Passenger A-pillar creak when passenger fron tire hits a bump - bolts are tight... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-31-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Angry Passenger A-pillar creak when passenger fron tire hits a bump - bolts are tight...

I've read 2 dozen threads on the above problem and have spent about 6-8 hours trying to get the "creak" to go away...

I got the creak to go away for a month or so by getting the windshield in a "sweet spot" before tightening the (3) bolts in the upper corner... After a 2000 mile roadtrip, the creak is back... Now, I've spent 6+ hours tearing down and refitting everything, and cannot get it t stop... I've loosened all of the bolts, removed the outer plates, cleaned everything, re-assembled per manual/forum(s)... I tried some polybutyl rubber (flashing tape) between the windshield and support bar... I've tried semi-tight to "almost break the bolt" tight... It's not the plastic (It still creaks w/o any a-pillar plastic, visor or visor trim installed... It creaks with the freedom panels removed...

A few months back, I loosened the (3) bolts, put a little forward pressure on the windshield frame while tightening the bolts, and the creak went away for a month or so until a roadtrip on our "not-so-smooth" american highways...

I am at a loss... Any ideas?

I'm ready to trade this vehicle... It's that annoying... I refuse to accept that it's "just jeep rattles and creaks"...

2012 Unlimited Rubicon, 39,000 miles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-31-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Update: I replaced the bolts with grade 8 equivalent... No difference... When it cools down this evening, I'll take it all apart again...
post #3 of 15 Old 08-31-2014, 02:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Tried spraying any lube in there?

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Tried spraying any lube in there?
Yeah, I've done that... Can't decide if I want lube or a tight rigid fit... When I disassembled everything this past week, I actually folded the windshield partially down, so that I could see the top of the support bar... Looks like a couple spots where the metal is worn (shiny)... I tried putting weatherstripping on those areas... Maybe some synthetic grease on those areas instead?
post #5 of 15 Old 08-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Rock God

Hard top bolts. It is often a source of creaking for me. There is one bolt on each side up top where the freedom top meets the rest of the hard top.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 PM
V8 dreams

I feel your pain. Been lookin for a rattle with my new to me softop, and now my passenger door sounds like it's gonna fall off sometimes. It's just a pet peeve of mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #7 of 15 Old 09-01-2014, 04:33 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Jeebus H. Christ, it's a fuckin' Jeep.........Dewd. Trade it in and get yourself
Prius.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #8 of 15 Old 09-01-2014, 05:30 AM
JKO Addict!

I had a similar creak sound from what I thought was the a pillar. It was actually the sun visor. I just righted up the bolts. Creak gone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 15 Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
I had a similar creak sound from what I thought was the a pillar. It was actually the sun visor. I just righted up the bolts. Creak gone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
How weird……..My right side visor did the she thing and solved a similar noise! It may have helped that I took it on a hard trail too!!

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-01-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the responses... I think I've managed to cure it for now... I removed the windshield plates, and added a small piece of rubber flashing tape to anywhere there appeared to be metal-on-metal contact as well as a small piece where the plate looks like it comes in contact with the cowl... Hope it lasts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Jeebus H. Christ, it's a fuckin' Jeep.........Dewd. Trade it in and get yourself
Prius.
As for this response...

You Sir, are the reason car manufacturers continue to put out POS vehicles... $40,000 for a vehicle that leaks, creaks, and rattles after 30,000 miles... And, you're OK with that? Really? What a shame... I work too hard for my money to make payments on a vehicle that irritates me due to poor workmanship/materials... Had I purchased a mid-90's jeep for $4000, I would expect a few issues...

I've owned tandem dump trucks, 1-tons, 3/4 tons, and 1/2 ton work trucks that put this Jeep to shame quality-wise...

It's a pet peeve of mine... I like peace and quiet while I am in my vehicle... And trust me, if I can't get it worked out, I'll sell/trade it in a heartbeat...

"it's a fuckin' Jeep" is an excuse only a moron would use... You are free to waste your money any way you choose... Good luck!
post #11 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Granite Guru

I agree with cajun, you bought the wrong vehicle man. If you want peace and quiet you should look in to something else designed for it or else you are just as bad as the soccer moms running around with the hard top on all day every day.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Granite Guru

not sure if you have the HT or not but what's annoyed me is the hard top panels creaking. turns out the rubber pads wear out, which allows some creaking. that and the door's being loose on the strikers. some electrical tape on that has made my jeep nice and quiet again. just an idea for you to check yours.

Mike M

2013 2dr rubi
MC 2.5", Fox RR TF tuned shocks, TF carrier, Viair, TL's and so on...... still on stock tires
post #13 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Granite Guru

I got your fix...TURN UP THE RADIO! Fixed mine, havnt heard it come back!

OIF
post #14 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Wheeler

Thumbs up

To the original poster...I am with you on this one. I don't care what it is, it shouldn't be making noises like that. Yes, the Jeeps are bricks so I understand the wind noise but after owning so many, I would never let anything like creaking, knocking, or something else like this go just because "it's a Jeep".

FWIW - when I picked up the last Jeep, I had a knocking noise coming from the firewall/foot area. Over 50mph, it got so loud that you couldn't drown it out even with the windows open...as it turned out, some of the push-lock fasteners broke and the fenderwell liners were flapping away.

It will take some detective work but you'll find it. Just like anything else, it is probably something small right in front of you...I was in the engine compartment, under the dash, I pulled the carpet thinking it was wiring, etc.

Jeff
'01, '03 TJ's
'06 XK
'13 JKU & WK2
post #15 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Prius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM JK View Post
I agree with cajun, you bought the wrong vehicle man. If you want peace and quiet you should look in to something else designed for it or else you are just as bad as the soccer moms running around with the hard top on all day every day.
I wasn't asking for opinions... I was asking for help with a problem...

Thanks to those who posted helpful info. I think it is good to go...

I don't understand why people feel the need to post worthless comments... I guess this is a forum that I need to "lose my password to"...

Maybe peace and quiet is the wrong description... Basically, I don't want to listen to a vehicle that sounds like it is falling apart... And yes, I prefer the hardtop... I often carry a payload of expensive gear that I do not want stolen... I don't care for wind noise... Doesn't make my Jeep any less capable... I bought a Rubicon on purpose. I bought the Jeep for it's capabilities, but still expect a quality product. Doesn't make me a "soccer mom type"... I've probably been on more offroad trails than both of you combined...

I don't know you and you don't know me, so if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode