problem between 30-45 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Unhappy problem between 30-45

I know this has been beaten quite a bit on here but i still can't figure this one out. I bought my 07 jk in March last year already had a 3" lift and 35" tires. after i got it the dealer would not touch the lift or front end so I found a reputable shop to look at it because the front end started shaking at high speeds. They fixed it by rotating and balancing the tires, replacing the SS and mount that was put in the wrong place, realigned it. I had no problems with it until about 3 months ago when it started shaking between 30-40. It was also due for regular maintenance so i took it back to the dealer and they did all the usual stuff and said take it to the shop. So I take it to the shop they tell me that the SS is good but the track bar, Long Tie Rod End, Drag Link, Upper Drag Link End, Tie Rod End all need to be replaced so I said do it. Everything was replaced so basically I have a new steering set up. They also realigned everything again. So a few days pass and it starts doing it again. I call the shop they said bring it in and they would look at it again. Then they check the balance on the tires and re-adjust them after the dealer didn't when it was in earlier that week. They can't find anything wrong other than to tell me that the tires need to be run out and it will fix itself. This was about a month ago and it still does it. Then the other day I am driving about 35 and turning on a light left curve and the jeep starts to woble and I have to slow down to get it to stop. I am getting to the point that I am anoyyed every time I drive it. Does any one have any other ideas that I and they might have missed or not thought of?

Sorry for the lengthy post. And thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Granite Guru

I had the same problem with my old TJ, checked joints, balance etc, turned out I had a broken belt in one of the front tires, I swapped in the spare and the shimmy was gone

this might be the problem, but not 100%

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Bad ball joints, and a qualified shop needs to check the torque on the control arms and the front/ rear track-bar.....but NOT that shop. Also have someone re-check your other areas- drag-link ends/ tie-rod ends/ etc....although thats not the cause of the DW. The only other thing (if all this checks out along with the tire balance), would be pinion angle....which is a possibility also.

Ball-joints good?
Track-bar(s) torqued?
Correct pinion angle?

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

I had the same problem, replaced the same stuff, and still had issues until I replaced the pitman arm with a drop arm. It returned all my geometry to normal and haven't had a problem since.

aka- Brian
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08' JKU on 38's... parted out and SOLD
13' JKU Rubi... On HOLD, 04' LJ to suppliment
Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

Stub has a good point. Have it looked at again, but at a different shop. You may need a fresh set of eyes looking at it.

Also, based on what Andy said, Look at how much lead is on your wheels. See if one has an unusual amount of more lead than the rest.

Or maybe some lead fell off after it was applied.?? This has happened to me before.

Also keep in mind, sometimes before a person buys tires, they may have been stored for long periods of time. For example: Let's say the tires were stacked. Well the bottom tire takes ALL of the weight and causes it to be out of round or just mis-shaped. This also has happened to me before.

JAT, If you have the ability to slap on a differen't set of tires, to see if in fact it is a tire issue..do so.
I have factory 32's off my 2008 JK in the barn.. Just sayin'

My guess is the original owner dumped the vehicle because of this problem.

Good Luck!!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

thanks to all so far:

Ball joints were looked at by another shop and said they were good but would need them later.

trac bar was good

one of the rims was bent but it is on the back now and it did it both before and after being rotated.

didn't replace the pitman arm yet.

wish i had a set of tires to put on it. to see if it was just the tires i have now. Guess that gives me a reason to change them. but i will def. look into a new pitman arm. that definitely could be the reason the guy got rid of it. i will check this stuff and get back. thanks for the input.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Wheeler

How did the rim bend? If it got curb checked real hard, you could have numerous issues!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

don't know the rim was like that when i got it. I had everything checked when i got it everything was straight. I looked up under the front and i can't tell if the pitman arm was replaced or not so i am going to do that first. and a buddy of mine is a mechanic he thinks i should go ahead and change the wheels out. So i am looking for them now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode