2014 JKU Rubicon 3M Vinyl Wrap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2014 JKU Rubicon 3M Vinyl Wrap

I just vinyl wrapped my 2014 JKU Rubicon matte Indigo. The process was pretty arduous, but I'm really happy with the results. Does anyone else here have any experience with vinyl?

Check out more pictures at my blog if you're interested.
DirtRoadTrip.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon
2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time, taking our trucks well off the beaten path one day and driving them to work the next!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Rock God

Looks good. You had to really tear it down though for the wrap. Are the door jambs wrapped? Curious as to how it will hold up if you take it on tight trails. I feel like the vinyl would tear instead of the usual pinstriping you get with trees.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #3 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
Looks good. You had to really tear it down though for the wrap. Are the door jambs wrapped? Curious as to how it will hold up if you take it on tight trails. I feel like the vinyl would tear instead of the usual pinstriping you get with trees.
The vinyl is actually very durable and won't tear. We tore down the whole truck to be able to wrap the vinyl around all the seams. Plus we used plenty of seam sealer so I'm not worried about the vinyl coming up anytime soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time, taking our trucks well off the beaten path one day and driving them to work the next!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Rock God

So is it removable or is this more of a permanant thing? I thought wraps were temporary but maybe not.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #5 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looks pretty good! But you have to change your signature though...

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #6 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Rock God

looks great .. ive wrapped a few jks.. holds up great ! it does take some work , a lot of labor.. but worth it i think..
post #7 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
So is it removable or is this more of a permanant thing? I thought wraps were temporary but maybe not.
The wrap is removable, we did have to paint the hinges though for the doors and the trunk. We thought about trying to wrap them but they just didn't hold up very well.

The only part we haven't painted or touched yes is the hinge for the windshield. I left it white, but it's barely noticeable and provides a nice contrast.

post #8 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
Looks pretty good! But you have to change your signature though...
Doh, I'll make the change right now, it's left over from when I had my Land Cruiser.

post #9 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
looks great .. ive wrapped a few jks.. holds up great ! it does take some work , a lot of labor.. but worth it i think..
I hear that salt is the biggest enemy to watch out for, any advice?

post #10 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: 2014 JKU Rubicon 3M Vinyl Wrap

It looks very nice. I am left with two questions after looking at the blog , which you spent some time documenting the nice work and 'wrapping' of the Rubi, these questions being [1] what "'factory pinstripe" on a '14 rubicon are you speaking of as the wrappers ( Mista MC! lol] having had removed along with other badges and [2] if you were going this far to have a blue 2014 Rubicon , why didnt you just buy a blue one ? To continue the second question, I guess I am having to be creative as to the intent and why you wouldn't have just gotten that color or had the whole thing painted or lined like you did the hinges? If it is the novelty of it being that color due to wrappar's delight*, then I suppose I 'get it' but you went so far to paint hinges and seemingly aim for some permanence with this chameleonic alteration and basically the stuff is gonna come off leaving you with some detail to correct. White , debadged and tons of blue stuff hanging on it that you'll have to disassemble it all to get out again? I'd have flat blue painted it or gotten some Durabak ( they have a mix that is just about SPOT ON that color blue) and had a pro auto shop lay that down with a nice gun and blam....permanence for those trails which can be a lot nastier on the sides that I cant make a non-item (being that I own a black JKU) as far as 'definitely gonna happen a lot if you wheel ' ,,,anyway, that is ONLY my humble opinion and I would ask about those two things and other than that this looks very nice. Too bad it wont be around for long....but now youve got an excuse to slap some other color vinyl on there when it is time! ....

post #11 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

So... When are you going to pay to promote your product on here?

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #12 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Rock God

Stub I don't think he is a vendor just a customer. Could be wrong though. I checked out his blog and he sent his JK over to a company to have the work done. Unless there's something you know that I don't.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #13 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Stub I don't think he is a vendor just a customer. Could be wrong though. I checked out his blog and he sent his JK over to a company to have the work done. Unless there's something you know that I don't.
Thanks for the input. No... I'm not aware of anything one way or another. I'm definitely not trying to run anyone off, but idk... The user-name along with the link lead me to believe that there was some direct association.

OP- If you're just a customer then no harm/ no foul. If you're affiliated with the company then please sign up for vendor status. Thanks.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #14 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Why? I don't get it.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan

Last edited by redneck ron; 08-22-2014 at 09:56 PM.
post #15 of 37 Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Thanks for the input. No... I'm not aware of anything one way or another. I'm definitely not trying to run anyone off, but idk... The user-name along with the link lead me to believe that there was some direct association.

OP- If you're just a customer then no harm/ no foul. If you're affiliated with the company then please sign up for vendor status. Thanks.
I'm not a vendor of any kind, and I'm not looking to sell the product. I had the work done by a local shop and I'm just giving them a recommendation. If you check out the link I just run my own blog.

post #16 of 37 Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
It looks very nice. I am left with two questions after looking at the blog , which you spent some time documenting the nice work and 'wrapping' of the Rubi, these questions being [1] what "'factory pinstripe" on a '14 rubicon are you speaking of as the wrappers ( Mista MC! lol] having had removed along with other badges and [2] if you were going this far to have a blue 2014 Rubicon , why didnt you just buy a blue one ? To continue the second question, I guess I am having to be creative as to the intent and why you wouldn't have just gotten that color or had the whole thing painted or lined like you did the hinges? If it is the novelty of it being that color due to wrappar's delight*, then I suppose I 'get it' but you went so far to paint hinges and seemingly aim for some permanence with this chameleonic alteration and basically the stuff is gonna come off leaving you with some detail to correct. White , debadged and tons of blue stuff hanging on it that you'll have to disassemble it all to get out again? I'd have flat blue painted it or gotten some Durabak ( they have a mix that is just about SPOT ON that color blue) and had a pro auto shop lay that down with a nice gun and blam....permanence for those trails which can be a lot nastier on the sides that I cant make a non-item (being that I own a black JKU) as far as 'definitely gonna happen a lot if you wheel ' ,,,anyway, that is ONLY my humble opinion and I would ask about those two things and other than that this looks very nice. Too bad it wont be around for long....but now youve got an excuse to slap some other color vinyl on there when it is time! ....
My Rubicon came with a factory pinstripe down the side of the truck under the windows. It was pretty damn ugly.

I didn't get a blue one because I was a fan of the white. I ended up going with a wrap because it's not really permanent and I can change the color down the line. Getting six hinges painted only costs a couple hundred bucks. Taking the wrap off is substantially easier than paint and I like the cool guy factor of being one of the few if not the only person running this color.

I've run wrapped vehicles before and have had no issue with them off road. If I rub an entire panel on a tree or rock it's going to mess up the vinyl just like paint would. Yes it's going to show pinstriping and I'm fine with that. One of the nice things about the vinyl is that if one section goes bad I can just re-wrap it down the line, and it's cheaper to replace than paint, unless you're getting the driveway special.

I agree that vinyl isn't for everyone, but it costs less than a well done paint job, and it's not as permanent as linex. I'm not a fan of plastidip myself, and the vinyl was the best solution for me. Plus cool guy factor.

post #17 of 37 Old 08-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

He's from DC. He's lying and he probably has friends that lie. Everybody in DC lies. But all jokes aside this post does reek advertisement. But for what ever purpose the OP went through all the trouble to wrap his jeep, it did come out looking EAUX K.

BUT.....I do have a feeling I know where my taxes went last year. "Just a couple of hundred to do hinges"? Hmmm.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 08-23-2014 at 08:47 AM.
post #18 of 37 Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
He's from DC. He's lying and he probably has friends that lie. Everybody in DC lies. But all jokes aside this post does reek advertisement. But for what ever purpose the OP went through all the trouble to wrap his jeep, it did come out looking EAUX K.

BUT.....I do have a feeling I know where my taxes went last year. "Just a couple of hundred to do hinges"? Hmmm.
Removing and painting the door hinges is pretty easy. The cost was only $50 a hinge, 6 hinges and that's $300 bucks. It's really not that expensive to paint small pieces like that. What's really disappointing is Jeep paints the hinges when they are attached to the door so it's bare metal between them.

It's not an advertisement, I just thought someone else who was considering wrapping their JK might be interested in knowing the extensive process required to get it done.

But I can tell you where your taxes went. They went towards buying the HEMI and swap kit from AEV. Thanks for the Christmas present, we'll have it in by the end of the year.

post #19 of 37 Old 08-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Are you Lois G. Lerner's son?

Quote:
post #20 of 37 Old 08-23-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Are you Lois G. Lerner's son?
Yup, I'm her son/idiot intern that accidentally threw away her hard drive.

post #21 of 37 Old 08-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

You're going to fit in well around here. Welcome.

Quote:
post #22 of 37 Old 08-24-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks RubiCajun.

post #23 of 37 Old 08-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Rock God

DirtRoadTrip is good people. Unless something changed in the last two weeks he isn't selling any product. Maybe trying to drive traffic to his blog but no products. If that changes and he doesn't get a yellow star I have a pic of him standing in his briefs with his pants around his ankles that we can share. Although he claims to have no shame so we'll see how far that gets us.

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #24 of 37 Old 08-24-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You're not the only person with a picture of me not wearing pants.

post #25 of 37 Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoadTrip View Post
I'm not a vendor of any kind, and I'm not looking to sell the product. I had the work done by a local shop and I'm just giving them a recommendation. If you check out the link I just run my own blog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19T View Post
DirtRoadTrip is good people. Unless something changed in the last two weeks he isn't selling any product. Maybe trying to drive traffic to his blog but no products. If that changes and he doesn't get a yellow star I have a pic of him standing in his briefs with his pants around his ankles that we can share. Although he claims to have no shame so we'll see how far that gets us.
Thank you. Clarification much appreciated.

I would hope that we could get enough people to ante-up for his yellow star... just so that we wouldn't have to see that pic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode