Jacking It! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Jacking It!

It being the Jeep....

Seriously, I have no experience with a "Hi-Lift" Jack and was looking for some help. I've got a Finish Line West rear bumper coming and probably will go with the Smittybuilt SRC in the front if that matters/helps. What is the proper "jacking" points for these types of bumpers...for simple tire changes?

Also want to eventually pick up the Poision Spyder sliders...can you lift from there?

Thanks guys (and gals)

PS I hear having big tires is bad?

"It's inhabitants are as the man once said all the pimps, whores and sons of bitches by which he meant everybody" J. Steinbeck

TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift/Shocks, 35X12.50's, Black Rock Wheels, TeraFlex Steering Stabalizer, 4.88 gears, aFe CAI, aFe throttle body spacer. Finish Line West Gen 4.0 rear bumper, River Raider Evap Skid, Superchips-tuned. Smittybuilt SRC Front Bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Rock God

I've jacked mine from the factory rock rails, rear hitch d-ring and the d-rings on my Rugged Ridge bumper.

BTW Big tires are bad.
They cost more than the mall crawler tires.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #3 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

For changing tires you are better off using a bottle jack under the axle. Depending on where you are, it's usually safer and a lot less work than dragging the hi-lift out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
BTW Big tires are bad.
This catches faster then the clap in Thailand! LOL

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was wondering if hooking into the d-rings would work....I guess Hi-Lift makes the attachment with the hooks on it for that purpose? Thanks!

"It's inhabitants are as the man once said all the pimps, whores and sons of bitches by which he meant everybody" J. Steinbeck

TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift/Shocks, 35X12.50's, Black Rock Wheels, TeraFlex Steering Stabalizer, 4.88 gears, aFe CAI, aFe throttle body spacer. Finish Line West Gen 4.0 rear bumper, River Raider Evap Skid, Superchips-tuned. Smittybuilt SRC Front Bumper.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

For safety and proper use, hi lift has a series of videos on youtube that are worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hiliftjacks

Regarding jack points... obviously it differs depending on mods, but I've got 2 built in point on my warn rear bumper, I've jacked from the rock rails, and my front LOD stubby as well (although I didnt really like the positioning I had on this).

Joe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
post #7 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey thanks for the link....that was helpful.

post #8 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 PM
fnc
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
I've jacked mine from the factory rock rails
+2

Done it plenty of times and haven't had any real issues. Be sure to make sure your Jeep is stable and won't move, thus causing the jack to either fall out from underneath the Jeep or slam into the side of it causing damage. Hasn't happened to me but I did come close to having the jack push into the side of my Jeep once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 PM
JKO Addict!

do what?

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #10 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad529 View Post
It being the Jeep....

Seriously, I have no experience with a "Hi-Lift" Jack and was looking for some help. I've got a Finish Line West rear bumper coming and probably will go with the Smittybuilt SRC in the front if that matters/helps. What is the proper "jacking" points for these types of bumpers...for simple tire changes?

Also want to eventually pick up the Poision Spyder sliders...can you lift from there?

Thanks guys (and gals)

PS I hear having big tires is bad?
~ Joe's YouTube link to manf how-to videos is a *great* place to start.
~ Strap the jack so if it does kick out it doesn't fly and hit you.
~ Shackles are a good attachment point.
~ Make sure to strap the axel (or run a bottle jack/rock/something under the diff) so it doesn't just continually droop as you jack.
~ I am a fan of putting the spare under the frame rail so if something bad happens, the vehicle would land on it and give some room.... I'd hate to have my mellon squashed by a accident.

Regarding those PS sliders.... I don't see why not, BUT.... I was with a guy last weekend that we had to use a jack on and he didn't want to use the PS sliders... he was afraid to damage them. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited by abendx; 01-12-2010 at 11:23 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
do what?
HAHAHAHA!

JKOutcast
post #12 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
do what?
Not at the table Carlos! Haha Weenis.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are changing a tire it is best to jack from the axle of course. I think many don't realize how unsafe a hi-lift really is, and should be used minimally.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
This catches faster then the clap in Thailand! LOL
Gosh those were the days....standing in line for the old penicillin shot and hoping they would not report you to your CO. Sorry was drifting again..What was the question about oh yeah jacking up with a hi-lift. Just be careful.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"

Last edited by Born2run; 01-13-2010 at 07:51 AM.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks again folks.... I hadn't really thought about the complications (risks?) with the Hi-Lift but I guess at some point it could be necessary...so Thanks again...Damn I Love this Site!

...even if it caused me to spend all my money and now they tell me I'm going to have a bent axel.....shiioottt

post #16 of 19 Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Granite Guru

Read here https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19792

2008 JKU Rubicon, AEV, Rock Krawler, Poly Performance, Poison Spyder
post #17 of 19 Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
If you are changing a tire it is best to jack from the axle of course. I think many don't realize how unsafe a hi-lift really is, and should be used minimally.
I think most people don't realize that a Hi-Lift jack is not meant for and should not be used for changing tires. You have your stock jack that came with the Jeep for that. Hi-Lifts were made to help get you out of tough situations like deep mud and whatnot. Heck I think they usually come with a paper that has a disclaimer on it stating just that.

Yes...my first post here. I was a lurker.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad529 View Post
I was wondering if hooking into the d-rings would work....I guess Hi-Lift makes the attachment with the hooks on it for that purpose? Thanks!
I just flip the d ring up, loop a rag through to protect the powder coat on the bumper and fit the tongue of the Hilift in the d ring. Those hook things Hi-lift makes are for hooking on your rims, which is absolutely useless if you plan on changing your tire. My 4' Hi-lift will get me up just enough to lift the tire at full droop if I don't feel like fooling with tying off the axle (assuming my swaybar is connected).

I disagree on the safety issue... I think these jacks can be very safe if you pay attention to what you're doing, use them within the scope of their design, and have a rudimentary understanding of physics (especially gravity). If the jack leans too far it will fall. Make every effort to jack on level ground. Chock your wheels, remember there is no e-brake in the front so if you're raising the rear of the vehicle chock the fronts extra well.

If conditions aren't ideal, i.e. not perfectly level ground, a second pair of eyes is a good idea. The worse the situation, the more you'll want a spotter. Whether you subscribe to the "use it almost never" school of thought or the "use it every chance I get" school, it's still a good idea to practice with it in your driveway until you get the hang of it. The time to learn how to operate your jack is NOT when you're out on a trail with a flat. Be prepared-- become comfortable using the tool so that you will understand how and when it is best used.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #19 of 19 Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
JKO Addict!

I use a ratchet strap to secure my axle close to the frame. Then when you jack up the jeep, the suspension doesn't droop so much, Works great actually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode