Dirt blowing out A/C Vents - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Age: 37
Posts: 216
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Dirt blowing out A/C Vents

So anyone else out there that has done some heavy mudding notice you have dirt blowing out your A/C vents when you put the heat on. Only really does it when it is turned all the way up with the heat on.
JDodge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Rock God
 
JPTwinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 781
Feedback: 0 reviews

Living in dirt city Arizona, dirt blowing out when the AC or heat are on is a common place. I just make sure I close the vents when I off-road and hope for the best when I turn stuff back on. I myself don't really mind but I've got little ones and the AZ dirt has been known to carry disease like what causes Valley Fever.

09 Unlimited Rubicon Flame Red
~8.5" TeraFlex LCG Long Arm
~41x14.50 Interco IROK Radials
~20x10 RBP-93R wheels with red inserts
~RCV Performance front D44 CV-style axle shafts
~Posion Spyder Crusher flares, Rock Brawler Bumper, Rocker Knockers w/sliders and Hawse fairlead
~Warn 9.5ti Winch w/synthetic line
~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
~10lb Powertank & VIAR Xtreme
~Drake Off-Road billet bling
Check out my build here....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JPTwinz is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Dr.Dirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hesperia Ca
Posts: 8,653
Garage
Feedback: 21 reviews

the main cause of this is the lack of a cabin air filter

if jeep put one in most of us would be changing it weekly lol

www.jeepasylum.com
Dr.Dirty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
JKO Addict!
 
paramaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philly, PA
Age: 45
Posts: 5,049
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

It most definitely is a Jeep thing


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paramaniac is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Age: 37
Posts: 216
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

It is a decent amount blowing out of the vents, if it was a little bit here and there i would understand. Sometimes it is like i want to wear my atv goggles while it's on full blast.
JDodge is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Rock God
 
l3itch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,147
Feedback: 0 reviews

I've had full on sand storms in my Jeep many times. I guess that's what I get for riding the Florida dust trails with 0 visibility with no doors or top

Anyone elses heat/AC smell like Florida swamp mud?
l3itch is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 12:24 PM
JKO Addict!
 
GreenAmphibious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,715
Feedback: 0 reviews

mine is a mix of swamp and regurgitated chicken wings

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
GreenAmphibious is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Age: 37
Posts: 216
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

This is after vacuming less than 4 days ago and barely turning the heat on. Also haven't really been in any mud since November.

JDodge is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Grant211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Age: 43
Posts: 5,747
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDodge View Post
It is a decent amount blowing out of the vents, if it was a little bit here and there i would understand. Sometimes it is like i want to wear my atv goggles while it's on full blast.

Take a shop vac to it and suck out the dirt/dust from the a/c vents. You can remove the vents by twisting the ring about 1/4 way and then it will slide out. That should help it till the next time you go topless.
Grant211 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Age: 37
Posts: 216
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post

Take a shop vac to it and suck out the dirt/dust from the a/c vents. You can remove the vents by twisting the ring about 1/4 way and then it will slide out. That should help it till the next time you go topless.
That's the thing that gets me. Down in the air vents(when taken out) seems to stay clean(cause it all gets blown in my face). I've never gone off any paved roads when my doors/top has been off either. Only been out in the mud around 10 times and always wash the jeep soon after(under the hood and underneath as well)
JDodge is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Age: 47
Posts: 10,250
Feedback: 0 reviews

Cats piss and puke in my jeep. Dirt? LOL



karnuvore is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
JKO Addict!
 
07unlimitedx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary Alberta
Age: 49
Posts: 2,286
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

I work in the new home industry and I am always around lots of dust... only happens a couple times a year, but I make sure my top is off and driving 60 mph and turn the vent on full... cleans it out pretty good.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07unlimitedx is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Age: 68
Posts: 6
Feedback: 0 reviews

Yes this is a REAL problem unlike the rest of the posts in the thread are making fun about!

I have a wife and daughter with asthma problems. It IS a health hazard for them to be breathing in dust when ya don't have to. One of the reasons we purchased the JK Unlimited was so the WHOLE family could get out and enjoy the back roads. When we are in a Jeep club event and the line of Jeeps ahead of us is kicking up dust it hard to stay with the group if we have to drop back so far to avoid the dust. YES THIS IS A JEEP THING!

1 month ago I was out with the 2 other Jeeps and came back home to a interior full of dust. I drive the Jeep to work every day and when I turn on the A/C I get a blast of dust each time. I have removed the vent louvers and cleaned them, but the dust collects back on them in a few days. I believe the dust has settled into some low spots within the duct tubing and works it self loose with the sudden rush of air coming through the system as start up.

Can anyone tell me where the "fresh air" intake comes from? I don't need your guess but actual knowledge of the system. I've pull the cowl apart in front of windshield and looked inside to see multiple places where air might get delivered to the A/C system. I've tried closing them off with duct tape as an experiment to see if I could reduce the amount of dust coming in. I saw no improvement.

I don't believe a fresh air filter will help especially where it is located in the system on the 2011 and newer JK's. Trying to install a filter into the same position on the 2010 and older models I believe would be a waste of time and money. Has anyone placed a filter in front of the intake to eliminate dust coming into the cabin?

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give it to those who are not."

...Thomas Jefferson
Scramblin_Jim is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 905
Feedback: 1 reviews

mine does it too.
If you put on recirculate it wouldn't do it. Just have to hit the button every time u restart the motor.

also after a big wheeling trip i would crank up the fan and flip through all the vent modes to get any dust out. That way i wouldn't get a big surprise later

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
Chris85xlt is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Age: 37
Posts: 216
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scramblin_Jim View Post
Yes this is a REAL problem unlike the rest of the posts in the thread are making fun about!

I have a wife and daughter with asthma problems. It IS a health hazard for them to be breathing in dust when ya don't have to. One of the reasons we purchased the JK Unlimited was so the WHOLE family could get out and enjoy the back roads. When we are in a Jeep club event and the line of Jeeps ahead of us is kicking up dust it hard to stay with the group if we have to drop back so far to avoid the dust. YES THIS IS A JEEP THING!

1 month ago I was out with the 2 other Jeeps and came back home to a interior full of dust. I drive the Jeep to work every day and when I turn on the A/C I get a blast of dust each time. I have removed the vent louvers and cleaned them, but the dust collects back on them in a few days. I believe the dust has settled into some low spots within the duct tubing and works it self loose with the sudden rush of air coming through the system as start up.

Can anyone tell me where the "fresh air" intake comes from? I don't need your guess but actual knowledge of the system. I've pull the cowl apart in front of windshield and looked inside to see multiple places where air might get delivered to the A/C system. I've tried closing them off with duct tape as an experiment to see if I could reduce the amount of dust coming in. I saw no improvement.

I don't believe a fresh air filter will help especially where it is located in the system on the 2011 and newer JK's. Trying to install a filter into the same position on the 2010 and older models I believe would be a waste of time and money. Has anyone placed a filter in front of the intake to eliminate dust coming into the cabin?
Here is where the air comes in for the AC, first post in the link. https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...bodyguy+intake I haven't gone mudding in quite a while so all the loose mud/dirt in there probably worked it's way through the system for me.
JDodge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome