OMG please help me.....VERY VERY LONG!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OMG please help me.....VERY VERY LONG!!!!

The main focus of posting this is I don't want to waste lots of $$$$$. I know owning a jeep is fun and well I realize that JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket. I have a daily driver for 80% of the time so my jeep and my girlfriend's jeeps are honestly more play vehicles and only in the winter months does it become a daily driver.

I am getting comments and ideas and thoughts from all over the board and well I want to just combine everything to one LONGA** thread to get as much input as possible.

This is a conglomeration of what I have written to several people.

Long story here so bear with me.

I cannot weld. I want to learn but not on my girlfriends or my jeep. I have installed about 7 lifts on JK Wranglers so I am well versed on working on them but I am not an expert by any stretch. I work on cars and motorcycles for fun and as a hobby not for my living.

We like to trail wheel (but I am not going to lie I am not going to risk killing my jeep on a trail, she probably would) but I use my jeep to tow my small trailer when picking up motorcycles or using as a stage vehicle.

First my girlfriends Jeep.
2013 JK Unlimited Sport.
She bought it from the dealer (this was 2 months before I met her so I am dealing with aftermath) with a "lift". It has 35" tires. Well we had a small outing and she ripped off the rear flairs and did other damage. It had the Rancho MyRide air ride system, it failed...shocker!!! Also as I investigated more it had stock springs with spacers. Well as a result I had to put my "cheap" 2.5" springs on her jeep and I am back to stock. She has 2.5" springs that ride terribly and some crappy shocks. I have the adjusters for her Rancho RS9000 shocks so I can put them back on. She wants 3.5" lift. Now I learn that she wants shiny shocks, so I am going to go with Aluminum body Fox shocks which are affordable and have a good ride.

Here is more on her jeep. She has front bumper with winch, rear bumper and tire carrier with 2 3gal Rotopax gas cans. In addition I have Rock Krawler front and rear track bars, AEV geometry correction brackets, exhaust spacer, and a Banks exhaust. She wants a louder exhaust and I am not sure I am going to use any of this stuff actually.

What she tells me is she really likes the way her jeep rode when it was new. What that tells me is she wants springs that have a factory like ride, not harsh and a close to factory valved shocks. Most would say ok, just get AEV kit. Well I would but she is very rough on her jeep when we go wheeling, and she doesn't like to listen. So I don't want to repair repair repair after every outing. Which is why I think I need a system with at minimum lower arms.

She also wants "RED" front and rear shackles and black isolators, she wants CB but she wants it to be like one of the classic Uniden or Cobra and a long Antanna. I want her to have a nice short Firestik but she is not having it. I know where to get most of this stuff.

So as you can see she wants her rig to "LOOK" BADA** but I want her rig to work well and not tear up super easy. I know...it's a bit of a battle.

Now for me.

I have a 2013 JKU Sahara (I got a good deal)
4.56 Nitro gears
ARB rear locker
ViAir dual piston on board air
AFE hi tuck exhaust
Raceline RT231 beadlocks
ORFAB front and rear bumpers.
I have a set of FOX reservoir adjustable shocks new in the box

I am looking for 3.5" lift. I have been told by a friend that is very credible in my opinion (head designer at ORFAB) says that I should stick with a Teraflex short arm kit. I was initially looking at Metal Cloak, Rock Krawler, Currie, and Clayton. Chris said that Teraflex is best for JKs. I will be doing moderate wheeling and this is my winter vehicle...yes Flagstaff gets snow sometimes more than I care to talk about. He said the other brands I mentioned are good but he stated they require much more maintenance than the Teraflex, would definitely listen to input on this.

I am also looking for a winch. I would like a winch with integrated solenoid, around 10,500lbs and synthetic line.

My only concern about anything is that my jeep becomes daily driver in the Winter, I drive on the Interstate commuting 100 miles round trip. 75-80 mph consistant.

From all my research I have been doing, Clevite rubber bushings are the most like factory. What this does is still gives a great ride and reduces noise and vibrations. The other thing that I have found is that with the 2 door JK the long arm is the way to go, but with the JKU the long arm tends to get in the way and caught up on rocks more often than not in our type of off roading in the west. Additionally the long arm kit on a JKU does not start providing benefit until you start going above 4.5" of lift.

With that being said, that is why I am thinking that RK is not the way to go. From my understanding RK using poly bushings in their arms. I don't have to have Teraflex, that was not my point, that is just what Chris suggested because they have had good luck with their stuff, they use Clevite rubber bushings and they have been making JK lifts from the beginning. I am not brand biased at all.

I have decided we are both sticking with 35" tires. so a 3"-4" lift is what we are looking for.

I am looking for input and will listen. I do 95% of my work (gears and welding are the only thing I won't do) and I have built 7 Jeeps now. I am not a mechanic I am a dentist. But before you get all excited I am a dentist for Indian health service so I don't make regular dentist money which is why I look for good deals.

Finally I have just started a 4x4 on Facebook, please take a moment to join, you can mention your business all you would like. "Flagstaff Guys & Girls 4x4 Club" Please join up as I am trying to grow the group.

Thank you for your time and patience with me!!!

These are not the droids you are looking for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 10:13 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I think she needs to sign up on here, since she sounds like she wheels just as hard as you do.

Lift kits are subjective like many other things, Teraflex makes solid components and their team is a great group of guys. RK is great as well, many people on here run their components and do so with great success and they are on here a lot supporting their stuff. They even have their own support thread. MC makes good stuff too. Hard to say, sounds like you have a decent budget to work with based on what you already have on your Jeep.

I believe RK uses Clevite, not poly. Obviously with a long arm you will need bracket relocation which requires welding. I'm sure some of the guys who have run one or more of some of these brands will be along soon.

Oh, and for the winch. Superwinch Talon series would be my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah....well what she says is I don't want to touch it, I just want to look BADA** and I want to get in it and go. So while I would like to get her to join up here I guarantee she won't and she does not want to have any input on what is done to it. I SWEAR that is what she says. So basically it is left up to me.

Also another consideration I forgot is maintenance, I will maintain my suspension, she will rely on me and well, while I will do it, she will not keep track of it at all. So my rig will be taken care of, and hers will be most of the time, but she will not pay much attention, until it breaks or makes noise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Granite Guru

It sounds like you are trying a little too hard to please your woman. Build yours your way and when hers keeps breaking maybe she will come around to your point of view. I think the people I wheel with would give her such a bad time for her attitude that she would not come back around. She should come on here as a lurker just to learn what does and doesn't work.
It sounds like Currie is getting their JK stuff sorted out so I would consider them as well. Gerald from Savvy Offroad just built a JK. There Is a build thread on here and It Is pretty awesome! Contact him and he can set you up with Currie stuff and give you a good deal.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Sounds like it would be easier to get rid of the girlfriend and build your Jeep how you want.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #6 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No she is a great woman. I am divorced 2 times and well I am not even close to being a kid so I know. I am giving her a bit of a hard time, she just wants to not have to worry about it. I enjoy working on it and taking care of it.

I will build my jeep as I want, I just don't want to make multiple mistakes and learn from what others have experienced and learn from their mistakes more than anything.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Granite Guru

yea until she is your wife i would tell her shes on her own lol.

I have the teraflex 8 arm kit and it's great, but if you don't wheel that hard or often which it doesn't sound like you do i would tell you it's overkill and not cheap.

get some aev brackets and springs/shocks and call it a day.....cheap and will still feel like stock yet look like you have a good lift lol
post #8 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
I am looking for 3.5" lift. I have been told by a friend that is very credible in my opinion (head designer at ORFAB) says that I should stick with a Teraflex short arm kit. I was initially looking at Metal Cloak, Rock Krawler, Currie, and Clayton. Chris said that Teraflex is best for JKs. I will be doing moderate wheeling and this is my winter vehicle...yes Flagstaff gets snow sometimes more than I care to talk about. He said the other brands I mentioned are good but he stated they require much more maintenance than the Teraflex, would definitely listen to input on this.
I'd talk to Metal Cloak about what maintenance is required. I have their lift (basic lift, w/ front upper and lower arms - will add the rear U/L arms once I get more money, or I bend something). I absolutely love it... and am very happy I waited and got exactly what I wanted. We get winter for 6+ months of the year, and this is my DD. Have done 2 separate road trips, both with a trailer (totaling around 5000 miles) and haven't had any issues.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #9 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

We're going to need pictures of her to determine what advice to give. It could range from a budget boost to a TF long arm kit depending on how she rates.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 12:37 PM
JKowners Vendor

Our frame side bushings are PTMEG which allow for full macro motion without bind like a clevite or other thermoset style bushing.. At the axle end we use our Pro Series Krawler Joints. A very large amount of your ride quality will be determined also by springs, shocks, and tire selection. Do not forget the last one as it is also very important.

If you have any questions related to our products feel free to give us a shout at 518-270-9822..

Good luck with your build..

RK
post #11 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I have a question, why does it take 3 weeks to ship some springs and a track bar?

Quote:
post #12 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 01:00 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I have a question, why does it take 3 weeks to ship some springs and a track bar?
Other people are getting them in a week, maybe it's you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #13 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 01:56 PM
It never ends...

TNT Customs has robust short arm kits for the jk. I have it on a couple of my jeeps.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode