Teraflex Tire Carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Teraflex Tire Carrier

Installed my new Teraflex Tire Carrier last night. I have to thank a couple of venders, Discount Tire Direct because I won the wheels in the pic from them. That allowed me to sell my old wheels and use the proceeds to buy this carrier from Jason at KrawlOff-Road. He gave me the best price I could find online, PM him if you want one.

OK enough of that Time for PICS:
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I was searching for DIY accessory mounts for the TF tire carrier to see what others had come up with but didn't find much. I'm still looking if anyone has any ideas.

Anyway I stumbled across a thread on wayoflife bashing and dismissing the adjustable tire carrier portion as dangerous junk. Apparently Eddie saw one break on a friends JK... The claim is that the weld between the tire mounting plate and the inner tube portion broke. Is this a single rare incident or is there a known problem? Anyone else have a problem with the tire carrier? My gut says it has something to do with Eddie not getting enough sponsor money from TF but I thought I would ask.

I know it will be difficult but please don't turn this into another thread that has to be merged with the others.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Bla bla bla

Anything stamped TF he (they) bash including my rear TB bracket when I was over there.

Looks like TF added a brace to strengthen the carrier. You're fine man.

Looks great .. Congrats on the win.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKommuter View Post
I was searching for DIY accessory mounts for the TF tire carrier to see what others had come up with but didn't find much. I'm still looking if anyone has any ideas.

Anyway I stumbled across a thread on wayoflife bashing and dismissing the adjustable tire carrier portion as dangerous junk. Apparently Eddie saw one break on a friends JK... The claim is that the weld between the tire mounting plate and the inner tube portion broke. Is this a single rare incident or is there a known problem? Anyone else have a problem with the tire carrier? My gut says it has something to do with Eddie not getting enough sponsor money from TF but I thought I would ask.

I know it will be difficult but please don't turn this into another thread that has to be merged with the others.
I believe TF came out with an updated part that is gusseted to prevent breakage. U have to take anything Eddie says with a grain of salt anytime its not a product that he is selling.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM
JKowners Vendor

Looking good and congrats on the win!

As for the carrier... you wont have any issues. No worries. I could not tell you HOW many of these we have running around out there. We have NEVER once had a issue with them. I would not think twice about it!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #6 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Rock God

Looks great man, and congrats again on the win!
post #7 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Ohhhh lorday! The sky gonna crack open and brimstone gonna rain down! That adjuster is gonna snap off and bounce several miles down the road and blow up a nursing home! I hope you happy withum yo purchase Mista! You with da devil now Mista!

I really need to pony up the dough and get one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

Looks good! I agree I need to order one of these, Im in the market for one as well.

OIF
post #9 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Granite Guru

It looks good and TF did change and beef-up the adjustable portion. One thing I saw, you need to adjust the carrier so your tire sits snug against the hinge portion.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Wheeler

Looks great and congrats on the win

My turn to thread hi-jack! :-)

Anybody figure out how to mount a 48" hi-lift jack to this carrier? And more specifically how to mount it so the jack does not stick up past the JK roof line?? Please say yes and supply details!
post #11 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 02:12 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Looks great and congrats on the win

My turn to thread hi-jack! :-)

Anybody figure out how to mount a 48" hi-lift jack to this carrier? And more specifically how to mount it so the jack does not stick up past the JK roof line?? Please say yes and supply details!
TF has an optional mount that will mount a jack. It places the jack vertically which is opposite of your desire. You would have to make a custom horizontal mount of somekind to accomplish keeping it below the roofline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Wheeler

Hmmm. Thanks. I might have to call them to get details on their jack-mount interface to see if I can come up with something. I would want to be fairly sure I could succeed before dropping coin on the carrier!
post #13 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Hmmm. Thanks. I might have to call them to get details on their jack-mount interface to see if I can come up with something. I would want to be fairly sure I could succeed before dropping coin on the carrier!
I have an accessory mount for sale. It doesn't work with 40's...

Rick
post #14 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Bla bla bla

Anything stamped TF he (they) bash including my rear TB bracket when I was over there.

Looks like TF added a brace to strengthen the carrier. You're fine man.

Looks great .. Congrats on the win.
there are other jeep boards? Well..........................I never would have guessed it. LOL Those rims look killer on there, congrats.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Rock God

I like the carrier and I like the wheels.

It sucks about the jack mount not working with 40"s.
I am currently 37"s and 6" lift. I am thinking off going 40"s and 4"lift. I would have the belly height I want plus it will look good. Lol

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #16 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
It looks good and TF did change and beef-up the adjustable portion. One thing I saw, you need to adjust the carrier so your tire sits snug against the hinge portion.
Good call. I cut down one of the daystar spacers I was using to put on the handle side, and pulled the tire in about 3/8" so it' snugs up against the hinge.

Thanks for all the compliments I like the look and it's definitely more stout that the stock hinges and tire carrier.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Granite Guru

Very lucky on winning and that's one awesome carrier around, fits perfectly to your rear. Nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode