Stock JKU subwoofer remove/relocate questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-04-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ
Stock JKU subwoofer remove/relocate questions

I'm considering removing the subwoofer from my 2012 JKU (and replacing with a non-sub plastic panel) in order to garner a bit more space. I'm thinking of removing the stock sub and replacing with a Kicker Hideaway sub mounted either under the drivers seat (I have the ARB dual compressors under the passengers seat) or mount it to the underside of the rear seat so as not to interfere with the folding of the rear seat.

My primary goal is to garner space and retain (or improve) the sound quality over stock. I'm no longer the audiophile I used to be (too many concerts, shooting and age has taken it's toll) so this is not about boom boom bass.

A couple questions and seeking advice:

1) would mounting under the drivers seat be too annoying from a vibration perspective? (preference would be the passenger seat, but as noted, there isn't room with the ARB dual compressors mounted there)

2) would I be able to re-route and re-use the speaker wires that are stock to the rear sub to the Kicker? (I've read where others have tapped into either the sound-bar wires or from behind the head unit)

3) Is there a market for selling the stock subwoofer and panel for those who don't have the upgraded stereo?

4) Any other advice before I pull the trigger on the new sub and rear panel?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Granite Guru

In, I want to do the same thing
post #3 of 4 Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Wheeler

There is a market for the factory subs, look on ebay for an example. If you would re-use the sub in another location, I'd surely be interested in the remaining enclosure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-06-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankey85 View Post
There is a market for the factory subs, look on ebay for an example. If you would re-use the sub in another location, I'd surely be interested in the remaining enclosure.
Thanks.
I see several on ebay that are new and they aren't cheep. Most are asking between $299 and up to $449 (not that they will get it) Mine has a couple years of use, and not as pristine, but would be a deal for someone looking for an inexpensive and easy upgrade. I figure it's worth $100.

I got a price from my local dealer on the replacement panel for the rear (non-sub) and with a local forum discount, it's $115 ($154 retail)

I did some more investigation, and I thought there would be enough room to mount the Kicker Hideaway under the rear seat, but it doesn't look as if there will be enough clearance when the seat is folded.

So the primary option for me looks to be under the driver's seat. I've read comments on other forums about that location providing a "butt massage" which is funny and all, but curious if it would get annoying after a while. I suppose much of it depends on how high you have the gain turned up.

Does anyone here have a sub mounted under the driver's seat who can provide some first hand (or first butt) experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode