades for the JK) has ushered in a new mainstream segment to Wrangler ownership, good for the viability of the brand from a business sense, but maybe not so good when their opinions get factored in. They likely are not asking for the same things that enthusiasts here will be asking for, and they outnumber "us".

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #24 of 33 Old 01-14-2010, 05:06 AM

The CRD Wranglers over here in Australia [ the biggest Jeep market outside of the US] cost an extra $4000 above the cost of a petrol.

You sure as hell don't buy diesel Wranglers to save money - I think it's something like a 100,000klm before you break even on the purchase price and start to save money on running costs.

But, that 2.8lt diesel is a wicked little unit to drive - particularly with an aftermarket computer chip in it.

blackrooster
post #25 of 33 Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 AM
Granite Guru

Thank you for taunting us blackrooster! lol... Well, I guess it's time then to make plans to trade my JK for what I should have gotten in the 1st place... Unlimited Rubi here I come!

Boomer (aka Chris)
'07 X 2Dr, Steel Blue Metallic

2.5" BB, Black wheels & 33's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode