Ok I give, anyone willing to give a lift/tire opinions to a noob? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok I give, anyone willing to give a lift/tire opinions to a noob?

Well, I've been lurking and searching here and elsewhere for a while now. I never realized modifying this Jeep would be more difficult than the several grand I put into my Mustang. I was hoping maybe you guys could help steer me a little bit here, because each time I think I have a plan, I seem to find information that leads me to believe that plan is... bad, lol.

So here is where I'm at. The Jeep is stock (except for a Superchips flashpaq which I got for Christmas from my better half). Its an '09 Rubicon 2-door with an automatic. As much as I'd love to 'wheel this thing, lets face it, its just not going to happen that often as I'm currently stuck in Dallas, Texas. I plan to move back out west because I miss it terribly, but that might be another 2 years (kid in high school here, etc). So for now, its going to be 98% 'mall' unfortunately.

I really don't need additional capability over a standard Rubi for my purposes, but I would like to lift the Jeep up a bit, level it out, and fit some larger tires under it. I have been thinking about 315/75/16s which are about a 34.5" I believe. Is there any level of lift that I can do to this Jeep that isn't going to trigger a chain reaction of additional mods or premature failure of stock components? Its my daily driver at the moment, and I really just want it to remain reliable. I can afford to fix it if it breaks, but I'd just rather not go there now. Can I go with something like a 2" - 2.5" spacer lift or other <insert lift here you may know about> with which I'd be able to run those 34.5's without putting stress on the driveshaft(s) etc etc etc? If not, what about just running 33x12.5's on 16" wheels and clearing those off-road? I just want to make sure if I do 'wheel it, that I'm not easily rubbing all over the place.

2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Well, this is easy. Since you have a Jeep you have a crazy good wheeling rig allready. Just do the 2" - 2.5" spacer lift and go 35" tires and you are done. You will be on the stock springs so ride won't change and it will still be very reliable. No "chain reaction" (like I'm into right now) Also, some good wheeling in the Dallas area. Let me know if you need info on where to wheel.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 01-13-2010 at 08:33 PM.
post #3 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Cool man, thanks for the info. I'm not a stranger to modifying vehicles, but just new to the Jeep stuff. I am very familiar with the mod "slippery slope" and I'd like to just avoid that on this Jeep for a couple of years anyway. Do you have any recommendations on the spacer lift in terms of brand?

And yeah, any 'wheeling info you might have for Dallas area would be cool. I've been thinking about looking around for a local Jeep club, but just haven't gotten around to it yet...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Here is just one brand of spacer lift. They are all around 2" to 2.5" and don't cost much.
http://www.offroaders.com/directory/...-Superlift.htm

Wheeling:
This place is fun and less than an hour from you.
http://www.cityofbridgeport.net/index.aspx?nid=322

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #5 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

go with a 2.5" teraflex spring/shock kit and 35s....that's what I did with BLUERUBI (look at the link below for more pictures of what your Jeep would look like).

U.S. Army
post #6 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

id defently do the 2.5 spring and shock lift by teraflex. teraflex spring ride better than stocl imo and they'll hold aftermarket bumpers better.

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
post #7 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I seem to keep reading that the 2.5" spring/shock lift on a 2-door is going to yield more than 2.5" of lift in the end and will put me on the track to problems with both the front and rear shafts..? That is exactly what I was trying to avoid... I really just wanted to take a small step for starters to improve the stance of the vehicle. I know the tendency is there to want to go as extreme as possible, but really that just doesn't make sense for me at the moment. If I can get some 33's or preferably 35's under there and maintain stock-like reliability, that will be a win for now. Later on I would probably go all out...

Last edited by Mudflap; 01-12-2010 at 09:22 AM.
post #8 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
I seem to keep reading that the 2.5" spring/shock lift on a 2-door is going to yield more than 2.5" of lift in the end and will put me on the track to problems with both the front and rear shafts..? That is exactly what I was trying to avoid...
The Teraflex lifts will typically give you more height than what's advertised. This is to compensate for bumpers, winches, gear, and big heavy spares.

On the two door you will run into poor DS angles quickly. I don't know that the 2.5" will put you there though. You'd have to find out from someone running it.
post #9 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Well, this is easy. Since you have a Jeep you have a crazy good wheeling rig allready. Just do the 2" - 2.5" spacer lift and go 35" tires and you are done. You will be on the stock springs so ride won't change and it will still be very reliable. No "chain reaction" (like I'm into right now) Also, some good wheeling in the Dallas area. Let me know if you need info on where to wheel.
Oh, and I fixed this.
post #10 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
The Teraflex lifts will typically give you more height than what's advertised. This is to compensate for bumpers, winches, gear, and big heavy spares.

On the two door you will run into poor DS angles quickly. I don't know that the 2.5" will put you there though. You'd have to find out from someone running it.
Yeah I've been researching exactly this and have found many reports of people having issues with the 2.5" kits. Some got 50 yards onto a trail and ripped the front boot, some had their rear shafts last 20,000 miles before dying, etc. Apparently these problems are mostly on the 2-doors. I was hoping to perhaps avoid those issues for now with just a spacer lift. The logic being that the spacer lift can't possibly lift the thing more than the height of the spacers... I could be off base though.

post #11 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Rock God

If you want to avoid hitting the 2.5" mark you could look into putting 4dr higher rated rubi springs on and that will net you 1.5-2" from peoples testimony. Do a search for rubi springs on standard x and you should find info on it. Also, aberle offroad (vendor here) has an aluminum 2" puck spacer for like $150.

~ Clam
post #12 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What's the budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #13 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Rock God

I have the TF 2.5 and Rubi springs and the results are no problems. See my pic.

Name:  Snow 12-19-09 010.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  144.3 KB

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #14 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

IMO, go with the TeraFlex 2.5" BB. Cheap, simple, effective and you are guaranteed ONLY 2.5" of lift. There are a few minor things to add such as longer swaybar links (just get longer rears and move the original rear links up front), shock extensions and either longer brake lines or the extension brackets. You will eventually want to add either adjustable trackbars or trackbar brackets but this is not a showstopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #15 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
What's the budget?
It really doesn't matter much honestly. I could dump $5k+ into the thing. I really just don't need additional capability right now however, so while I *could* go all out, all I'm looking to do is just get a better stance, and a cooler look, without sacrificing stock reliability and also without rubbing like mad in some light wheeling. I know for a fact I won't be doing any hardcore wheeling any time soon, so why outlay the cash? I have a few things I still want for my Mustang as well, and given this Jeep is my daily driver in the end, I just don't want to inflict too much change on it for now. When we move out west within the next few years, I'll pull the ripcord...

I had been set to do the Teraflex 2.5" with the springs and new shocks and 35's, but now I've found all sorts of info saying on a 2-door, thats basically initiating the timebomb on the front and rear axles (the front, particularly because I have an auto, the rear because of the extreme angle of the shaft given the lift will do more than 2.5" in reality).

post #16 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
IMO, go with the TeraFlex 2.5" BB. Cheap, simple, effective and you are guaranteed ONLY 2.5" of lift. There are a few minor things to add such as longer swaybar links (just get longer rears and move the original rear links up front), shock extensions and either longer brake lines or the extension brackets. You will eventually want to add either adjustable trackbars or trackbar brackets but this is not a showstopper.

and better yet- you can get that whole kit (minus the front TB bracket/adj TB) from TF for $300.

~ Clam
post #17 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post

Yeah I've been looking at that one on their site. They do have a BB variant that comes with shocks also. Do you guys have any opinions on whether that would be worth it? Given that I'd still be using the stock springs, I assume the maximum lift would still be 2.5"? I would think perhaps the shocks might offer more articulation...

post #18 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Wheeler

In addition to the other ideas given here, take a look at the TF leveling kit. It will give you 2" in front and 1" in back. So it's not as extreme and shouldn't cause the problems you're worried about with the 2.5" lift. It should easily clear a 33" tire if not a 34". If you want 35s you may add a body lift with a little trimming to give you the extra clearance. Just another idea for you.

2017 4 Door Rubicon
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik
post #19 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Rock God

TerraFlex 2.5" BB Kit which includes the longer swaybar links, shock extensions and the rear trackbar extension bracket. This is all you need to run 35" tires. Its good for light wheeling and daily driving. However if you do go with 35" you will either need spacers to use the stock wheels or choose a wheel with 4.5 - 5" backspace.
I've been running this setup on my 08 for a year and a half and love it. We will be adding this same setup to my son's 07 2dr very soon..

My 08 compared to stock 07.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 01-12-2010 at 10:17 AM.
post #20 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
TerraFlex 2.5" BB Kit which includes the longer swaybar links, shock extensions and the rear trackbar extension bracket. This is all you need to run 35" tires. Its good for light wheeling and daily driving. However if you do go with 35" you will either need spacers to use the stock wheels or choose a wheel with 4.5 - 5" backspace.
I've been running this setup on my 08 for a year and a half and love it. We will be adding this same setup to my son's 07 2dr very soon..
Yeah this may be the ticket. You are running the stock shocks then? Also, whats the backspacing on those 16" wheels? You are running the exact tire size I've been looking at.

post #21 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Rock God

Back space is 4.5" and yes I am running the stock Sahara shocks (the Rubi shocks are better BTW). If or untill you are ready to do heavy wheeling this is a cheap and easy way to get some height and still be a DD maintaining reliability.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #22 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Anyone have experience running the Teraflex BB with the Teraflex shocks? I am wondering if the shocks would be worth it over my Rubi ones...

post #23 of 37 Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

I agree with JTPHOTO. Get the TF 2.5 BB kit with the shock spacers and be done with it for now. It is economical and if you decide to want more in the future, you didn't lose much into this setup. You will have a complete kit including the correct bump stops for 35s. You may have to end up trimming some of the rear of the rubi rock rail and pinch seam, but it is really trivial once you get over taking a Sawsall to the sheet metal.

The rubi shocks aren't bad either.... no need to replace.
post #24 of 37 Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Anyone have experience running the Teraflex BB with the Teraflex shocks? I am wondering if the shocks would be worth it over my Rubi ones...
From what I've read, the TF shocks are far better than the X or Sahara shocks but the rubi ones are much better. There isn't as big of a difference between them and the TF shocks.

2017 4 Door Rubicon
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik
post #25 of 37 Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Rock God

Sure, do the 2.5" and 35's,

and next year the 4" and 37's,

and then the 5.5" and 40's the next year,

or just go straight to the 5.5" and 40's and save a lot of time and money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode