Need help picking out fenders - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Need help picking out fenders

Im looking at ordering some fenders in the next few day and would like to see some pics and thought on whats out there. Im looking at Poison spyder narrow aluminum. But also like genright but they dont offer a narrow that I know of.

What are the pros and cons of going aluminum over steel? I know they are lighter and wont rust but how do they handle hits?

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 06:22 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the standard width PS fenders.

- The install was stupid easy (did all the nutcerts in probably 15 minutes).
- The fit was pretty good (there's a few gaps that most people wouldn't even notice).
- As for strength... My fat ass has stood on them and they didn't even budge.
I've scraped them on some small trees, nothing they couldn't handle.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #3 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Do you have Aluminum or steel?

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 06:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestespd5 View Post
Do you have Aluminum or steel?
I have the steel ones.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #5 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211073

Crawler Conceptz. Another option from a Vendor.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #6 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Granite Guru

Both PS and Genright are top notch. I have PS but really like Genright. IMHO steel it the only option if you wheel even somewhat hard stuff. I regretted buying steel after I realized the added weight. After I wheeled it, I can without doute see the steel has scratches where the alum would be gouged deep. Buy what you want end use it often so you get your money's worth
post #7 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Rock God

the flat fender style is becoming huge...

http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet...-Fender/Detail

Free Shipping on web site orders over $50
Use Promo code JEEP10 for 10% off web site orders

Open 9-6 M-F 10-1 Saturday 706-534-9955
post #8 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211073

Crawler Conceptz. Another option from a Vendor.
Another vote for Crawler Concepts and Shad's an awesome guy to work with.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Rock God

I have standard PSC aluminum and I am very happy.. However if at the time of that purchase the Crawler concepts were available I would probably have purchased those instead.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I have had a number of sets of the Poison Spyder flares and I've found that the steel fits better than the aluminum versions. I prefer the narrow over the standard width if they are legal in your area or you just don't care.

Crawler Conceptz new flares are pretty gnarly looking too. Looking forward to seeing his narrow version.

Here's a couple of pics of mine over the years for your viewing pleasure.

Narrow:

Standard:

Marcus

post #11 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

I run standard width Poison Spyder Aluminum.

I like the weight reduction over Steel. (I run steel skids and rock rails, so any savings helps with these heavy JKU's) I had them powder coated black, and when I get into the rocks, I just hit the scraped area with some rattle can black. Aluminum does gouge more than steel, and that's one of the reasons I have steel skids and PS rock brawlers - they are in the rocks a LOT more than the fenders are. In fact, I've only hit the fenders once, and I do a lot of rock crawling here in AZ.

I like the look of the narrow, but there are a couple things to consider. Depending on how wide of a stance you have, you will have a good portion of the tire outside of the fender. This can be a problem with mud (yes, we have the occasional rain/mud here in AZ) being thrown onto, and if you have your doors and top of, into the jeep. The 2nd thing to consider is how your law enforcement folks are with the fender-coverage laws in your state. Some states are sticklers on that - so just something to consider.

The PS are a pain to install - all the nut inserts take time - but they are very strong.
[IMG]

[/IMG]
post #12 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

Another vote for PS. Very well-made stuff. Other good options out there, but the PS just appeal to me visually more than the others.

Hmmm, just realized I don't have any good pics after the install of the Crusher Corners and Brawler Rockers. I'll have to remedy that. Here's a crappy one though:

I have the Aluminum and they took a bit of a hit on Fordyce Creek a few weeks ago at Sierra Trek, as did the Aluminum Brawler Rockers.

Great thing about aluminum though, is when they get scratched, gouged, or whatever (as they all will, even steel) they don't rust like steel. That gives you time and options on what to do after the damage occurs.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #13 of 16 Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Wheeler

Fenders

I went with the xrc flat fenders by smittybilt, I was being a cheap ass but if I could do it again I would have spent the money and got metalcloak fender flares!
post #14 of 16 Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I personally have PS and I do like their products, my only piece of advice would be to stay away from the plastic, bushwacker type for two reasons. The first reason is that I can stand on my steel fenders and I am sure that you could stand on aluminum, you can't stand on plastic ones. Even though I have only had to stand on them once or twice I can do it. The second reason is if you hit a tree with a bushwacker it looks like a grenade goes off. I have seen two or three pairs just disintegrate and they are not a cheap fender flare.

Rodney
Famous Last Words
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"
post #15 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 03:00 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Poison Spyder ftw

I've got 9/10ths of my weight on the flare in this pic. I weigh about 215.

I Do wish the rear flares were a bit wider. The tires fling everything up & it just sits on the flares like they are a shelf for mud. Kinda sucks, but otherwise I like em. I'd get em again in a heartbeat.

07 Unlimited Rubicon Rescue Green
37 IROKS, 5.38 Gears, 6Spd, 3.5" lift Poison Spyder front bumper, 8k XRC winch, Smittybilt Atlas rear bumper, Poison Spyder fender flares, Rigid Fog lights, Superchips tuner, Hydro assist, HID projector headlights, HD/custom tie rod & drag link, sound system, custom tree damage.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoub View Post
Poison Spyder ftw

I've got 9/10ths of my weight on the flare in this pic. I weigh about 215.

I Do wish the rear flares were a bit wider. The tires fling everything up & it just sits on the flares like they are a shelf for mud. Kinda sucks, but otherwise I like em. I'd get em again in a heartbeat.
i like your rig. how the 37" IROKs on pavement? I am drivin to work abbout 100 miles per week total and 3X per year visit my family in BlueRidge GA that is about 500 miles round trip from nashville; I have few options on 37"s for my 16" wheels and this is one option I am looking into. Yours is trail only? I would like 17" for the ease of tire selection but like the amount of rubber between the 16" rim and terrafirma . Cooper STT loyalist currently running 35x12.50x16s and they ceased to make the 325/80r16s i was gonna upgrade to. seems i am limited to weak walled bfg km2s in 345/75r16 or creepy crawlers or some Interco ND or move to bias......those look badassed but im betting my DD use would have them worn within two seasons.....opinion welcomed!

<OP; srry to hijack thread like that>

oh, and my vote's for MCE flexibles for weight saving win

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-09-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode